Date: 28-03-24  Time: 16:17 pm

Author Topic: Bells Palsey  (Read 3642 times)

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Bells Palsey
« on: 19 November 2018, 01:40:36 pm »

Anyone here had it?
How long before you partially/fully recovered?
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
Re: Bells Palsey
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2018, 04:22:41 pm »
My mum had it some 20 yrs ago - took about 3 months to totally recover (improved slightly after 3 weeks) if i remember rightly. Hope all is ok.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 November 2018, 04:46:21 pm »
A good friend had it about 15 years ago. It took about 3-4 months for him to get back to a "normal life", which he leads very successfully, but he'll never "fully" recover.

The small remaining impacts are dealt with as the new "normal" now and he's just gotten on with life - getting himself fit, getting work promotions and just enjoying his life.

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 November 2018, 05:12:57 pm »
I don't think it took Chris Walker long before he'd got pretty much back to normal,I suppose it depends on the severity of the individual.
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 November 2018, 08:41:41 pm »
My daughter in law had it and it was about 3 months before she was ok, but you need to be very careful with your eye.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: 19 November 2018, 09:33:14 pm »
I woke up Wednesday morning with it. Ambulance service were great but East Slurry Hospital wernt so good. Focusing is difficult due to the eye not being able to blink and speech isnt great either so doing my job is pretty impossible at the moment as I spend all day reading/writing on the computer or on conference calls.
Just trying to work out when I might be "fit" to work again. I dont mind having time off but getting very bored already.
I may try driving the car tommorrow but wont be trying to ride the FZS again till I can blink properly.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 November 2018, 10:09:20 pm »

I'd heard of this condition, but didn't know anything about it until today when I looked it up.

It must be quite frightening for sufferers when it suddenly strikes and you're unaware of what it is.

The prognosis is good though isn't it. Apparently most people make a full recovery within 9 months and the consensus of opinion on here seems to be 3 months.

Hope you make a speedy recovery. All best wishes.

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 November 2018, 11:44:56 pm »
I woke up Wednesday morning with it. Ambulance service were great but East Slurry Hospital wernt so good. Focusing is difficult due to the eye not being able to blink and speech isnt great either so doing my job is pretty impossible at the moment as I spend all day reading/writing on the computer or on conference calls.
Just trying to work out when I might be "fit" to work again. I dont mind having time off but getting very bored already.
I may try driving the car tommorrow but wont be trying to ride the FZS again till I can blink properly.

That's rough for you mate,I hope you make a swift recovery, whatever you do don't tell the DVLA they won't give a flying fuck how long they keep your licence,whether they know for a fact the recovery is quick or not,my mate had a mini stroke and it was a small one,he was back to normal very quickly but told the DVLA thinking it was the right thing to do,it was nearly 2 years before they got round to re/examining him and that was after him sending countless e/mails and telling them his job was on the line.The less they know the better,don't tell them fuck all. :wall

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: 20 November 2018, 10:28:38 am »
That's rough for you mate,I hope you make a swift recovery, whatever you do don't tell the DVLA they won't give a flying fuck how long they keep your licence,whether they know for a fact the recovery is quick or not,my mate had a mini stroke and it was a small one,he was back to normal very quickly but told the DVLA thinking it was the right thing to do,it was nearly 2 years before they got round to re/examining him and that was after him sending countless e/mails and telling them his job was on the line.The less they know the better,don't tell them fuck all. :wall

thanks. It isn't a notifiable condition and the doctor has said I can drive (I did ask) but I sont feel I can at the moment with the vision issue. Many others would though.

As for not telling DVLA if it was notifiable, you would be stupid not to. Failing to tell them invalidates your insurance.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 November 2018, 11:59:12 am »

Anyone here had it?
How long before you partially/fully recovered?

My daughter spent 5 months in South Africa working with orphaned children in a charity run centre,she made a friend of another English girl whilst out there and they flew back to the UK on the same flight. During that flight one side of my daughters face drooped/sagged, almost fell downwards, her friend thought she was somehow messing about (She is a wind up merchant) but when her face sagged so much that she thought my daughters eye could fall out she screamed and cabin crew came a dealt with her fortunately there was someone on board with medical knowledge of the condition, after about 2 hours my daughter slowly started to look a bit better.
Thankfully no long term damage was done, no one knows what caused it and doctors have said it is unlikely to happen again. Seems like complete loss of muscle control.
Here is pic of daughter now aged 22 stood between me and mum, pic taken 3 years after Bells Palsey incident.
Daughter took about 3 or 4 days to completely recover, apparently she was fortunate as it can take up to a year in bad cases, some sadly never really recover but I believe that is quite rare.
Wish you a speedy recovery BB
« Last Edit: 20 November 2018, 12:03:10 pm by tommyardin »

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 November 2018, 02:00:57 pm »
I have had it three times on the right side of my face and twice on the left, which is apparently very rare. Mine has been bought on by an allergic reaction or a cold draught.

