Date: 28-03-24  Time: 10:21 am

Author Topic: BREXIT  (Read 209507 times)

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Just for VNA a brexit thread
« Reply #1525 on: 14 January 2019, 10:10:51 pm »

People were not screaming out for a referendum on the EU. 

I was.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: 14 January 2019, 10:19:10 pm »

I was.

ditto. I think the one thing that has come out of this thread is that nobody has changed their minds. leavers still want out. remainers still want in. it doesn't matter about facts or figures on either side. I'll never change my mind, and nor will remainers. I think the remain camp will win, and I will see the death of democracy in the uk in my lifetime. That will be a very sad day.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: 14 January 2019, 10:54:59 pm »

I was.

Would be interested to know what you did to try get a referendum.

While there were many people campaigning for a referendum, it wasn’t exactly a mass movement.   For those who cared in the general population few got past having a moan about it over a pint in the pub.

Indeed polls showed that most people had far more pressing concerns than leaving the EU. 
2011 Channel 4 news fact check - https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-do-people-care-for-an-eu-referendum
The verdict

When pushed, 67 per cent of those polled by YouGov last month said they would rather have a referendum on Britain’s EU membership than not.

But they had to be pushed – because actually, they don’t really care. Take a closer look at the latest polls, and what you see is that a massive 97 per cent don’t consider the EU a big issue right now.
So, yup it always was, and always will be about the Tory party.

it doesn't matter about facts or figures on either side.
For me that’s what always counts.  I am certainly not in Michael Gove’s camp “I think that the people of this country have had enough of experts

When the vast majority of economists are in agreement, and they are all stating clearly that leaving the EU will have a major negative impact on our economy, well I tend to pay attention.

Not to mention that 60 odd pages in, the foc u BREXITEERS, still really don’t have a clue why they want to leave – they just want to leave. :eek

« Last Edit: 14 January 2019, 10:56:03 pm by VNA »

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: 15 January 2019, 12:01:48 am »
Woman seriously considers ringing in sick tomorrow  :)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: 15 January 2019, 12:22:55 am »
I think the remain camp will win,
For what it's worth Ogri, I think we've all already lost.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: 15 January 2019, 08:04:56 am »

I was.

Would be interested to know what you did to try get a referendum.

I bet you would  ;) . I'm not telling you. You're just after tips on how to force a second one ;)

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: 15 January 2019, 08:17:00 am »
I don't like to agree with VNA but I agree on his last post. The whole British people have lost democracy, parliament was given an instruction by the people, whether it was the right instruction is open to debate what ever happens whether we stay in or leave we will only ever be able to speculate what might have been if we had gone the other way. Parliament has chosen to ignore the will of the people they are supposed to represent and engineer a way to get what they want in stead of preparing the country to carry out the will of the people. Our last civil war was between the people and a dictator king, lets hope the next one is not between Parliament and the people.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: 15 January 2019, 08:46:54 am »
I don't like to agree with VNA but I agree on his last post. The whole British people have lost democracy, parliament was given an instruction by the people, whether it was the right instruction is open to debate what ever happens whether we stay in or leave we will only ever be able to speculate what might have been if we had gone the other way. Parliament has chosen to ignore the will of the people they are supposed to represent and engineer a way to get what they want in stead of preparing the country to carry out the will of the people. Our last civil war was between the people and a dictator king, lets hope the next one is not between Parliament and the people.
I totally disagree with you Steve. :lol

We have an economy that should be fully recovered from the financial crises of ten years ago, an economy that should right now be in rude health, but the signs are that the UK is heading for recession, and that is no matter what happens today or at the end of the day with BREXIT.  BREXIT has strangled our economy, it’s also sucked all the political energy out of this country.  There are major issues that need to be addressed, first and foremost our economy which is stalling, austerity, pay and conditions, our NHS, our tax regime etc etc.  None of these issues is getting the attention they deserve because of BREXIT.  That is what I mean when I say we are all losers in this.

Aside from this being a situation that should never have been allowed to occur, and that frankly few were particularly interested in a few years ago, well as the referendum did take place and considering the results – well whose mess is this?

This as I stated clearly in my post #1520 is Theresa May’s mess.  She’s behaved as if she alone should decide, literally tried to dictate and as a result has lost the house.

