Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:31 pm

Author Topic: BREXIT  (Read 209991 times)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Re: Just for VNA a brexit thread
« Reply #225 on: 14 November 2018, 08:39:07 pm »
To be fair to May (and I find that very difficult) she was up shit street whatever option /proposal /result she came up with.
Agree. 

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: 14 November 2018, 10:05:28 pm »
truth is fellers, we all got focced. Good job we got our bikes huh ;)

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: 15 November 2018, 10:08:38 am »

I've just fainted.....  :eek

Just to clarify. I've not experienced a Road To Damascus Epiphany or such like.

It's a pragmatic descion. Like I said before, it's a very reluctant one with no great enthusiasm that's based on how things stand at the moment.

They're saying this deal is, and will be, the only one offered. In that case we're better off staying in. At least then we get to keep the good bits such as the EHIC cards etc...

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: 15 November 2018, 10:16:02 am »
The whole thing is about pragmatism. Nothing is perfect, and the EU certainly isn't. But to keep the good bits you need to accept the bad bits. Then change it from within.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: 15 November 2018, 12:04:46 pm »
If the SNP is smart, they will be manoeuvring behind the scenes to back Brexit (they cannot be seen to be doing this). That way, they'll be able to call for another independence referendum, which will go massively in their favour. An independent Scotland will be able to waltz back into the arms of the EU.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: 15 November 2018, 12:48:11 pm »

The whole thing is about pragmatism.

You'd expect it to be so I suppose. The EU is more akin to a cult or a religion to those protesters that were trying to drown out Huw Edwards on The Six O'clock News last night though. I wanted to hear what he'd got to say about the developments that were just breaking as he spoke, but you could barely catch a word he was saying :rolleyes .

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: 15 November 2018, 01:11:38 pm »
Just been listening to prime ministers question time seems to me that no matter whether they are labour or conservative members house, it seems most think this is a bad deal and we are being sold down the river. For those of you in London can some one confirm the Union Jack is still flying over Parliament not a white flag.   

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: 15 November 2018, 03:08:22 pm »
Actually we're off to London this evening. Been told to avoid Parliament Square as Jacob Rees-Mogg has just exploded  :)

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: 15 November 2018, 03:31:34 pm »
They all seem on a short fuse which ever side of the fence or party they sit, talk about lions led by donkeys god help us as that shower in parliament don't seem to have a clue.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: 15 November 2018, 04:39:40 pm »
That the democratic decision be not only respected, but that everybody pulled together to make it work.

But that is precisely where the problem lies.

Firstly it is a referendum that should have never happened.  It happened because the Tories offered it as a means to unite their party and kill UKIP – and it worked.  They won the general election.
In terms of making it work,

Putting aside the disastrous campaign (LEAVE – absolute lies REMAIN – absolute fear) – nobody actually knew what BREXIT was – or rather what shape it would take.  That came after the vote – when asked May told us it would be – a red white and blue BREXIT (ie she didn’t have a clue).

She then focced up by going to the electorate – she did so in order to avoid the very situation that she is in now.  But that didn’t work – and as a result she is in the hands of the DUP and parliament as a whole.  And anyway the Tories might be in government – by the skin of their teeth – but they are split and out of control.

But ultimately what you are asking the majority of MP’s in parliament to do OGRI is to vote to implement something that they wholeheartedly and absolutely believe is not in the best interests of their constituents or the country as a whole. 

And then there is Ireland.

David Cameron offered you this referendum cos he knew the country would reject BREXIT.  He was so confident he never even bothered to consider the consequences, should he turn out to be wrong.  Doh!  Doh doh doh doh!

I believe these may well be the first few days of a country in a full-blown crisis.  I hope not, but it’s looking like it.

Had everyone respected the decision, then things may have turned out differently. As it is, the splits into several factions destroyed any semblance of national unity and its this that has signalled to the EU that we are weak nation, ready to be shafted, our political leaders having no authority, the blairites that have been hiding at the bottom of the pond are ready to resurface and move Corbyn out, Rees Bogg ready to step up when the PM goes. Worst constitutional crisis in living memory. And all because you lost in a perfectly fair ballot, but couldnt accept the result.

Shame on you

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: 15 November 2018, 05:49:44 pm »

If the SNP is smart, they will be manoeuvring behind the scenes to back Brexit (they cannot be seen to be doing this).

Well no.  They don’t back BREXIT politically, and in fact 63% of Scots voted to REMAIN.  The single market is essential to Scotland’s economy, and particularly so as Scotland has significant and growing tourism industry which for many years now has relied on seasonal European labour.

Scotland can’t support the customs union deal as we need free movement. 

That way, they'll be able to call for another independence referendum, which will go massively in their favour.
I wouldn’t be so sure.  It might, it might not.  Certainly, many Scots are well peeved at this BREXIT mess that has been forced upon us by England.  But then there are many within the SNP who want BREXIT, and then there is the tribal aspect of Scottish politics – the Union Jack Waving God Save the Queen Unionists – who will never ever support independence.

