Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > FZS600 Fazer

Electrics have gone crazy

(1/4) > >>

TomS_:
Some months ago, I ran in to a pedestrian that stepped out in front of me from between two cars, looking the other way. It was a relatively low speed impact, and they were apparently just fine, because they simply walked away after it (didnt stop to abuse me, say sorry, ask what the hell, or anything!) Yes I got it on camera.

Since then, somewhat coincidentally, Ive been having some strange issues with my electrics. It could be completely coincidental, and Im hoping that there hasnt been any damage to something.

Anyway, it started with simple things, like I'd turn on the ignition when the headlights were on and start getting a buzzing noise from the dash, the fuel gauge would go over full. Then other things started happening, like the dash would cut out and I would lose the time. Then I would turn the indicators on and they would be very dim and reversed (!!??). Then sometimes I would turn the indicators on and the dash would cut out. Sometimes the dash cuts out and I dont lose the time.

I started suspecting the battery. Maybe the voltage was too low, and the reason for suspecting it is because after a few minutes of running everything would be fine and dandy! I bought a replacement battery but havent yet installed it as I just moved house etc and other things have taken priority.

But this morning has been the worst so far. It started off as usual. I would turn the headlights off and start it up, then after a minute or two of warming up while I was faffing about with ear plugs, helmet etc I would turn the headlights on, no worries, everything worked as expected. I set off on my commute to work and then everything started going wrong. Trying to use the indicators would cut the dash out and I would lose the time. Seemingly, having the headlights on actually doesnt turn the headlights on, but it does cut the dash out (which means I cant see my speed!) and I cannot indicate, with both indicators dimly lit on the dash. Eventually I figured out that I could indicate if I turned the headlights all the way off, so I had to do most of the commute without headlights just so I could at least indicate. Luckily it wasnt too dark, but I would still have rather had headlights for visibility.

:'(

Has anyone seem crazy behaviour like this? When I ran in to the pedestrian, I did end up covered in some sweet smelling iced coffee drink (sorry, I dont drink coffee so have no idea what it was), and some of it went over some of the controls on the bike. Im wondering if perhaps some of it is causing sticky contacts perhaps? Ive yet to spray some WD40 or similar in to the controls, and now given this morning I am not sure it is related to the battery at all. Final resort is to drop it off at a mechanich I suppose, but thought I'd ask here first if anyone has come across anything like this.

Thanks

unfazed:
Check the connectors under the left infill panel. They suffer from corrosion and the light tap may have been enough to effect it.

Fazerider:
It sounds like the connection to ground is dodgy.

TomS_:

--- Quote from: unfazed on 23 November 2018, 10:54:32 am ---Check the connectors under the left infill panel. They suffer from corrosion and the light tap may have been enough to effect it.

--- End quote ---

Actually now that you mention this, a friend recently had a similar problem with his FZ6 which resulted in his headlights being a bit intermittent. Turned out to be corrosion affecting a big connector under the fuel tank.

I'll take a look at this. Thanks for the suggestion/reminder!

Prior to moving it spent all of its life outdoors in all of the rain. Now its in a garage and ironically its developing more issues.  :lol

TomS_:

--- Quote from: Fazerider on 23 November 2018, 11:38:27 am ---It sounds like the connection to ground is dodgy.

--- End quote ---

I'll check this out too. Ive got a good multimeter, so I'll take some measurements and see how I go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version