Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:53 pm

Author Topic: Throttle/carbs issues  (Read 3102 times)

vladgluhovhere

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Throttle/carbs issues
« on: 25 November 2018, 09:57:26 pm »
Hi,

I've taken my carbs out two weeks ago to clean them prior calibration. Happy to say they were very clean, but I went over everything with carb clean anyway. Put everything together, bike starts but my throttle cables seem to be too tight/short and the twist grip is heavy to turn as well, also no slack at all.
Since then I had carbs in and out of the bike multiple times, dissasamled and put them together a few more times. For the past two weeks I just have them in my room, but still was not able to identify the cause of the problem. I double and triple checked the way I set cables in, with no luck.
I'm very desperate at this point, and will be very grateful for any advice. Miss my bike and want to get it back on the road as soon. As possible.

The list of things I've tried (with carbs on and/or off the bike):
- if cables are rooted correctly and not catching on anything while on the bike.
- cables outer housing is at the shortest setting.
- lubing old cables.
- installing new cables (same length, checked many times).
- adjustment on the carb side (shortest setting again).
- obvious damage to carbs (return springs etc).
- TPS, tried with and without it.

Throttle bodies spring back as normal.
I'll include pictures how I attached the cables on carb side and at the throttle tube.

I might have missed something, but I'm very frustrated at this point and will be thankful for any input from you guys.

Cheers,

Vlad
« Last Edit: 25 November 2018, 10:02:17 pm by vladgluhovhere »

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Throttle/carbs issues
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2018, 10:17:22 pm »
Will be interested to see your replies to this as im having similar problem. My throttle isn't heavy , its just developed cruise control. Checked cables , springs etc and all seem fine. Just seems when all connected up something along the way has gone tight. Ive ordered a new set of cables just incase something inside is catching when routed from throttle to carbs. Only thing I can think off.

vladgluhovhere

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2018, 10:22:16 pm »
Will be interested to see your replies to this as im having similar problem. My throttle isn't heavy , its just developed cruise control. Checked cables , springs etc and all seem fine. Just seems when all connected up something along the way has gone tight. Ive ordered a new set of cables just incase something inside is catching when routed from throttle to carbs. Only thing I can think off.

Mine was doing this the first time I put everything together.
Video below.
« Last Edit: 25 November 2018, 10:22:53 pm by vladgluhovhere »

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 November 2018, 10:48:20 pm »
Just seen vid and yep very similar to mine. Only thing I can see there is yours sit slightly higher than mine at throttle entry. And now not too sure if I should cancel new cables as by your pics you have fairly new cables on there. Will have to see if any ideas come up with solution.

vladgluhovhere

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2018, 12:34:59 am »
Just seen vid and yep very similar to mine. Only thing I can see there is yours sit slightly higher than mine at throttle entry. And now not too sure if I should cancel new cables as by your pics you have fairly new cables on there. Will have to see if any ideas come up with solution.
Brand new cables, newer used on bike.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 November 2018, 08:37:21 am »
Have you checked your routing against the diagrams in section 2 of the manual (downloadable here)?

vladgluhovhere

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 November 2018, 12:44:05 pm »
Have you checked your routing against the diagrams in section 2 of the manual (downloadable here)?

Many times. At the moment carbs are off the bike, still same issues.

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 November 2018, 12:53:05 pm »
Make sure your bar ends aren't touching and restricting the movement on the handle grips.

vladgluhovhere

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 November 2018, 03:02:17 pm »
Make sure your bar ends aren't touching and restricting the movement on the handle grips.
I mentioned this in my OP. Happenes off the bike as well.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 November 2018, 03:25:43 pm »
Get a tap and die set and run the thread further up the cable outer.

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 November 2018, 05:09:02 pm »
Wee question regarding routing of cables. I ve seen diagrams of routing throttle cables, but in pics of bikes I see that some are above brake lever and some below. So , what is the right way, above or below lever ? Mine are below just cause it seems neater , although above gives less of a curve to cables. This does not help with [font=] vladgluhovhere problem , but may help when he gets back to fitting them back on the bike.[/font]

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 November 2018, 06:00:31 pm »