So, thank goodness that democracy appears to be alive and well at Westminster.  Or, at least we will find out today.  Parliament needs to vote this wretched deal down and take back control.

johnakay

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - tracer 700
    • View Profile
If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
working with the mentally retarded I would
have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership!

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: 15 January 2019, 09:52:55 am »

Waiting for the 700,000 Leave supporters to protest in Trafalgar Square....

If Leave get cheated out of Brexit I comfortably predict you could quadruple that figure ;)

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: 15 January 2019, 10:12:30 am »
Hang on a minute.
May is trying to deliver what the people voted for.
Corbyn has said he'll deliver what the people voted for.
What's the problem?

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: 15 January 2019, 11:18:22 am »
We'll find out around 9pm this evening....

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: 15 January 2019, 01:09:48 pm »
Possibly....

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: 15 January 2019, 01:14:29 pm »
Hang on a minute.
May is trying to deliver what the people voted for.
Corbyn has said he'll deliver what the people voted for.
What's the problem?

Well with both the government and the opposition trying to deliver the same thing.  Well what could possibly go wrong?

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: 15 January 2019, 01:31:03 pm »
Boris Johnson's version of what people voted for :lol

Noticed in the news just now that Hillary Benn's motion against 'No Deal' has been withdrawn so that the government can't postpone the vote again. Blimey this is getting complicated  :lurk

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: 15 January 2019, 03:09:47 pm »
People were not screaming out for a referendum on the EU.  You are right to suggest it was given to us, as indeed it was.
However, one would expect to ask for a referendum, as opposed to be given something that was never requested.

People did ask for it in the 2015 general election by giving 4 million votes (12.6 per cent of those cast)to UKIP  Its so boring to keep repeating the "it was all about the Tories" line. It wasn't, people have been - as you say yourself "moaning over their beer" for years and 7 out of 10 labour held areas also voted to leave the eu
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: 15 January 2019, 03:31:57 pm »

The more of this of Brexit or no Brexit  waffle and bull sh*t ilisten to from our MPs of all parties the more I think there was never any intention by most of them to allow us to leave the EU it's been one almighty stitch from even before the referendum I can't think of one MP I would/could trust now from any party. I am totally disgusted that 2 years down the line we are still up to the neck in crap and all the MPs can do is play party politics and score points off each other they should all be totally ashamed of the way they have behaved.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: 15 January 2019, 04:01:06 pm »
people did ask for it in the 2015 general election by giving 4 million votes (12.6 per cent of those cast)to UKIP
But that's missing the point. 87.4% obviously thought there were more important things to worry about. The fact is that the (Tory) government tabled the motion for a referendum. They did this to resolve the split in their own party once and for all. As we can see today, it has widened the split instead.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: 15 January 2019, 04:31:53 pm »
Just watching the news live from the green outside Parliament. The democracy haters (Remain) are constantly striking a bell and banging a drum :z . What on earth difference does that achieve apart from irritataing the hell out of every normal (Leave) person?

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: 15 January 2019, 04:35:23 pm »
The democracy haters (Remain)
...just to clarify, if they'd won the referendum then it'd be perfectly democratic :lol

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: 15 January 2019, 04:44:15 pm »
Just watching the news live from the green outside Parliament. The democracy haters (Remain) are constantly striking a bell and banging a drum :z . What on earth difference does that achieve apart from irritataing the hell out of every normal (Leave) person?
Oops apparently it's Leave creating the racket :o . Still wants stopping. Incredibly irritating. They say the din has been going on all day long.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: 15 January 2019, 05:24:41 pm »
I was wondering who it was and for why ?I get the flags, I get the chanting but the bell is just irritating, I am actually surprised their fellow leavers don't yank it out of their hands and crack them over the head with it.   

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: 15 January 2019, 06:06:40 pm »
It reminds me of that England Supporters Band that used to play The Great Escape theme tune over & over & over & over & over again at the international football matches :'(
My worst nightmare would be getting stuck next to that racket for 90 minutes.
It gets my goat when anyone over-dominates situations like this.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: 15 January 2019, 06:23:40 pm »
all the MPs can do is play party politics
That's one thing they most certainly are not doing :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: 15 January 2019, 07:16:15 pm »
looking at the people at college green how come there has not been any fisty-cufts between the ins and outs. A bit different to when the far right and the far left share the same square mile