Date: 18-04-24  Time: 20:39 pm

Author Topic: gerbing heated gloves  (Read 1083 times)

butthead

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - honda cbf1000
    • View Profile
gerbing heated gloves
« on: 31 October 2018, 07:32:54 pm »
anyone used these? , im thinking about getting some this winter, the short cuff version and running from the bike battery as apposed to internal glove battery.
anyone got any experience of them ? how they perform and do you find them bulky and difficult to still feel controls and switch gear with.

does anyone else use any other brand of heated gloves? how do you rate them and would you recommend them ?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: gerbing heated gloves
« Reply #1 on: 31 October 2018, 09:13:03 pm »
Bought the Gerbing short cuff last year. Found them to be excellent. The beauty is that your hands are warm all over not just the palms as with heated grips. You just don't think about your hands at all,as in not hot, not cold. Did the best part of 620 miles in one hit last February, mostly in pouring rain. Hands dry and not cold. Have never used hottest setting. Keep an eye on Twist Moto website as they often have discount codes in the winter. They might be expensive, but they do work. Will be wiring my jacket up this weekend. :thumbup
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 October 2018, 09:36:46 pm »
When we used to tour,my wife had the Gerbing jacket and gloves,she said she wouldn't tour without them.We went all over Europe and Ireland for the best part of 10 years and we sold them after all that time on E/bay!they might be expensive but they're brilliant. :thumbup
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Billy Balthorpe

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 2 X 1987 fzr1000's, VN800
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 October 2018, 11:16:16 pm »

I bought some earlier this year, i think they are G12's. Wired up to the bike, fantastic.

As Robbo said, on the normal hot setting, when its cold, your hands dont feel hot or cold, you just dont think about them. I didnt think they were working until one of my mates asked if he could try one on when we got to the pub, he said they were lovely and warm There is a way to make them even hotter, holding the contol button on for 5 seconds or something, i tried it once, but even when its really cold you dont really need it that high.

I paid £114 for them and wish id bought some years ago.

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 November 2018, 01:55:24 pm »
Had some for years and they're good winter gloves even without using the heating element. Probably the best investment you'll ever make for winter riding!

As well as being a good glove, the after-sales service from Gerbing has been excellent, so highly recommended all round.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 November 2018, 04:39:42 pm »
Just a thought. If you're going to the bike show at Birmingham, Gerbing will be there. They don't usually discount, but you can have a play with them to decide your size, then see what deal you can get online.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #6 on: 01 November 2018, 09:08:18 pm »
anyone used these?

Had them for years and they're great!

Unlike heated grips, they heat down the back of the hand, so your fingertips stay warm and cozy.  I bought the variable power controller for mine, but you can get the off/low/mid/high setting ones cheaper. :thumbup

Also, even if you don't use the heating, they're still a good winter glove.

butthead

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - honda cbf1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 November 2018, 09:54:11 pm »
hey thanks guys , really good reviews, what about the power draw on the bike, will the fzs600 charging system handle these gloves ?

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #8 on: 01 November 2018, 10:19:03 pm »
Been using the XR12's for about 5 years now, each winter Oct-March ish, daily on my commute, all weathers (except thick snow). I have them wired straight to bike battery.  Always great, always more than plenty toasty, even on long journeys in sub zero temps. The first couple of pairs I had developed electrical faults, either a glove cutting out or bad connections in wiring, not usually lasting more than a winter. But Gerbing's lifetime warranty on all the electrical side has always been held up really well, no fuss, new pair of gloves turnaround in a couple of days - great when freezing your fingers off each day in the winter. Thankfully, they have improved their designs a lot over the years, my current pair are currently seeing me through their third winter and are holding up well. Much better than earlier ones, and seems like they've sorted out the robustness issues.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend them. Even when my new bike came with heated grips, I've still wired in my Gerbings to keep my fingers and back of hands toasty. As for wiring them up, I just cable tie the controller to outside of my jacket, then thread wires inside and down sleeves. Only takes a mo to plug gloves in when donning them, then I just plug controller into wire I have sticking out from under seat hooked up to battery.

Great gloves in general, no signs of much wear and tear, decent knuckle armour and decent abrasive protection on palms too. Always held up fine in torrential rain, they have a handy visor wipe on left glove, and the XR12's have longer cuffs that go over your jacket with draw cord seals, which have always stopped water running down arms fine. Not sure how other gloves they do stack up in comparison, but I'd definitely recommend the XR12's for a serious winter glove.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 November 2018, 08:38:50 am »
I go through this every year and by the time I have finished scratching my chin the weather has warmed up. I already have invested in a pair of fairly decent winter gloves but at 4 degrees only last me about 1/2 hour before I get cold fingers. I don't commute and just ride for fun so I am not in traffic, but when I do use the bike in slow tragic I have no problem with cold, so its wind chill that dose it but hand guards will not fit.Will not use muffs.
I did look into making my own heated liner but it was beyond me, had the grips debate and they are not for me.Don't fancy plugging in to a 20 year old battery, but do like the look of the XR12s but the other gloves in their range do not seen to offer much armer protection.
  Came across this - skip to 5.10, any one we know from here.

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 November 2018, 12:29:20 pm »
XRS12 are the same glove as the XR12, just with a shorter cuff to go under your jacket.  They also don't have the facility to use batteries on short journeys, as the batteries fit in the extended cuff.