If the have you on the anti virals and steroids you should see an improvement in a few days to a few weeks. As said it can take 3-4 months to fully recover, though you may always have some deficit.

Tape your eye shut at night or wear a patch to stop damage to your eye, rubbing your eye on your pillow as you sleep.

Take care eating that you don't bite the inside of your mouth or tongue. And drinking can cause issues with a floppy mouth.

You get used to it after a few weeks and can normally go back to work.

You should also get physio for the face, which also speeds recovery up.

There is a side effect for the steroids, they made me fat, well fatter.  :rollin

Good luck and take it easy.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 November 2018, 02:11:23 pm »
There was a train of thought many years ago that severe drafts like driving in cold weather with the window open inflamed the seventh cranial nerve or the area around it.  The reason was because many truck drivers suffered from it.
Take care, not sure if driving the bike is a good idea as the risk to you eye is to great (infection, dust etc). Did you get an eye patch to wear against dust?
You might be as good looking as Tommys daughter when you recover  :D

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 November 2018, 02:17:51 pm »
There was a train of thought many years ago that severe drafts like driving in cold weather with the window open inflamed the seventh cranial nerve or the area around it.  The reason was because many truck drivers suffered from it.
Take care, not sure if driving the bike is a good idea as the risk to you eye is to great (infection, dust etc). Did you get an eye patch to wear against dust?
You might be as good looking as Tommys daughter when you recover  :D

That's very nice of you to say Unfazed, you are a sweetie lol!

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 November 2018, 02:59:36 pm »
I have had it three times on the right side of my face and twice on the left, which is apparently very rare. Mine has been bought on by an allergic reaction or a cold draught.
That is rare indeed, I know of quite a few who had it, but never knew anyone who had it more than once. :eek

acid drop

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Yamaha MT-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 November 2018, 05:42:15 pm »
Sorry to hear your not to good at present but think positive and get well soon, your input is needed on three word story. Yours acid drop
« Last Edit: 20 November 2018, 05:43:24 pm by acid drop »

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 November 2018, 12:15:58 am »
I can't believe how common it is since reading the posts here. :eek

Flooky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 November 2018, 03:55:50 pm »

Yeah I know two people had it both better after 3 ish months

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 November 2018, 10:09:55 pm »
Hope you make a speedy recovery BB

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 November 2018, 02:02:45 pm »
sorry to hear of your predicament mate, only experience I have had, is of a workmate who woke up with it (15 years ago). Think it took about 3 months to settle and get back to normal. Fingers crossed for you ;)
fire never sleeps

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #19 on: 08 January 2019, 08:07:46 pm »
Well, 8 weeks on and the paralysis is recovering well but the eyes are still playing up. Hopefully I will be back at work soon!

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 January 2019, 08:51:41 pm »
Well, 8 weeks on and the paralysis is recovering well but the eyes are still playing up. Hopefully I will be back at work soon!
That's serious shit.  Hope you make a 100% full recovery.

celticbiker

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 January 2019, 09:00:40 pm »
Good to read things are getting better.
Keep in good spirits, Hafthor Bjornsson has bells palsey and he has just become worlds strongest man.
« Last Edit: 08 January 2019, 09:02:09 pm by celticbiker »
(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help
(")-(") him gain world domination!

Northern Biker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 January 2019, 11:13:10 pm »
Glad to hear things are improving for you.
A friend of mine had it a few years ago, she was fully recovered after about 5-6 months and has been OK since.
Hope things get much better for you soon, the general consensus seems to be about 4-6 months.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 March 2019, 08:14:29 pm »
Wondering how you are getting on BBRROWN? 

Have you fully recovered? 

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #24 on: 08 March 2019, 09:19:00 pm »
Getting there VNA. Thanks.

I have been back at work 4 weeks now on a graduated return. Should be full time next week just in time to take the holiday I carried over from last year as a result of the BP.
Paralysis wise, I am 90% recovered now and seeing a physio again on Tuesday. Should get some further improvement. Biggest issue for me has been  my eyes. Inability to focus for any length of time on a screen.