Date: 20-04-24  Time: 06:50 am

Author Topic: Fitting Ivan’s slip on kit, who does it now ?  (Read 1508 times)

Stinka

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Fitting Ivan’s slip on kit, who does it now ?
« on: 05 November 2018, 01:48:01 pm »
So I contacted my local bike tuner and dyno guy, he said he’s done a few and that it would be £295 to fit and set up on dyno, and that it might be an extra £20 if the supplied jets are wrong ...

I thought he can’t know what he’s on about as everything is correct with the slip on kit to my knowledge?!

Anyway I figured this was extortionate and I’d probably be better off doing it myself and saving £300 lol. But watched a vid on YouTube and it does look pretty bloody fiddly and drawn out...

So falcon is not fitting any more, anyone else ?

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting Ivan’s slip on kit, who does it now ?
« Reply #1 on: 05 November 2018, 03:57:43 pm »
im doin me own. once you've read through it a coupla times, its pretty straightforward I reckon mate. last one I did myself was on a triumph trident (early bloor one), and it wasn't that bad. Im gonna take me time, follow the add on advice Mikes given, should be ok. The one thing I'll do slightly differently is cut the springs a little less to allow for heating the tang cutoff then pushing it up to sit flat against the bottom of the spring, so it ends up exactly to the last dimension mike gave me.

Stinka

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 November 2018, 04:07:43 pm »
Fair enough mate. What’s that bit you’re on about with the springs ?

Please take some close up pics of various bits if you can be arsed, would be interested to see as much as I can

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 November 2018, 08:11:39 pm »
Ive cut down springs when servicing air rifles, and the crack with them is to cut them, then file a flat on them, then heat the cut tang to cherry red and quickly push it down on the vice so it looks like a stock spring if that makes sense. It just neatens em up and does away with the risk of the tang snagging. it may be its not necessary on carb springs (ive never cut one down) but im guessing it'll need some sort of tidy up, even f its not that drastic. it is literally just tidying up the "pigtail"
« Last Edit: 05 November 2018, 08:16:07 pm by ogri48 »

Stinka

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 November 2018, 08:28:29 pm »
I get you mate  :)

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 November 2018, 09:03:12 pm »
With the throttle slide springs, simply cut them and then bend the cut end down until it's parallel with the uncut end.  That's enough to stop it snagging in the carb top.

Although Ivan says you can cut up to 3/4" of an inch off the spring, I cut no more than 1/2" off.  The reason is that the springs take a bit of a 'set' over time and become shorter than their new length.  Too short and the throttle response can get a bit unpredictable when you open the taps smartly.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 November 2018, 09:19:34 pm »
all good and much appreciated advice mike. Im actually looking forward to doing it. I had the carbs off and on four times on that zzr11 I resurrected, though there was plenty of room to get them out in truth.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 November 2018, 06:19:37 pm »
I've installed the Slip-on kit twice now, but this time round I took the Dremel to the carb boots for an extra pony or two.  Partial stripdown also presents a good opportunity to remove the AIS octopus on top of the cylinder head  ;)
The pin vice hole widening is the only thing to be slightly wary of: follow all the excellent instructions online & you'll be fine.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 November 2018, 03:41:34 pm »
Doing the intake stubs with the Slip-On kit is something I tried years ago before installing the MB kit/Full Monty on my own bike.  I did it as an interim step out of curiosity and I also noticed a slight improvement in the rate at which the motor gained revs. 

If you're competent with a dremel tool and feel like giving it a go, crack on.  It won't be a waste of time, put it that way. :)