Date: 28-03-24  Time: 16:16 pm

Author Topic: BREXIT  (Read 209779 times)

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Just for VNA a brexit thread
« Reply #650 on: 01 December 2018, 01:08:58 pm »
So you're better informed, more independant minded and a greater expert on these matters than this Minford bloke? :rolleyes .

Ah I see nobody is allowed an opinion other than YamFazFan. :eek

My apologies, I didn't realise it was just opinion and not fact. You sounded like you categorically knew better than him ;)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: 01 December 2018, 01:19:04 pm »
We as ordinary punters read or listen to the experts then make up our minds.  We make up our minds as to which expert makes the most sense. 

From the London School of Economics - http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/the-britain-alone-scenario-how-economists-for-brexit-defy-the-laws-of-gravity/#Author

Summing up
Alternative economic models have different advantages and drawbacks and are suited for different purposes. Unfortunately, Minford’s model is inconsistent with two basic facts about international trade: first, that trade satisfies the gravity equation; and second, that the EU has been trade-creating, not simply a tool for trade diversion.
This implies that the model will give very unreliable predictions of the consequences of Brexit for trade and living standards. When we analyse the same scenario considered by Minford using a more realistic assessment of how UK ‘unilateral trade liberalisation’ could actually work, we find (alongside just about everyone else) that Brexit still leads to a decline in UK living standards.
Minford’s ‘Liverpool model’ with its 1970s vintage of perfect markets everywhere has a bad track record when it comes to policy analysis. For example, in 1997 the model predicted that the proposed national minimum wage would mean millions more unemployed. Subsequent evaluations of the minimum wage have shown that the actual effect was rather less – zero, in fact (Metcalf, 2008).
Like the other 1970s hit, we Won’t Get Fooled Again.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: 01 December 2018, 01:24:56 pm »
 Remaining in the EU will kick the SNP and others call for a second Independence referendum into the long grass.

The Tories have been accusing Nicola Sturgeon of playing BREXIT for a second referendum.

Yet in the last week or so the SNP have come out and backed the so called ‘People’s Vote’. 

So ask yourself why would they do this?

And can I come back to the one thing I think Minford is absolutely right about;

Minford admits his model predicts that the policy would cause the ‘elimination’ of UK manufacturing and a large increase in wage inequality.

So tell me YamFazFan do you want to see UK manufacturing eliminated?

« Last Edit: 01 December 2018, 01:26:56 pm by VNA »

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: 01 December 2018, 02:12:51 pm »

And can I come back to the one thing I think Minford is absolutely right about;

Minford admits his model predicts that the policy would cause the ‘elimination’ of UK manufacturing and a large increase in wage inequality.

I think Minford is absolutely wrong about that.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: 01 December 2018, 02:15:11 pm »
Keep thinking Mitford, as in the sisters :rolleyes

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: 01 December 2018, 02:23:22 pm »
It's not just Minford though is it.
Listen to Tim Martin and take a look what he's already done in his chain of Wetherspoons..
He's stopped selling European beers and wines and his prices have come down.
If we all made a conscious effort to boycott European goods, buy British where possible.
Be seen to putting public spaces and parts of gardens aside for allotment to grow our own it would send a clear message to the Facists they we are serious about BREXIT and preparing for a no deal.
That way we may get them back to the negotiating table.
It's called calling their bluff and preparing for every scenario.
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fpoliticaluk.co.uk%2F2018%2F11%2Fwhetherspoons-boss-wins-support-from-audience-as-he-lists-no-deal-brexit-benefits%2F&h=AT2qdkG5Ho0S9aISUQERw66HEbb84saWyRMp2Y5nMNdwol5vTx5Dm3iVWOIX2ajh6GIVTYXOSJ0JaelOMouwLdJM9mtpoLvfoNxqB9jwpMcapLtsXWnXnM8irj4&s=1

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: 01 December 2018, 03:24:29 pm »
No he hasn't and no they haven't. I think he's still selling some Guinness, and I wonder where that's brewed? He's replaced some beers and wines with inferior products  :b
I'd check the term 'fascist' in the dictionary if I were you.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: 01 December 2018, 03:40:23 pm »
Be seen to putting public spaces and parts of gardens aside for allotment to grow our own it
Aye sadly it could come to that.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: 01 December 2018, 03:42:16 pm »
So what do you think will happen to his prices when the pound is worth 80p to the dollar?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: 01 December 2018, 05:22:24 pm »
So what do you think will happen to his prices when the pound is worth 80p to the dollar?

