Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:39 pm

Author Topic: Electrics have gone crazy  (Read 2344 times)

TomS_

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Electrics have gone crazy
« on: 23 November 2018, 08:53:23 am »
Some months ago, I ran in to a pedestrian that stepped out in front of me from between two cars, looking the other way. It was a relatively low speed impact, and they were apparently just fine, because they simply walked away after it (didnt stop to abuse me, say sorry, ask what the hell, or anything!) Yes I got it on camera.

Since then, somewhat coincidentally, Ive been having some strange issues with my electrics. It could be completely coincidental, and Im hoping that there hasnt been any damage to something.

Anyway, it started with simple things, like I'd turn on the ignition when the headlights were on and start getting a buzzing noise from the dash, the fuel gauge would go over full. Then other things started happening, like the dash would cut out and I would lose the time. Then I would turn the indicators on and they would be very dim and reversed (!!??). Then sometimes I would turn the indicators on and the dash would cut out. Sometimes the dash cuts out and I dont lose the time.

I started suspecting the battery. Maybe the voltage was too low, and the reason for suspecting it is because after a few minutes of running everything would be fine and dandy!
I bought a replacement battery but havent yet installed it as I just moved house etc and other things have taken priority.

But this morning has been the worst so far. It started off as usual. I would turn the headlights off and start it up, then after a minute or two of warming up while I was faffing about with ear plugs, helmet etc I would turn the headlights on, no worries, everything worked as expected. I set off on my commute to work and then everything started going wrong. Trying to use the indicators would cut the dash out and I would lose the time. Seemingly, having the headlights on actually doesnt turn the headlights on, but it does cut the dash out (which means I cant see my speed!) and I cannot indicate, with both indicators dimly lit on the dash. Eventually I figured out that I could indicate if I turned the headlights all the way off, so I had to do most of the commute without headlights just so I could at least indicate. Luckily it wasnt too dark, but I would still have rather had headlights for visibility.

:'(

Has anyone seem crazy behaviour like this? When I ran in to the pedestrian, I did end up covered in some sweet smelling iced coffee drink (sorry, I dont drink coffee so have no idea what it was), and some of it went over some of the controls on the bike. Im wondering if perhaps some of it is causing sticky contacts perhaps? Ive yet to spray some WD40 or similar in to the controls, and now given this morning I am not sure it is related to the battery at all. Final resort is to drop it off at a mechanich I suppose, but thought I'd ask here first if anyone has come across anything like this.

Thanks
« Last Edit: 23 November 2018, 08:56:58 am by TomS_ »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: Electrics have gone crazy
« Reply #1 on: 23 November 2018, 10:54:32 am »
Check the connectors under the left infill panel. They suffer from corrosion and the light tap may have been enough to effect it.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 November 2018, 11:38:27 am »
It sounds like the connection to ground is dodgy.

TomS_

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 November 2018, 12:43:50 pm »
Check the connectors under the left infill panel. They suffer from corrosion and the light tap may have been enough to effect it.

Actually now that you mention this, a friend recently had a similar problem with his FZ6 which resulted in his headlights being a bit intermittent. Turned out to be corrosion affecting a big connector under the fuel tank.

I'll take a look at this. Thanks for the suggestion/reminder!

Prior to moving it spent all of its life outdoors in all of the rain. Now its in a garage and ironically its developing more issues.  :lol
« Last Edit: 23 November 2018, 12:54:08 pm by TomS_ »

TomS_

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 November 2018, 12:44:22 pm »
It sounds like the connection to ground is dodgy.

I'll check this out too. Ive got a good multimeter, so I'll take some measurements and see how I go.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 November 2018, 04:37:55 pm »
As you've already said, check the left hand switch internals, best to take apart & clean properly rather than just spraying with WD40 as it can cause rust,lube with thin (3in1)or silicone oil. 

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 November 2018, 06:14:39 pm »

Completely agree with unfazed had exactly the same symptoms on my 2002-2003 FZS600 a couple of years ago allls sort of weird things Head lights would go out then come back on by themselves indicators stopped working dash lights and clock had a mind of their own. It was the large white coloured multi connector under the left (Clutch lever side) front fairing infillpanel.
Water gets into this multi connector either rain or water from washing and it corrodes inside, washing probably causes it more than rain because of salt that is in washing up liquid.
Remove the infill panel (don't recall if its two or 3 screws) switch ignition on and headlight plus indicators and wiggle the connector and see what happens if things start messing about IE: lights flash on and off dash messes about you have found your problem. there are plenty of post on FOC U about how to make a repair with out going to a lot of expense.
Good luck,
Oh if this does not prove to be the problem their are other connection boxes under the fuel tank that could also be the culprit, but the infill one is where I would start as its the easiest one to get at.

