Date: 19-04-24  Time: 20:17 pm

Author Topic: Flat Battery  (Read 4567 times)

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Flat Battery
« Reply #25 on: 01 December 2018, 02:03:46 pm »
Another thing to keep in mind is if your battery is on it's last legs your charging system will be constantly at full wack trying to charge the dying battery so over time that can cause more serious problems to the charging system

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01 December 2018, 07:29:37 pm »
Another thing to keep in mind is if your battery is on it's last legs your charging system will be constantly at full wack trying to charge the dying battery so over time that can cause more serious problems to the charging system
Could my 20 year old battery be on its last legs, I keep it on an optimiser. How dose the bike charging work then, I thought that the bike constantly charged anyway didn't know there was a two way communication between the battery and the charging system. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01 December 2018, 11:01:48 pm »
Could my 20 year old battery be on its last legs, I keep it on an optimiser. How dose the bike charging work then, I thought that the bike constantly charged anyway didn't know there was a two way communication between the battery and the charging system.

Unbeknowing to most people, rechargeable batteries do have a very short life, even more so when constantly recharged every day.
They'll still work but not at optimum strength or effect.

We buy Lithium camera batteries at work for cameras that cost about £500 a pop and because they're constantly on charge they do tend to lessen in reliability over time.
Our lead acid batteries which i use for my video monitors will again still work over time, but will noticeably have reduced power, even more so in very hot or cold conditions.

Seeing as bike batteries are so small, and what they now need to power, for me for example spotlights, headlights, heated grips, air horn, etc, they do incredibly well.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 December 2018, 09:01:32 am »
Obviously, i'm of the opinion "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but this generally applies to most batteries as a guide for rechargeable batteries.
I do actually replace my phone battery (for an extended life one) every couple of years, firstly because i can, and secondly because they are relatively cheap.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 December 2018, 09:13:32 am »
After doing the headlight mod to have both lights on, i found that they can really put a strain on the battery, especially for me doing short runs every day to and from work in major traffic so the bike isn't even getting a good blast to aid charging, even more so when the cold winters kick in.
Then my heated grips add to the draining of power.
But since i've had the spotlights, i just use them on the way to work, so not only are they brighter than the headlights anyway, whether that be night or day, but they draw very little power so it gives the battery a much better chance of boosting itself back up.

I must add that a new or well conditioned (charged) battery does undoubtedly make the bike run and feel better. I'm not exactly sure why, because once the engine is running you'd simply think the electronics would take over, but it really does make a difference.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 02 December 2018, 12:32:10 pm »
I don't have heated grips but do have the two light mod. But 90% of my rides are traffic free fun rides and then the bike comes home and gets hooked up to the charger/optimater in an insulated cosy garage. 

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02 December 2018, 12:46:45 pm »
Could my 20 year old battery be on its last legs
20 years old :eek     Are you sure?  I ain't sure that's possible. That's one execptional battery.

I did back in my skint skin flint days get 13 years out of a battery.  The car in question was an 83 Cavalier Sri.  My old man bought it when it was 4 years old – it had a GM battery in it – so I’m making the assumption that this was the original battery.

In it’s last year it was getting a weekly charge and at times only just turning the engine over.  Eventually had to ditch it.  When I did pull it out you could see the whole casing was warped. 

I figured 13 years was something of a foccing miracle.  And bike batteries get an even harder time than car batteries I’d say.

From July 1st 2018, the law around motorcycle batteries is changing. After this date, anyone wishing to buy a motorcycle battery with a separate acid pack will require an Explosives, Precursors and Poisons (EPP) Licence, costing £39.50.

For focs sake.  Been happy enough with my Yuasa gel pack batteries.  Usually get 4 to 5 years, which seems OK for turning over the thou.

« Last Edit: 02 December 2018, 01:32:33 pm by VNA »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 02 December 2018, 01:27:05 pm »
I've just changed my original Ford Mondeo battery after 13 years. With another lot of below zero temperatures arriving it wouldn't have taken it.
I think the acid pack issue is because of misuse with rather life changing consequences. Inevitable rule change I'm afraid.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 02 December 2018, 01:33:02 pm »
I think the acid pack issue is because of misuse with rather life changing consequences. Inevitable rule change I'm afraid.
I guess so.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 02 December 2018, 02:54:58 pm »
Could my 20 year old battery be on its last legs
20 years old :eek     Are you sure?  I ain't sure that's possible. That's one execptional battery.