Lets see where you have the proof for that one then. - Or it it another remain goblin, to coin a phrase about unicorns thrown at leavers.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: 01 December 2018, 05:39:39 pm »
[[size=78%]quote author=mtread link=topic=24678.msg288203#msg288203 date=1543677869][/size]

[size=78%]No he hasn't and no they haven't. I think he's still selling some Guinness, and I wonder where that's brewed? He's replaced some beers and wines with inferior products  :b  I'd check the term 'fascist' in the dictionary if I were you.

Sorry, didn't realise you were a beer and wine quality expert too  :b
Some of our wines and beers are on par with what is produced in Europe and is considered to be some of the best in the world.
The wine I make is better, stronger and tastier than all that EU crap....FACT.....hic  :lol

With conditions and soil in the south east suiting the vineyards which are sprouting up all over the place.
But your missing the point.... It's about becoming as self sufficient as possible and sending the message to the protectionism racket that is the EU.
Their bullies and you stand up to bullies.
My sisters run a living museum with a house that has been decorated and furnished in the 1940's era.
They run open days with re-enactors and educate the local children about the world wars with school visits.
The garden has a large area, next to the Anderson shelter, set aside as allotment growing fresh fruit and veg all year round.
Don't you remember the saying"Dig for victory" sadly we are in danger of losing this British bulldog spirit of getting on with it. Something which the Brexiteers have not.
Again it's about sending the message across.
All these so called experts have their own agenda otherwise they'd all be saying the same but their not.
It's about how you see things and who you chose to believe (if any).
That's why it's been so devicive

And if you want to mislead people about Wetherspoons policy they should read this
Just because it may be lesser well known and British doesn't mean it's inferior quality, that's just trash talk.

https://www.independent.ie/business/brexit/wetherspoon-pubs-to-stop-selling-eu-produced-drinks-in-run-up-to-brexit-37008191.html

[/size]
« Last Edit: 01 December 2018, 05:42:33 pm by dazza »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: 01 December 2018, 05:59:28 pm »
But your missing the point....
No I'm not. I'm correcting what you said. He's not replacing ALL European beers and wines, just a few.
As for being an 'expert', I think I was brewing beer and making wine while you were still in short trousers :b

And as for replacing Champagne. Who on earth would buy Champagne in a Wetherspoons  :rollin
« Last Edit: 01 December 2018, 06:04:10 pm by mtread »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: 01 December 2018, 06:07:56 pm »
Having said that, we in the UK make some of the best beer in the world. But so do the Belgians and the Germans. I'd just like to have a choice.

As for 'Digging for Victory' I hope you like swedes and turnips  :D
« Last Edit: 01 December 2018, 06:13:24 pm by mtread »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: 01 December 2018, 06:18:18 pm »
Wetherspoon has four pubs in suburban Dublin and one in Cork.
:lol :lol

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: 01 December 2018, 06:18:57 pm »
It also has two undeveloped sites in Carlow and Waterford and plans to purchase more sites around Ireland.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: 01 December 2018, 06:51:53 pm »

But your missing the point....
No I'm not. I'm correcting what you said. He's not replacing ALL European beers and wines, just a few.
As for being an 'expert', I think I was brewing beer and making wine while you were still in short trousers :b

And as for replacing Champagne. Who on earth would buy Champagne in a Wetherspoons  :rollin
So you are an expert then  :rolleyes

Well, that's it for tonight....it's been fun but I'm off to get showered and
down Wetherspoons for some British Champagne and inferior quality beers ......Oh hang on a minute, didn't you do a UTurn on that one :lol

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: 01 December 2018, 07:15:26 pm »
I'm off to get showered and down Wetherspoons for some British Champagne
I think I can say with some certainty that you never be able to find, never mind taste, British Champagne! :lol

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: 01 December 2018, 07:24:13 pm »
Ok then, how about sparkling wine :lol

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: 01 December 2018, 07:31:04 pm »

Sorry I thought you were a bloke.  Enjoy. :D   Personally I drink beer and whisky in the pub. ;)     