Main earthing wire at the top rear of the engine on the right hand side (Front brake side) is also worth a check. I remove the bolt every couple of years and clean the bolt and point on the engine where it snugs down and smear the area with Vaseline before bolting it back down.   
« Last Edit: 23 November 2018, 06:17:13 pm by tommyardin »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 November 2018, 06:52:30 pm »

Prior to moving it spent all of its life outdoors in all of the rain. Now its in a garage and ironically its developing more issues.  :lol
Tell her, she will be put back out in the rain if she doesn't behave  :lol :lol

TomS_

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2018, 09:30:40 pm »
Tell her, she will be put back out in the rain if she doesn't behave  :lol :lol
:lol

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 November 2018, 10:44:44 pm »

Completely agree with unfazed had exactly the same symptoms on my 2002-2003 FZS600 a couple of years ago allls sort of weird things Head lights would go out then come back on by themselves indicators stopped working dash lights and clock had a mind of their own. It was the large white coloured multi connector under the left (Clutch lever side) front fairing infillpanel.
Water gets into this multi connector either rain or water from washing and it corrodes inside, washing probably causes it more than rain because of salt that is in washing up liquid.
Remove the infill panel (don't recall if its two or 3 screws) switch ignition on and headlight plus indicators and wiggle the connector and see what happens if things start messing about IE: lights flash on and off dash messes about you have found your problem. there are plenty of post on FOC U about how to make a repair with out going to a lot of expense.
Good luck,
Oh if this does not prove to be the problem their are other connection boxes under the fuel tank that could also be the culprit, but the infill one is where I would start as its the easiest one to get at.

Main earthing wire at the top rear of the engine on the right hand side (Front brake side) is also worth a check. I remove the bolt every couple of years and clean the bolt and point on the engine where it snugs down and smear the area with Vaseline before bolting it back down.   

tommyardin good shout on the bolt cleaning,but don't put vaseline (it's not conductive) or anything else onto bolt or area before refitting bolt put it on after, same goes for all connections like this including battery terminals, their needs to be metal to metal for a proper contact. :)
« Last Edit: 23 November 2018, 10:46:12 pm by bandit »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 November 2018, 12:37:22 am »
Cheers for that bandit, I have always done it cos was told it stops battery acid fur building up thinking about I believe your right just brush a little over the connection once it’s made. Job for tomorrow remove earth bolts and clean the vasiline off that some twat put on it  :'(

TomS_

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 November 2018, 01:43:08 pm »
tommyardin good shout on the bolt cleaning,but don't put vaseline (it's not conductive) or anything else onto bolt or area before refitting bolt put it on after, same goes for all connections like this including battery terminals, their needs to be metal to metal for a proper contact. :)

Ive got a little tub of NO-OX-ID grease which is specifically intended for use with electrical contacts.

I took a look at the connectors under the left panel at the front. They look really really good IMO (and I do a reasonable amount of work with electronics etc), still very shiny and golden/brass in appearance, no typical green corosion. Perhaps a little discolouration on the contacts for a thicker black wire which is probably the ground. I did measure its resistance and it came out at practically zero ohms (0.2) so probably that connetion is ok.

The bike starts just fine, so I dont think there is anything funny going on with the connection from the battery to the chassis. I gave it a quick look and it seems fine - not loose, no visible signs of anything untoward.

I added some NO-OX-ID to the connector under the fairing and pulled the connectors apart and pushed them back together a couple of times for good measure. Of course, everything is behaving right now, and I suspect that if I need to dig any deeper Im going to have to take the dash off completely, and right now the cold weather doesnt lend itself nicely to a long project like that.

I also measured the voltage at the battery terminals with the engine off, on, and with some revs. It was varying anywhere from about 12.9 up to about 14 volts, so I suppose the alternator might also be fine and is still able to supply charge to the battery and other accessories.

Yet to take the petrol tank off and look at the connectors under there. I might try that tomorrow. For now the mystery remains...

TomS_

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 December 2018, 08:08:58 pm »

Small update.

It has been behaving over the past week or so. Since doing that little bit of work I havent had the buzzing any more, so perhaps there was a little bit of corrosion in there preventing a proper contact, and that is now a little better. I'll keep my eye on it.

On to the next project for now I think, heated grips!

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 December 2018, 08:37:46 pm »
No-one else seems to have asked, so I must be stupid. What the heck is the gloopy stuff dripping after the impact?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 December 2018, 09:15:36 pm »
I believe it's the coffee that the pedestrian was carrying.

Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 December 2018, 10:06:52 pm »
I believe it's the coffee that the pedestrian was carrying.

No no, that’s headlight fluid. It should be kept always topped up.

TomS_

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 December 2018, 09:32:39 am »
No-one else seems to have asked, so I must be stupid. What the heck is the gloopy stuff dripping after the impact?

Some iced coffee kind of drink.

My gear and bike smelled like a really sweet coffee for a week after that.

edit: oops, bit late to the party.

The guy didnt really seem to give much of a shit. If I had the camera on my helmet you'd have gotten a better view of what happened after. He just threw what was left of his coffe on the ground and walked off.
« Last Edit: 07 December 2018, 09:34:21 am by TomS_ »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 December 2018, 09:52:32 pm »
If you ran into him as hard as it looks it was probably shit after he had a bowel loosening moment   

TomS_

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 December 2018, 09:10:15 pm »
If you ran into him as hard as it looks it was probably shit after he had a bowel loosening moment
:lol