I mean how many Tory governments that we didn’t vote for have we endured? 

The SNP would never be forgiven by anybody for gambling our whole economy in the hope of a good indy 2 result.
An independent Scotland will be able to waltz back into the arms of the EU.
The most important thing for Scotland is the here and now, we can’t afford to leave the Single Market. 

But what’s happening right now is though Scotland and Northern Ireland voted to REMAIN in the EU and Scotland desperately wants to at least remain in the single market, the DUP does not.  Northern Ireland will under this deal remain in the customs union but will also remain in much of the single market for goods.  So the DUP gets what it doesn’t want and the SNP doesn’t get what it wants.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: 15 November 2018, 05:51:37 pm »
All the European nations must think we are all absolutely mad. :lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: 15 November 2018, 06:00:11 pm »

They will if we accept May's deal.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: 15 November 2018, 06:21:19 pm »
They will if we accept May's deal.
May is something of a survivor.  But how much longer?
Her government is in ruins, the deal is dead in the water and pariamentary defeat looms.
She sure puts a brave face on it.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: 15 November 2018, 06:25:38 pm »

May is something of a survivor.  But how much longer?
Her government is in ruins, the deal is dead in the water and pariamentary defeat looms.
She sure puts a brave face on it.

What choice does she have? Can you see her coming up with a deal that everyone will be happy with? She must be feeling quite resigned to her fate.
I have come to the conclusion that the UK cannot do an acceptable deal with the EU. The only reason the EU stays in the negotiations must be that they are hoping to gain complete jurisdiction over all the UK's affairs. To me, that will always be unacceptable.

NO DEAL!
« Last Edit: 15 November 2018, 06:29:31 pm by Hedgetrimmer »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: 15 November 2018, 06:47:58 pm »
Never truer words spoken  :lol :lol

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: 15 November 2018, 06:52:59 pm »
I have come to the conclusion that the UK cannot do an acceptable deal with the EU. The only reason the EU stays in the negotiations must be that they are hoping to gain complete jurisdiction over all the UK's affairs. To me, that will always be unacceptable.

Don’t be silly.  You still haven’t named what these EU laws are that have supposedly been imposed on us.

Did you know the single market accounts for 25% of global GDP.  And it’s right on our doorstep.  45% of our exports are to the EU.  50% of our imports are from the EU. 

So we are now going to pay the EU 35 billion pounds to make it more difficult for us to do the huge amount of business that we do with them.

I am however increasingly confident, though not 100% sure, that should there be a complete democratic meltdown over BREXIT, that parliament will pull together at the last minute to stop a No Deal BREXIT, but that ultimately will depend on a negotiation with the EU to suspend article 50.

But at the end of the day, don’t blame the EU.  Blame the Tories.  Blame David Cameron.  BREXIT was never a good idea, and as it turns out doesn’t appear to be possible.

Quote from: VNA on Today at 05:51:37 PM<blockquote>All the European nations must think we are all absolutely mad. :lol
</blockquote>Never truer words spoken  :lol :lol

Is this the UK's biggest ever politcal farce?

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: 15 November 2018, 07:07:02 pm »

Quote from: VNA on Today at 05:51:37 PM<blockquote>All the European nations must think we are all absolutely mad. :lol
</blockquote>Never truer words spoken  :lol :lol

Sorry fellas, but the views of one chap who wants out of the UK and another who isn't in it in the first place don't carry much weight for me on this one  ;)

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: 15 November 2018, 07:32:15 pm »
I've kept out of this so far. 
Just to prove a point. 

And I was gonna continue to keep out of it, and anyway the title of the thread pisses me off.

But;

So.......What happened to make you sell your principles up the river....Did you become a politician ?  :D

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: 15 November 2018, 07:39:10 pm »
So.......What happened to make you sell your principles up the river....Did you become a politician ?  :D

May I quote Tommy again.
A thread Just for VNA..... fuck off   :lol

Youse lot just love it. ;)

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: 15 November 2018, 08:10:57 pm »

May I quote Tommy again.
A thread Just for VNA..... fuck off   :lol

Youse lot just love it. ;)

It got 'removed ' from the "What Get's My Goat" thread by popular demand....and turns out to be the most popular thread :lol

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: 15 November 2018, 08:23:31 pm »
....wish I hadn't had so many sherbets Tuesday evening. Had a moment of alcohol induced benevolence in this thread. Missing joining in the Euro bickering so much :'(
Foc :wall Foc :wall Foc :wall :lol
« Last Edit: 15 November 2018, 08:24:29 pm by YamFazFan »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: 15 November 2018, 10:27:22 pm »
I like this tweet.  Excellant interview that kinda sums things up;
https://twitter.com/theSNP/status/1063111958579306496

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #248 on: 15 November 2018, 10:57:12 pm »
Had everyone respected the decision, then things may have turned out differently.

"If the result of this is 48-52, this isn't over" - Nigel Farage.

Hmm...

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: 16 November 2018, 12:07:42 am »
This just about sums it up