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: 01 December 2018, 07:37:06 pm »
Getting a bit petty now I think. And if I have to dig for victory, then Ill do it. Some of our small breweries are turning out fabulous beers, so the EU can keep its bland tasteless lagers. If we are no longer able to get bratwurst, Gorgonzola, or Belgian chocolate, so what. In the grand scheme of things, they don't matter. If house prices tumble, great news for all those poor buggers that couldn't previously afford to buy a home. If the pound falls, it'll recover, it always has. Life will go on, and rather than the pigs ear parliament over the water churning out compromises which leave half of em unhappy all the time, dictating what national governments can and cant spend their own money on, we''l be back in control of our own destiny and stand or fall by it. If the Scots want to go their own way, let them go, be interesting to see Sturgeon with the begging bowl in Brussels, in the queue behind Romania/Bulgaria etc, with absolutely no say in matters

Oh, and by the way " TREASON" - the crime of showing no loyalty to your country, especially by helping its enemies or trying to defeat its government. :)

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: 01 December 2018, 07:40:35 pm »

Sorry I thought you were a bloke.  Enjoy. :D   Personally I drink beer and whisky in the pub. ;)     

Don't fucking lie.....You're Scottish.....You'd drink anything if someone else was buying. :rollin

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: 01 December 2018, 07:44:02 pm »
Getting a bit petty now I think. And if I have to dig for victory, then Ill do it. Some of our small breweries are turning out fabulous beers, so the EU can keep its bland tasteless lagers. If we are no longer able to get bratwurst, Gorgonzola, or Belgian chocolate, so what. In the grand scheme of things, they don't matter. If house prices tumble, great news for all those poor buggers that couldn't previously afford to buy a home. If the pound falls, it'll recover, it always has. Life will go on, and rather than the pigs ear parliament over the water churning out compromises which leave half of em unhappy all the time, dictating what national governments can and cant spend their own money on, we''l be back in control of our own destiny and stand or fall by it. If the Scots want to go their own way, let them go, be interesting to see Sturgeon with the begging bowl in Brussels, in the queue behind Romania/Bulgaria etc, with absolutely no say in matters

Oh, and by the way " TREASON" - the crime of showing no loyalty to your country, especially by helping its enemies or trying to defeat its government. :)

^^^^
Yep...This

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: 01 December 2018, 07:45:09 pm »
Anyway VNA
On one hand you talk about sheep and exporting/ importing being bad for the environment but on the other you seem to take umbridge with Witherspoon doing the right thing by the environment by only using UK beer/ sparkling wine. You want your wine/beer and drink it.What about all that yellow whisky stuff scotland sends to Japan, surely there is no need for all those air miles when saki tastes just as bad, so the Japanese may as well just stick to drinking that.  :D

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: 01 December 2018, 07:57:28 pm »
If the Scots want to go their own way, let them go
:agree Totally--- forget a scot referendum it should be an English referendum if we want to kick the scots out.For one, it would make the weather forecast much better as we would not have to sit through pointless forecasts that have to cover right up to Lerwick.

AND I want back the hour of daylight that scotland steals from us every October. ---Just so the farmers can see their sheep in the mornings so they they can catch them and send to New Zealand.     

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: 01 December 2018, 10:12:41 pm »

On one hand you talk about sheep and exporting/ importing being bad for the environment but on the other you seem to take umbridge with Witherspoon doing the right thing by the environment by only using UK beer/ sparkling wine.

If I remember correctly Tim Martin plans to replace European wines with Australian, Chilean etc.  I’m a big fan local and UK beers.  And I thank England for leading the way in the promotion of real ale.  Thank-you England for bringing back real beer :)

What about all that yellow whisky stuff scotland sends to Japan, surely there is no need for all those air miles when saki tastes just as bad, so the Japanese may as well just stick to drinking that.

I’m not against global trade, it’s just there’s a need to think carefully now about what we import/export.  I mean do we really need apples from Argentina?  Does it really make sense to air freight fresh veg?
I think there will always be an international trade in certain drinks.  Scottish Whisky is second to none.  Though the Japanese are keeping us on our toes, they make some fine whisky themselves.
AND I want back the hour of daylight that scotland steals from us every October. ---Just so the farmers can see their sheep in the mornings so they they can catch them and send to New Zealand.     
Nothing to do with us.  Nothing to do with farming either.  Was supposed to be about the school kids walking to school in daylight.  The sooner they keep us on summer time all year round the better.  At the moment round my way the sun rises at 08.25 and sets at 15.49 – the day is 7hrs 23 minutes long and we’ve still 30 minutes to loose.  Foccing murder.