Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:46 pm

Author Topic: How not to track down a stolen bike  (Read 1415 times)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
How not to track down a stolen bike
« on: 18 November 2018, 12:43:13 pm »
I've posted this on the Facebook page, but I thought I'd add it here too.
A cautionary tale for those of you who, on reading a story about a stolen bike, respond with how you'd "track them down and give them a good kicking" or similar...

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/17216870.you-coward-vigilante-steven-walden-batters-motorcyclist-after-knocking-him-off-bike/

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: How not to track down a stolen bike
« Reply #1 on: 18 November 2018, 02:53:54 pm »
The judge only branded him a cowardly bully because he did a runner after giving the thief a kicking :pokefun
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 November 2018, 03:48:39 pm »
I've read this story elswhere earlier in the week.
Wasn't it a case of mistaken identity and the suspected 'thief' was actually totally innocent?.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 November 2018, 04:36:30 pm »
The story seems to read that the biker had become friends with the aggressive car drivers ex-girlfriend, now I wonder if there was a ulterior motive behind that attack. :rolleyes 

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 November 2018, 07:04:18 pm »
The story seems to read that the biker had become friends with the aggressive car drivers ex-girlfriend, now I wonder if there was a ulterior motive behind that attack. :rolleyes

I, like most of us hate the trash who nick our bikes but this is a bit over the top especially if his motive was because he'd gone off with his girlfriend and he's using this as an excuse,he didn't even know for sure if he'd stolen the bike. :(
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 November 2018, 01:49:38 pm »
Plus you don't know the person riding around on your (stolen) bike hasn't just bought it and infact is an innocent party.

There was a case a few years ago of a guy walking home after going out to buy tea/wine etc. Car stopped beside him, "offenders" got out and tried to steal his wallet plus drink etc etc.
He was a Black belt in some martial art, overpowered them plus infact broke one of their arms. THEY sued him for damaged caused and they won compensation (from his own pocket)!

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 November 2018, 02:35:05 pm »
Plus you don't know the person riding around on your (stolen) bike hasn't just bought it and infact is an innocent party.

There was a case a few years ago of a guy walking home after going out to buy tea/wine etc. Car stopped beside him, "offenders" got out and tried to steal his wallet plus drink etc etc.
He was a Black belt in some martial art, overpowered them plus infact broke one of their arms. THEY sued him for damaged caused and they won compensation (from his own pocket)!

Seems about right now days.
You can not use force to protect your own possessions any more.

A good few years ago during a storm a large branch fell from a Scotch Pine that was in a neighbours garden onto my patio, it bounced on the patio and hit my french doors, no damage done.
So the next day I looked at the tree and seeing other branches that were in a poor condition I walked around to the neighbour to ask if it would be OK if I got a tree surgeon in to take out some of the dead and dying wood. (the tree is about 70 - 80 foot) A young man around 16 or 17 answered the door, so I asked if I could speak to the man of the house, he told me he was the man of the house, so I asked to speak to his mother and was told she was not in and would not be back until quite late that night, he asked what it was about and after a chat he said of course please carry on but please don't take any more than is necessary, I thanked him and told him I was happy to pay the costs and get rid of the old branches and would he let his mother know.

Two weeks later Barry the Tree Surgeon showed up with his pickup and chipper, he threw a rope over a branch and was up the tree like a squirrel, small chain saw dangling from his waist on a rope, he removed the dead branches and lowered then using the rope he had climbed up with, very efficient.

Ten minutes into the operation a woman she must of been standing on something stuck her big fat face over the 6 foot fence screaming that I had no right to cut branches off her tree, Barry stopped and I tried to explain about the branch hitting my French doors and the fact that we often put my son in his pram out on the patio to have a afternoon nap when weather allowed, I also told he about my conversation with the young man but she would not listen and was shouting and screaming about getting the police. I tried to be understanding and serious about it but inside I was laughing about it, it was surreal in some was.
I said look what are we supposed to do if a branch came down and hit a member of my family or fell across my son's pram injuring him or worse? She replied claim on your insurance that is what its for. Anyway I said something to her and I believe she understood completely, because she disappeared from the fence and I heard no more. Barry completed the job and left everything clean and tidy.

About a week later a knock on my door and it was the Arboriculturist form my local council, He wanted to know why I had cut the tree without seeking permission first, he also said that a lot of trees in the area have a blanket preservation order on them, I asked him if that particular tree did and he said he wasn't sure, but if it did I could find myself in court. He told me that I can not just go around cutting branches off others trees willy-nilly. I explained the whole story about my French doors and my son's pram being out my patio, his reply was he didn't care about that, but I should not cut any more branches from the tree or I would find myself in court, he is now on my patio at the back of my house looking up at said tree, I said to him if I am going to appear in court I will make it worth while, I asked him if he had ever had a busted jaw, he said no why? I told him he was on a 15 second count down, he was out my front gate in 12 seconds. The young man from the neighbours house was a pleasant young guy his mother was a evil bitch, thankfully they have since moved and the new neighbour is brilliant.

The point of this waffle is that you do not have many rights anymore to protect your own property or family.               
« Last Edit: 28 November 2018, 02:44:45 pm by tommyardin »