Date: 29-03-24  Time: 14:08 pm

Author Topic: Clutch Cable  (Read 895 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Clutch Cable
« on: 21 November 2018, 05:55:28 am »
I replaced my clutch cable yesterday as i heard and felt something crack through the lever and thought a metal strand had broken or something similar.
But it turned out to be the little plastic sleeve thingy that covers the nipple at the top end of the cable that slots into the lever.

With this plastic on, it does fit very snugly, but my question is what the hell is it there for, and could i have just cleaned out the lever of debris, put the cable end back into the lever and readjusted it again at both ends without any problems?

I don't see the point in it being there at all? If the end needs to move slightly then make the sleeve out of metal, not thin plastic which i think has been disintegrated by the lithium grease i put on the lever for a smoother action.
I've looked at a few photo's on Google and some ends have it and some don't, but i would guess that if they don't have it then the nipple part would have to be bigger to compensate? (wahey)

This is the clearest photo i could get, the top end has the yellow plastic part on the left of the photo. The old cable itself seems fine other than the perished plastic part, so i've kept hold of it as a spare for now.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FZS600-Fazer-98-03-CLUTCH-CABLE-428815/283178100226?epid=1123867147&hash=item41eebae602:g:cW4AAOSwAnlbqUmk:rk:7:pf:0
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fatbloke62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Cable
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2018, 04:28:42 pm »
If you have used a tsx cable  keep your original one  ,I had two of these for the 1000 , the first didn't fit, the second lasted three weeks brought a genuine one in the end no issues since

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2018, 08:12:26 pm »
The same happened to me on my old yx600 radian. Fitted a new clutch cable (came with plastic sleeve), within a couple of weeks the plastic sleeve had split. Fortunately, the old cable was still kicking around in the garage waste bin, so I swapped the little sleeve for the original metal one. Still on the bike when I sold it a few years later. Ive the habit of not chucking little things like that away, got a jar full of em. Junk the wife calls it

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 November 2018, 10:05:52 pm »
It's probably in there to reduce friction and wear between the aluminium lever and the steel end on the cable. The hole in the lever for the cable eventually wears into an oval and you have to replace it

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2018, 01:25:59 pm »
I seem to recall that little cover being metal before, although i could be wrong?
It’ll do for now anyway, but i’ll get a Yamaha one next time.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.