Date: 29-03-24  Time: 01:31 am

Author Topic: BREXIT  (Read 210200 times)

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Just for VNA a brexit thread
« Reply #550 on: 27 November 2018, 07:47:38 am »

I don't remember there being any talk about deals when the referendum took place, just Remain or Leave. I assumed we'd just hand in our membership card so to speak and come right out :rolleyes .

I agree, it does appear to be only going in one direction. That's the bit that worries me.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: 27 November 2018, 09:34:56 am »
Brexiteers moaning (Bremoaning?)
That's rubbish it doesn't work. Bregret was a good one and worked when the remainers were trying to create a narrative that a lot of brexiteers now regret voting leave, funny that one did not catch on and they have given up on that tact. 

At least all of the 48% Remainers agreed fully on what they were voting for and what they were going to get as a result.

I don't think that is correct as there was a lot who did not like the EU as it was but thought that they could change the EU to their liking from within. The leavers voted leave because they knew dam well that aint going to happen. Camoron proved that when he went to the EU with his begging bowl --- they just spat in it and threw him in the Channel.These are the kind of people in charge of the EU project.I would be quite happy to go back to how it all started - as a group of trading nations, without an EU army, EU laws,integrated tax and VAT. Thank the British people that Blair/Brown dare not put forward a referendum on joining the euro cause they knew how that would end.     
« Last Edit: 27 November 2018, 09:35:55 am by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: 27 November 2018, 10:01:11 am »
If you have free seamless trade in a single market, then you have to have harmonised taxation including VAT. And O yes, I do know what I'm talking about  :D

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: 27 November 2018, 10:31:32 am »
Brexiteers moaning (Bremoaning?)

That's rubbish it doesn't work.
OK 'Brexshiteers' then. That one stuck, if you excuse the pun  :D

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: 27 November 2018, 10:50:54 am »
If you have free seamless trade in a single market, then you have to have harmonised taxation including VAT. And O yes, I do know what I'm talking about  :D
I never realised that the UK had to introduce VAT in order to join and I also did not realise that 18% all that VAT we raise goes to the EU.
Well that's even better then - leave the EU fully and every item with VAT will be 20% cheaper.
So if VAT is harmonised how come its at different rates and on different products across the EU

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: 27 November 2018, 11:23:33 am »

Mrs May has challenged Corbyn to a live TV Brexit debate prior to the Commons vote.

Probably be on the BBC with a studio audience full of Remainers that keep constantly booing/whooping so May can hardly get a word in and chaired by Victoria Derbyshire I expect :rolleyes

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: 27 November 2018, 11:53:58 am »
I never realised that the UK had to introduce VAT in order to join and I also did not realise that 18% all that VAT we raise goes to the EU.Well that's even better then - leave the EU fully and every item with VAT will be 20% cheaper.So if VAT is harmonised how come its at different rates and on different products across the EU

The proportion of VAT we pay over to the EU is a major part of the 'membership fee' The so called £350 million a week '. All EU states pay the same proportional contribution. Its the way of making sure' bigger 'countries pay more than the smaller ones.
As to every item being 20% cheaper, I don't think your arithmetic quite works. Perhaps you could show your workings?  ;)
All VAT in the EU is harmonised within boundaries, plus or minus certain percentages. Also what you can charge VAT on, and what you don't. EU 6th VAT directive.
It's to ensure that when you buy (say) Yamaha parts from Germany, you pay German VAT rather than have to reclaim it and pay UK VAT as an import.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: 27 November 2018, 12:27:53 pm »
I never realised that the UK had to introduce VAT in order to join and I also did not realise that 18% all that VAT we raise goes to the EU.Well that's even better then - leave the EU fully and every item with VAT will be 20% cheaper.So if VAT is harmonised how come its at different rates and on different products across the EU

The proportion of VAT we pay over to the EU is a major part of the 'membership fee' The so called £350 million a week '. All EU states pay the same proportional contribution. Its the way of making sure' bigger 'countries pay more than the smaller ones.
As to every item being 20% cheaper, I don't think your arithmetic quite works. Perhaps you could show your workings?  ;)
All VAT in the EU is harmonised within boundaries, plus or minus certain percentages. Also what you can charge VAT on, and what you don't. EU 6th VAT directive.
It's to ensure that when you buy (say) Yamaha parts from Germany, you pay German VAT rather than have to reclaim it and pay UK VAT as an import.