Is it friction at the twistgrip itself?
You may have the rubber grip rubbing against the body of the pulley housing, or the bar end weight pressing on the outer end of the grip.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 November 2018, 06:22:42 pm »
Wee question regarding routing of cables. I ve seen diagrams of routing throttle cables, but in pics of bikes I see that some are above brake lever and some below. So , what is the right way, above or below lever ? Mine are below just cause it seems neater , although above gives less of a curve to cables. This does not help with [font=] vladgluhovhere problem , but may help when he gets back to fitting them back on the bike.[/font]
Out over the top in through the cable guide and the right side of the headstock

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 November 2018, 07:28:26 pm »
Thought it would be over the top of brake lever, as this gives less of a curve on cable. I did have a bit of friction when I put on heated grips. A little sanding took care of that. All was free until I connected it all up, so I was thinking cable. My carbs have been off a couple of times , so I may have kinked the cable. Will see what happens with new cables on.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 November 2018, 07:34:23 pm »
You're saying you still have the problem with the carbs out and no tension on the cable? I'd try putting the old cable back in and see does the problem go away. If it does then the new cable is at fault. If it doesn't there must be something wrong in the carbs or you have two faulty cables which seems unlikely. Did you have this problem before you did your work? If not then you know the old cable is good so if there's still a problem when you put the old cable in there must be something wrong in the carbs

vladgluhovhere

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 November 2018, 11:58:10 pm »
I always had them above the grip, this way it's a more "natural" position for them and they move freely.

vladgluhovhere

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 November 2018, 11:59:18 pm »

Is it friction at the twistgrip itself?
You may have the rubber grip rubbing against the body of the pulley housing, or the bar end weight pressing on the outer end of the grip.
Don't even have a rubber grip installed at the moment. But I did check it when I had it in, not the source of the problem.

vladgluhovhere

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 November 2018, 12:02:23 am »
You're saying you still have the problem with the carbs out and no tension on the cable? I'd try putting the old cable back in and see does the problem go away. If it does then the new cable is at fault. If it doesn't there must be something wrong in the carbs or you have two faulty cables which seems unlikely. Did you have this problem before you did your work? If not then you know the old cable is good so if there's still a problem when you put the old cable in there must be something wrong in the carbs
Starter with the old cables, I bought new ones as "last resort" option, which wasn't...
Carbs were out for literature half an hour and I've only done float chamber and jets at the time. When this problem appeared, I rebuilt the carbs completely.

vladgluhovhere

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 November 2018, 02:37:00 am »
A small update:
I gave up on idea to try and fix whatever is not right, and drilled a new hole for the pull cable in the throttle tube, to give it more slack. Now the question is, if it's cleaned and dry carbs are making the throttle harder to turn, since there's nothing to lube moving parts? Will it poasipos change after I run some gas through them?

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 November 2018, 10:10:03 am »

The butterflies aren’t lubricated by fuel, the float bowls being empty won’t have any effect.
I put a drop of oil as near as possible to each bearing point on the pivot shaft, but if the bank of butterflies turn smoothly and snap back OK when the cables aren’t there that doesn’t sound like the cause.
Silly suggestion: have you checked the right cables are on front and back of the carb pulley?
Only asking because the old cable I have to hand has the chunky adjuster on the return side and your photo shows it mounted on the front.

vladgluhovhere

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 November 2018, 11:02:55 am »

The butterflies aren’t lubricated by fuel, the float bowls being empty won’t have any effect.
I put a drop of oil as near as possible to each bearing point on the pivot shaft, but if the bank of butterflies turn smoothly and snap back OK when the cables aren’t there that doesn’t sound like the cause.
Silly suggestion: have you checked the right cables are on front and back of the carb pulley?
Only asking because the old cable I have to hand has the chunky adjuster on the return side and your photo shows it mounted on the front.
Pull cable is longer than push, so it makes sense pull goes at the back and push to the front.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 November 2018, 11:17:35 am »

Pull cable is longer than push, so it makes sense pull goes at the back and push to the front.
Ah, yes. You're right. I'd misremembered the direction the butterflies turn. :o

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 November 2018, 06:39:46 pm »
Is the problem there when no cable is attached? Do the butterfly valves snap back normally when no throttle cable is attached?

vladgluhovhere

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 November 2018, 06:46:56 pm »
Is the problem there when no cable is attached? Do the butterfly valves snap back normally when no throttle cable is attached?
They do, yes

Grib

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 November 2018, 08:11:58 pm »
Just checked the cables on my bike - the two small nuts on the opening cable, longer hex on the closing cable.