No its a brexit lie  :pokefun

I suppose there is a chance that between 1998 and 2001 when I brought it (01) there could of been a battery change but I was given all the receipts when I brought it. I drained it once back in 2012 trying to start it with knackerd plugs after it being not used for a few weeks so after that I brought the CTECK charger which brought it back to life and then as an optimiserand its been on it ever since after each ride.So from 2001 to 2012 it was never on the charger / optimiser and the bike only about 1000 miles per year BUT they were all non traffic "fun" miles so no silly stuck in traffic ticking over type stuff.Touch-wood the battery seems as strong as ever and I only need to go near the start button and it instantly fires up. 

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 02 December 2018, 03:26:35 pm »
That's impressive.The battery I have in the thou I think is five years old and going for a 6th - that's the best I've managed so far!

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 02 December 2018, 03:59:26 pm »

I suppose there is a chance that between 1998 and 2001 when I brought it (01) there could of been a battery change

What make is it?. The original in mine was 'GS' I think. Even if it had been changed before you bought the bike, which is unlikely, it would still be a long life.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02 December 2018, 04:08:46 pm »

Yes it says in darrsi's Wemoto link that it's a government response to an increase in acid related violent crimes.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 02 December 2018, 04:10:38 pm »

I suppose there is a chance that between 1998 and 2001 when I brought it (01) there could of been a battery change

What make is it?. The original in mine was 'GS' I think. Even if it had been changed before you bought the bike, which is unlikely, it would still be a long life.

Yes I think I remember it being a GS - can not tell in situ but I remember when I took it out

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 02 December 2018, 04:11:35 pm »

Yes it says in darrsi's Wemoto link that it's a government response to an increase in acid related violent crimes.
Very popular with certain communities and now spread.
« Last Edit: 02 December 2018, 05:02:46 pm by fazersharp »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 02 December 2018, 04:32:35 pm »
You mean ex boyfriends of TV reality stars?  :rolleyes

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 02 December 2018, 04:52:03 pm »
 :thumbup
« Last Edit: 02 December 2018, 04:53:42 pm by fazersharp »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 02 December 2018, 05:08:43 pm »
Very popular with certain communities 
Not sure what that means but it's certainly rife. 

Anyway Fazersharp a 20 year old battery in a bike you've had coming on 18 years.Get a new bike ya tight bastard! :lol

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 02 December 2018, 05:31:44 pm »

Early Fazers still on their first batteries aren’t that rare. 
Mine spins the motor up OK and IIRC Red98 is on the original too. :)

Flooky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 02 December 2018, 08:02:22 pm »
On Halfords site:
Yeah cos of twats throwing acid in peoples faces in London, ( moped gangs etc )

What Is Changing?

From July 1st 2018, the law around motorcycle batteries is changing. After this date, anyone wishing to buy a motorcycle battery with a separate acid pack will require an Explosives, Precursors and Poisons (EPP) Licence, costing £39.50. Purchasing acid packs without a licence will be illegal and could incur a fine. To keep things simple for you, we will no longer sell batteries with separate acid packs after July 1st. Instead, we will only stock pre-filled motorcycle batteries from Yuasa - the leading motorcycle battery brand. You won't need a licence to buy these pre-filled batteries and they come fully charged, ready to fit.

Flooky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 02 December 2018, 08:03:28 pm »

I didn't use the quote button properly. sorry

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 02 December 2018, 08:54:00 pm »
Yeah cos of twats throwing acid in peoples faces in London, ( moped gangs etc )
It's been rife, and not just the 'moped gangs'. Revenge by jealous ex partners, fights in clubs etc. Hidden in water bottles, and not obvious like a knife.
Change in the law the only way to go. A minor inconvenience. Hopefully pre filled batteries don't stay on the shelves for long.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 02 December 2018, 09:06:37 pm »
Were people really using gel pack batteries for attacks.A rather expensive and fiddly way to get acid.
But people who carry out acid attacks - well words fail me to be honest.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 02 December 2018, 10:37:49 pm »

Were people really using gel pack batteries for attacks.A rather expensive and fiddly way to get acid.
But people who carry out acid attacks - well words fail me to be honest.

I assume that they were using the 6 compartment acid pack which was supplied with normal lead acid battery's for home filling.

Do gel pack batteries come already filled and sealed?. If so I guess they're unaffected by the legislation. Never bought one so wouldn't know.

Yes they're complete assholes who carry out these attacks.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 02 December 2018, 10:46:32 pm »
Do gel pack batteries come already filled and sealed?. If so I guess they're unaffected by the legislation. Never bought one so wouldn't know.
The battery came empty.  You took the gel pack out of the box and just pushed it into the top of the battery, then leave it for 15 minutes or so.  Check all the gel has dropped into the battery.  Then fit the seal.  Stick it in the bike and press play.
The nice thing is you knew you were getting a band new battery, not somethingt that's been sitting around on a potentially dodgy charging rack for months on end.