And that sounds like a load of EU fudge doesnt. Fact is, VAT membership contributions should disappear upon leaving, so the boundary harmonised plus or minus charge it on what you like reclaim or not percentage should disappera from our tax burden :)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: 27 November 2018, 06:30:27 pm »

What we're getting now (and not just on here) is a lot of Brexiteers moaning (Bremoaning?) because they are not going to get the particular version of Brexit they wanted - to just walk away immediately, pay nothing, expect the world to come beating at our door. They assume that everybody who voted Leave wanted exactly the same as them, when clearly that wasn't the case. Many wanted an EFTA /EEA type deal 'just like Norway and Switzerland who are doing so well'. But now No Deal Brexiteers try to hijack the 52% majority vote.

Well the good news is it's not going to happen. As VNA says we don't know what's next, but that's not it.

Then of course there's the current criminal investigation of Arron Banks and the indication of illegal foreign funding. They're not going to let him off the hook.

At least all of the 48% Remainers agreed fully on what they were voting for and what they were going to get as a result.

So I'm feeling more confident by the day. This is going only in one direction.

Bollocks To Brexit  :)

That’s an excellent post mtread.   :)

There is another aspect that I feel the country needs to consider moving forwards.  The official LEAVE campaign portrayed BREXIT as turning the UK into a land of milk and honey.  They made out that that EU took 350 million pounds a week from the UK and that we received nothing in return.  They further stated that we could simply leave and we would then have 350 million pounds a week more to spend on the NHS.  The whole campaign was based on lies.  The people fronting this campaign openly lied.   One definition of a lie is - a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.

If currently under our legal system there is no possibility of prosecuting those who led that campaign (eg Johnston and Gove), then the question surely needs to be asked if we should review our laws in light of the BREXIT referendum and the LEAVE campaign.

As for this only going in one direction – yes I hope so for the sake of the whole UK and the future prosperity of this Union.  However I remain somewhat concerned that the main opposition, that indeed facilitated BREXIT by voting through article 50, still seems unable to decide what their next move should be.  BREXIT should already be dead and buried, but right now, though on life support, it is still breathing.  BREXIT is still a threat to the future of the United Kingdom.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: 27 November 2018, 06:38:07 pm »

I never realised that the UK had to introduce VAT in order to join
Fazersharp, VAT replaced the UK’s purchase tax.  And it was definitely a step in the right direction. 

Mrs May has challenged Corbyn to a live TV Brexit debate prior to the Commons vote.
YamFazFan, Yes apparently “Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn have agreed to take part in a live TV debate on Brexit before MPs vote on the deal.”   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46355299

I presume that Northern Ireland, Wales, and Scotland will also be represented.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: 27 November 2018, 07:15:03 pm »
As to every item being 20% cheaper, I don't think your arithmetic quite works. Perhaps you could show your workings? 

Fazersharp still waiting to see your calculations, or is this just another Leave Lie?  :pokefun

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: 27 November 2018, 07:48:58 pm »
Haha,, soon we will, gave BREXIT, March,,,bring it on then we can get our act together
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: 27 November 2018, 07:54:12 pm »
As to every item being 20% cheaper, I don't think your arithmetic quite works. Perhaps you could show your workings? 

