Date: 28-03-24  Time: 08:44 am

Author Topic: Copies of the Yamaha crash mushrooms: group buy?  (Read 3306 times)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Copies of the Yamaha crash mushrooms: group buy?
« on: 24 October 2018, 08:31:21 pm »
So as anyone who has been around fazer's for a while knows, getting the official yam accessories like the belly pan and yam branded crash bungs is next to impossible. So as I had low sided my fzs rescently I was just going get a new l/h side made up, but then I thought that maybe we could make this a forum thing and do a group buy and get a bunch of them done all at the same time.

Whats say you lot, anyone interested..?
« Last Edit: 17 December 2018, 05:55:09 pm by b1k3rdude »

Ripsnortingvtwin

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - cb750kz
    • View Profile
Re: Copies of the Yamaha crash mushrooms: group buy?
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2018, 10:40:45 am »
i would be up for the group buys if the prices were good , on this one I have them on mine so I'll dip out but thanks

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 October 2018, 06:23:38 pm »
Having low sided my Gen 1 last November, I could do with one new one as well, so happy to come in if the cost is right?

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2018, 08:03:04 pm »
Still need some for my bike so would also be interested if price and aesthetics are right

GhostCat

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 October 2018, 04:32:51 pm »
Count me in if the price is right although Im Gen 2 ?
« Last Edit: 28 October 2018, 04:33:40 pm by GhostCat »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 October 2018, 07:27:03 pm »
Evening

Ok once we have a dry & warmish weekend (preferably this weekend) I will remove them from the bike and make detailed measurements and then go about finding a local machine to get a quote.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 November 2018, 07:32:03 pm »
Evening

Got the one good protector with an engineering co, 6x pairs to start with will PM everyone who replied once I have them.

b.

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 November 2018, 08:42:04 pm »
Fantastic, thanks Bikerdude. 👍

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 November 2018, 09:46:49 pm »
On a related note, something I have always thought about these kits was to me the bobbin seemed a bit too stubby compared to the R&G kits.  Do we think this was for style reasons over engineering reasons?

Where the R&G kits have failed for me a tleast is the large metal block that their bobbins are bolted to, there appears to be nothing sacrificial about that block because when the bobbin wore through and the mounting bolt bent there was no more 'give'. This I'm guessing then transmitted force through to the block, pushing the block which then bent the frame. Now when its on the removable frame rail thats fine but on the side we can't then its potentially a right off.

In the same situation the 12mm aluminium base plate of the yam kit just bent in, the bobbin then got pussed up against the engine and then did its job of wearing against the road surface instead of the engine casings.

So do we think making the baseplate thicker to 15mm and increasing the height of the bobbin from 65mm to 80 or 100mm would effect the sacrificial way the kits operates..? I only ask because the things this kit as it stands, it dosen't help protect the front fairing, headlight, subframe and infills.

We of course have the option then is engine bars, there are few kits (Moto arcs, Swmotech) but only the Renntec appear to be compatible with the yam or other makes of bellypan - they are just butt ugly. Then we have these weird looking bars from Hepco and Becker
« Last Edit: 08 November 2018, 09:53:42 pm by b1k3rdude »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 November 2018, 11:26:33 am »
So do we think making the baseplate thicker to 15mm and increasing the height of the bobbin from 65mm to 80 or 100mm would effect the sacrificial way the kits operates..? I only ask because the things this kit as it stands, it dosen't help protect the front fairing, headlight, subframe and infills.
Spoke to the engineering guy, said increasing the baseplate thickness not advisable, if anything make them thinner. Checking the photo of my bike where it mounts to the frame rail, the plate hasent bent, but rather the bolts did. I am hopping that its just the bolts and not the frame rail, as that will be a right PITA to replace (Ive not seen any of these on ebay - I may just poke 2x long stainless steel bars in the hols and twak the hole back straight. I will check it this weekend if the weather is good enough.

Regarding the bobbins, he said there is no reason for them to be taperd, and he says we can have them longer at 100mm up from the current 65mm.
« Last Edit: 09 November 2018, 11:28:28 am by b1k3rdude »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 December 2018, 11:05:13 am »
Just an update to make you aware that the machine shop is still working on these.

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 December 2018, 04:28:55 pm »
Thanks for the update Dude. 👍

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 February 2019, 06:05:09 pm »
This project is still being worked on.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 April 2019, 07:36:25 am »
Ok so an update on this -

The guy who was going to make them closed-up shop, he then gave me the details of another guy who might be able to do it. This second guy then quoted me for them at £80 per set, his reason? the base materials were expensive.

So unless I can find a one man band with his own little machine shop this isn't going to happen @£80, we will be better off getting R&G sets which can be found much cheaper online.
« Last Edit: 12 April 2019, 07:42:26 am by b1k3rdude »

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 April 2019, 08:06:55 pm »

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12 April 2019, 09:23:27 pm »

No worries b1k3rdude.

Many thanks for your efforts anyway in trying to get these sorted.

Ok so an update on this -

The guy who was going to make them closed-up shop, he then gave me the details of another guy who might be able to do it. This second guy then quoted me for them at £80 per set, his reason? the base materials were expensive.

So unless I can find a one man band with his own little machine shop this isn't going to happen @£80, we will be better off getting R&G sets which can be found much cheaper online.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 April 2019, 07:18:45 pm »
http://www.jaybeebikerbits.co.uk/index.php/catalogsearch/advanced/result?make=403&model=747&year=421&price%5Bfrom%5D=&price%5Bto%5D=&search=

You really really do not want to be mounting crash protection, where the part can't transfer any force of an accident into the frame. The yamaha crash kit did its job in 2 ways, the base plate bent talking the initial impact which then allowed the nylon bobbin to do it job as the bike slide down the road.

However I also had sliders mounted to the forks and swingarm which are direct-mount and them did there job of protecting those two parts of the bike.

Many thanks for your efforts anyway in trying to get these sorted.

I haven't given up, I am still going to try and find a way to make this kit.
  • The first task I now think is to find some hollow 1080 round steel bar of the right diameter and cut it to length  - this will replace the spacer inside the bobbin.
  • Then I will find someone or somewhere that cane laser cut 10mm Aluminum into the shape we need
  • Then find some nylon bar odd the right outer diameter and just cut that to length and drill the main and counter sunk holes.
  • Then just find some Cheap Stainless steel bolts for the bobbin and frame mounts.