Date: 23-04-24  Time: 22:06 pm

Author Topic: How free is your front wheel?  (Read 710 times)

roxburd

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
How free is your front wheel?
« on: 27 October 2018, 03:36:00 pm »

WARNING: DO NOT TOUCH YOUR DISCS WITHOUT CHECKING HOW HOT THEY ARE FIRST! THEY CAN GET HOT ENOUGH TO GIVE BAD BURNS!!!

(Yep, learned that one the hard way, many years ago)

I just finished cleaning up my front calipers - a job I'd done because after I replaced my tyres I noticed that the right-hand disc was getting hot and the left-hand disc wasn't.

I'm pretty happy that the brakes are in good condition but...

If I lift the front and spin the front wheel, giving it a good heft to spin it, it rotates just one full rotation. And I can hear a bit of rubbing.

Without that calipers fitted it does many rotations and is silent so I'm happy with the bearings.

On a good-distance run, finishing with some slow riding through town, when I stop the front discs are a similar temperature - warm to the touch but no where near hot enough to be uncomfortable to hold on to. On a faster run they do get hotter but still not so hot that I can't hold my fingers against them.

But I'm surprised that there is so much drag. Is that normal?

At the end of the day, it's the temperature of the discs that are the indicator if there's too much drag but I would expect the front to be a bit free-er.

Also, my rear disc gets hotter than the front discs. That's weird too, isn't it? I just put HH sintered pads in but that wouldn't explain the rear getting hotter than the front, surely??

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: How free is your front wheel?
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2018, 10:00:16 pm »
I'd say you've probably got a sticking caliper on the one side,maybe needs the pistons cleaning.The rear running a bit hotter than the front could be not getting as much cool air as the front. :thumbup
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.