Fazersharp still waiting to see your calculations, or is this just another Leave Lie?  :pokefun

Ok everything being 18% cheaper

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: 27 November 2018, 08:21:36 pm »
No you are still misleading everybody. It isn't 18% of the price. It is (on average) 18% of the VAT collected. So that's 18% of the (maximum) 20% of the price. Which makes things at best 3.6% cheaper. Of course we then get EU subsidies.

Is that too complicated, or just another pro Brexit lie?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: 27 November 2018, 08:54:57 pm »
No you are still misleading everybody. It isn't 18% of the price. It is (on average) 18% of the VAT collected. So that's 18% of the (maximum) 20% of the price. Which makes things at best 3.6% cheaper. Of course we then get EU subsidies.

Is that too complicated, or just another pro Brexit lie?
3.6% it is then.
 You mean the EU subsidies that they kindly give us from our own money that we have already paid to them, of which they decide where it has to be spent.
And that is what the bus was saying, at the moment we send the money £250million after rebates to the EU every week £350 million Gross lets fund the NHS instead all the bus was saying is getting back control so we can spend it on what we want I seriously do not believe most brexiters took the bus slogan literally.
The remainers love to think so as they can weaponise it in their arguments. They like to think the brexiteers are so stupid that they believed every word on the bus. The whole lies were said thing has been done to death its boring- both sides were guilty of it - er surprise ! -- they were politicians. I think the British public saw through all of it.       

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: 27 November 2018, 10:23:31 pm »
Well that's another piece of Brexit misinformation corrected then :lol
Actually I'd like to see the source of your original figure, as it doesn't match what I've seen.
If we look at some real facts https://select-statistics.co.uk/blog/much-eu-cost-uk/ it shows that the UK pays into the EU less per person than most of the major EU economies. Less than Netherlands, Belgium etc, and even less than Spain and Ireland.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: 27 November 2018, 10:39:56 pm »

The remainers love to think so as they can weaponise it in their arguments. They like to think the brexiteers are so stupid that they believed every word on the bus. The whole lies were said thing has been done to death its boring- both sides were guilty of it - er surprise ! -- they were politicians. I think the British public saw through all of it.   
This is just meaningless waffle.  Waffle because either you are avoiding, or are in fact, unable to address the substance. 

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: 28 November 2018, 09:34:45 am »
The remainers love to think so as they can weaponise it in their arguments.
An interesting turn of phrase. I'll translate it as 'using real facts to prove a point'  :lol

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: 28 November 2018, 09:49:04 am »

Just been listening to the Nicky Campbell phone-in show on Radio 5 Live.

It's crystal clear that the majority of Remainers have absolutely no interest or respect for democracy, just an obsession with permanently overturning the referendum result by any means possible.

They should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

It will be a very brave (stupid) government that reverses the democratic decision of over 17 million people.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: 28 November 2018, 11:05:06 am »
It will be a very brave (stupid) government that reverses the democratic decision of over 17 million people.
Except presumably, with another referendum?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: 28 November 2018, 11:19:52 am »
Except presumably, with another referendum?
I say bring it on - lets do it all again but there must be a no deal - revert to WTO rules as an option.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: 28 November 2018, 11:29:31 am »
I'd be happy with that.

If May's deal is rejected, which it probably will be, then a referendum should be Remain as is /Leave No Deal WTO.

With the public now informed, the result should be binding.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: 28 November 2018, 12:16:27 pm »
Let it be as binding as the remainers want the last one to be. Or better still let just book the third Tuesday every June for an IN/OUT of the EU referendum till we get a 100% majority either way.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: 28 November 2018, 12:20:28 pm »

No second referendum. We voted LEAVE.

If there's a vote it should be a choice between May's Deal or No Deal.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: 28 November 2018, 12:50:52 pm »

I say bring it on - lets do it all again

We don't have to keep on proving that we can win.

Remain are hoping that through voter fatigue etc...they can scrape even a 1% majority and declare the matter settled forever.

They won't be calling for a best of three in that case you can rest assured of that. Same as if they'd won the first one, they wouldn't in a million years have agreed to a second.