Date: 18-04-24  Time: 14:58 pm

Author Topic: Different Headlamp  (Read 5061 times)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Different Headlamp
« Reply #50 on: 09 November 2018, 08:07:03 am »
Having projector spots on the side of the radiator looks fine.

My fear would be that if you did have a low side off or even just drop the bike while at a stand still would the spots not wreck the radiator? This would be bad enough if it were to happen getting it out of the shed or garage or putting it away, but should it happen 50 miles from home you are now in serious trouble with a busted radiator and no way of riding anywhere.

As Darrsi has said the projector spots are absolutely brilliant and really illuminate the road ahead, I have my spots focused ahead at about 30 feet to the centre of the beam.
I find this position does not dazzle oncoming drivers but really lights up the edge of the road and give good warning of debris and road kill you would sooner not ride through. the spots that I fitted I can only describe as shockingly white and just nudging up against a smallest hint of blue.
I have a pair of H4 Xenon Ultra White competition bulbs (Halfords) in my 2003 reg FZS600, now when I put these in they were so much whiter that the standard H4 halogen bulb, but with the spots switched on they still look yellowish.

I will go the LED route, but it appears that the wire retaining clip that holds the bulb in place seems to be hindered by the heat sink that is on most of the LED's making it impossible to fit. if this is the case, it makes me wonder how they are fitted to cars as the H4 fittings all look identical.

I had to take the 4th picture named 'OK' from above the projector beam because the beam is so bright my camera phone refused to capture an image. 
« Last Edit: 09 November 2018, 08:12:08 am by tommyardin »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 09 November 2018, 08:46:10 am »
Here is a short video clip of the lights on my FZS 600 Foxeye.
Again could not lower the camera into the beams as it just refused to capture an image, but what it does show is that all the lights do not overpower the indicators as some have said in the past.

redmandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 15 November 2018, 12:35:13 am »

My fear would be that if you did have a low side off or even just drop the bike while at a stand still would the spots not wreck the radiator? This would be bad enough if it were to happen getting it out of the shed or garage or putting it away, but should it happen 50 miles from home you are now in serious trouble with a busted radiator and no way of riding anywhere.

Sorry to flog this horse a little more but i like the mount you have here Tommy. My bike doesn't have this metal pipe attached to the chassis to mount the spots and offer crash protection though. Is this something you welded on yourself?

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 15 November 2018, 04:27:55 pm »

As Darrsi has said the projector spots are absolutely brilliant and really illuminate the road ahead, I have my spots focused ahead at about 30 feet to the centre of the beam.
I find this position does not dazzle oncoming drivers but really lights up the edge of the road and give good warning of debris and road kill you would sooner not ride through. the spots that I fitted I can only describe as shockingly white and just nudging up against a smallest hint of blue.
I have a pair of H4 Xenon Ultra White competition bulbs (Halfords) in my 2003 reg FZS600, now when I put these in they were so much whiter that the standard H4 halogen bulb, but with the spots switched on they still look yellowish.

I will go the LED route, but it appears that the wire retaining clip that holds the bulb in place seems to be hindered by the heat sink that is on most of the LED's making it impossible to fit. if this is the case, it makes me wonder how they are fitted to cars as the H4 fittings all look identical.

I had to take the 4th picture named 'OK' from above the projector beam because the beam is so bright my camera phone refused to capture an image. 

Hi Tommy, I've mounted the same 10W Crees on my Bandit (about 2 yr ago) at the same rad top screw as the Fazer. The bike has been over 3 times and all these Cree spots do is fold in on their mounting - nothing breaks or twists. Just need to reset the spots.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.