Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:57 pm

Author Topic: Changes to Cat A motorcycle test.  (Read 1412 times)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Changes to Cat A motorcycle test.
« on: 29 November 2018, 05:57:01 pm »
As from December 31st, there will be a minimum kerb weight and increase in power for bikes used to gain a full category A motorcycle license. The weight minimum will be 180 kilos and the power output raised from 40 to 50kw (67.1 bhp).
This will rule out the eligibility of a lot of bikes currently used by riding schools.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Changes to Cat A motorcycle test.
« Reply #1 on: 29 November 2018, 08:52:56 pm »
The ER-6 still passes all them marks so I'm sure most bike schools will still be alright.

Its the usual utterly pointless rule changes though, if anything they need to get rid of the stupid age system.... as if being 24 makes you any more qualified to ride a bigger faster bike!?
I personally think the 47bhp limit should be enforced on ALL new riders regardless of age for a minimum of 2 years. No re-test bollocks either, just automatic upgrade to a full license, unless you have acquired speeding points then you should have to wait longer.
It would give everybody the chance to actually learn to ride better on a machine that isnt outside their ability before they decide to jump on a 200bhp crotch rocket.
I reckon it would save a fair amount of lives too

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: 29 November 2018, 08:54:07 pm »
:agree

Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 November 2018, 10:25:18 pm »
Must admit that apart from not having a CBT style test before riders are let out on the road, I really do think that the system from my biking youth (the 1970's) was the best and would still be suitable today.

16 - pass a CBT and then be able to ride a moped (unrestricted).

17 - with a CBT, able to ride up to 250cc until a "Full" test is passed.

The traffic today is so much faster all around - even small car performance (e.g. Micra/Aygo/C2/fiesta) is better than the old 1.6 litre (and most "big" 2 litre) cars of the 70's - that small bikes are so much more of an obstruction to the flow of traffichat they are far more dangerous to both their riders and other road users, than they were in my time.

This wholesale blinkered focus on "power" grading, without due consideration of the developments in every other area of vehicle design/performance has completely eroded the position of motorcyclists on the roads - especially the newer, but still capable and experienced riders.

Adam2201

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 November 2018, 10:46:10 pm »
The ER-6 still passes all them marks so I'm sure most bike schools will still be alright.

Its the usual utterly pointless rule changes though, if anything they need to get rid of the stupid age system.... as if being 24 makes you any more qualified to ride a bigger faster bike!?
I personally think the 47bhp limit should be enforced on ALL new riders regardless of age for a minimum of 2 years. No re-test bollocks either, just automatic upgrade to a full license, unless you have acquired speeding points then you should have to wait longer.
It would give everybody the chance to actually learn to ride better on a machine that isnt outside their ability before they decide to jump on a 200bhp crotch rocket.
I reckon it would save a fair amount of lives too

100% agree. You won't ever use the full 67bhp on the street doing your A license test - even if you pin the throttle open to get up to speed for a dual carriageway - so in that sense there's no difference between the current A2 and A (in terms of the test). 

If the worry is that people are jumping on litre bikes without experience, then a 2 year probation at 47bhp (with automatic upgrade) makes much more sense. 

If you do A2 and A separately with a school, you're looking at well over a grand in lessons and fees.

DaveFX8

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ8 11-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 November 2018, 08:31:54 pm »

the issue with no retest is the last time they ride in 2 years is on their test then two years on they can ride what they like surely this will make them less qualified and 100% less experienced

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 November 2018, 08:39:15 pm »
It's the same old "hit the bikers", it's ok for some seventeen year old millionares son or whoever to pass his/her test and go and buy a Ferrari,porsche,bmw,etc. and go around like a maniac,but heaven forbid lthey should let a sensible 20 odd year old ride a big Honda/yam/Suzuki,kwak,tourer around,ridiculous. :wall
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: 01 December 2018, 09:27:48 pm »

the issue with no retest is the last time they ride in 2 years is on their test then two years on they can ride what they like surely this will make them less qualified and 100% less experienced

This though is a safer route than when I took my test. When I did mine in the dark ages, you took your test on a 125 (the 250 rule had just been changed) at 17 and went home to drag your z1000 out of the shed.

No experience, straight onto the big boys.

I am in favour of a graduated increase but not through forced testing. Darwin will sort out the wheat from the chaff.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 December 2018, 10:04:18 pm »

This though is a safer route than when I took my test. When I did mine in the dark ages, you took your test on a 125 (the 250 rule had just been changed) at 17 and went home to drag your z1000 out of the shed.

No experience, straight onto the big boys.

I am in favour of a graduated increase but not through forced testing. Darwin will sort out the wheat from the chaff.

Took my test in 1966 in Guildford (St Omar Road) on a 175 BSA Bantam and within a couple of weeks was riding a BSA 650 Rocket Gold Star A10 Parallel twin.

9 months of riding around on L plates, put in for test, arrived at St Omar Road, 12 minutes later riding home without L plates.
I often wonder what the future has in store for motorcycles, younger folk generally are not interested in them, and all us old farts are toppling off the front of the conveyor belt. :angel  

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 December 2018, 08:18:43 am »

I would suggest simplifying the process somewhat as I bet the complexity and expense of obtaining a licence is a factor for some not bothering. There's no reason, given today's technology, that a black box recorder device couldn't be used to log the number of hours ridden by an individual - when certain thresholds have been reached the next stage of power becomes available to the rider, therefore large capacity bikes are 'earned' by time gained. Based on the assumption that there's no substitute for experience.
is it clean enough?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 December 2018, 08:53:31 am »
Most of the worst riders out there are the youngest riding for a living delivering food.
I've lost count of the times i see these twats undertake cars and lorries at the worst opportunist moment going just because a gap has appeared.
And as for these menacing chav pricks on the scooters, it wouldn't bother me if the police were given armour plated vehicles to flatten them with, rather than just shunting them off the road.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.