Date: 18-04-24  Time: 22:44 pm

Author Topic: Cobra brake lines  (Read 1212 times)

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Cobra brake lines
« on: 06 November 2018, 10:31:30 am »
Looking around for some braided brake lines as an upgrade for this winter as part of an overhaul of the whole system.

A couple of forum posts from another site say these guys operate under license from HEL and therefore have the same standard/quality. That's great as they are far cheaper. Too good to be true right? Anybody have any experience with these guys?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Yamaha-FZS600-Fazer-1998-2003-2-front-1-rear-Cobra-Braided-Brake-Hoses/183513967441?hash=item2aba48eb51:g:sdsAAOSwJQdXDRVu:rk:5:pf:0

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Cobra brake lines
« Reply #1 on: 06 November 2018, 10:42:47 am »
You should get 25% off from Hel using whatever the current discount code is via this forum, that would include fluid as well. I'll try and find the current code.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 November 2018, 10:54:08 am »
Hel25 works, just tried it. :thumbup
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 November 2018, 11:12:26 pm »
Thanks for the tips guys. I tried the HEL25 code and it worked (so then I tried HEL50 but alas, no luck)

Even with the promo the Cobra lines are still around 12 quid cheaper so I went with them. Is it unwise to skimp on brake parts? Probably, but they are fully certified and I get the idea from the ebay shop that it's a one man band kinda deal using HEL standard gear at local bloke prices.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 November 2018, 05:59:02 am »
Pads and tyres i do not scrimp money on at all, there's just no real excuse to not put your safety first when it comes to stopping or riding in wet conditions.
I put Venhill lines on my bike years ago and they've been spot on.
I think if you buy braided lines then you'd be hard done by if they didn't last the lifetime of these bikes.
My lines failed on me when i first bought my bike but the fella who owned it before me used it as a bit of a toy and i reckon it was due to crash damage of some sort as the fairing has obvious damage repair to it. When i say fail, i was getting a pulsing feeling as if i was braking on a cobblestone road.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 November 2018, 09:23:18 am »
Yea I read about that in an old thread daarsi. Was it warped discs or did replacing the lines solve the problem?

What pads do you favour then? Im gonna do a complete overhaul of the brakes as I've had the bike 2 years and I've no idea when it was last done.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 November 2018, 08:58:01 pm »
Yea I read about that in an old thread daarsi. Was it warped discs or did replacing the lines solve the problem?

What pads do you favour then? Im gonna do a complete overhaul of the brakes as I've had the bike 2 years and I've no idea when it was last done.

No, it was the lines that were knackered, not warped discs which was the common diagnosis but the wrong one.

I use SBS Ceramic on the rear, they work very well and aren't dusty.
Been using Galfer pads on the front because they kept selling them on offer on Ebay, they're normally quite expensive, and they've worked very well, lasted a long time and been extremely kind to the discs.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 07 November 2018, 09:08:01 pm by darrsi »