Date: 17-04-24  Time: 00:59 am

Author Topic: EXUP Servo  (Read 2172 times)

Old-Git

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW RT - and my Fazer
    • View Profile
EXUP Servo
« on: 07 April 2019, 04:07:20 pm »
So I've finished with the suspension, wilbers fork springs and new fork oil, and an R6 shock. Time for a service. Air and oil filter, plugs and oil change not too difficult. Hmm what's this exup thingy. Not much happening when I switch on. Flap itself moves, cables are OK. Took an age to wiggle the servo out, connected it to a spare battery, and it moves - but quite slowly. Any thoughts - should it turn quickly, is it worth taking it apart to have a look, or buy a 2nd hand one?

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: EXUP Servo
« Reply #1 on: 07 April 2019, 09:37:21 pm »
Yes it will move slowly as there is some substantial gear reduction internally.
I had an issues with the 7000 code on the tacho some years ago.
Dismantled the valve replaced the bushes (expensive feckers) and a frayed cable all back together and was still getting the 7000 code.
I removed and dismantled the servo, could not find anything wrong inside motor worked the pulley moved as it should slowly, put light grease on it and reassembled it.
Back on the bike still getting the 7000 code. Finally replaced it with a good second hand one and no more 7000 code.
There was nothing physically wrong that I could see and the only thing I could put it down to was an issue with the controller board within the servo.

Old-Git

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2019, 12:46:51 pm »
Thanks, I have a good 2nd hand unit coming.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2019, 03:08:02 pm »

Forgive my confusion Mr Old Git
You've bought another servo?  I didn't take your original comment 'Hmm what's this Exup thingy' as being it's faulty or  you've got a fault code?  Have you located the exup valve itself (in the exhaust) and checked it's operation from down below?   I use a mirror on the ground so I can see the pulley from above as I first turn the ignition on to check it's movement and whether adjustment is required. 
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Old-Git

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 April 2019, 07:07:51 pm »

Forgive my confusion Mr Old Git
You've bought another servo?  I didn't take your original comment 'Hmm what's this Exup thingy' as being it's faulty or  you've got a fault code?  Have you located the exup valve itself (in the exhaust) and checked it's operation from down below?   I use a mirror on the ground so I can see the pulley from above as I first turn the ignition on to check it's movement and whether adjustment is required.
Hiya, I could hear some fizzing but very little movement of the servo when I switched the engine on. And no flap movement. So I loosened the cables, detached them from the servo, and checked the cables and exhaust flap, both are free / loose. So I removed the servo, and tested it on a spare battery, and to me it moves very slowly - but I've got nothing to compare it against. So a good spare was cheap enough, will be interesting to compare the two. Hope this explains.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 April 2019, 11:58:30 pm »
 :thumbup

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 April 2019, 11:03:52 am »
my servo went...took me ages to ralise it was the servo and not the valve. bought a good second hander off a foccer. as a good rule of thumb I could turn the pulley on the good one by hand...had to use grips on the one that was focced… ;)

Old-Git

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 April 2019, 11:34:39 am »
short video of the 2 servos

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 April 2019, 01:48:00 pm »
short video of the 2 servos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgdNarlNz_Y

Unfair you stopped early on the first one  :( but  I can't stop watching it...…

please please don't let Disney get their mitts on it, they'll only soften it up and perhaps bring a female in for leading role

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 April 2019, 02:00:14 pm »
I see that a different way , isnt the old git trying to show the difference in movement , the new one travels over a full rotation where as the old one is just under a full rotation......
One, is never going to be enough.....

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 April 2019, 02:11:51 pm »
I see that a different way , isnt the old git trying to show the difference in movement , the new one travels over a full rotation where as the old one is just under a full rotation......

I thought it was about the speed of.

What is needed is a third one to act as the control group
« Last Edit: 13 April 2019, 02:12:53 pm by midden »

Old-Git

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 April 2019, 04:07:10 pm »
Doesn't matter what I was trying to show, end result is the same - no exhaust flap movement when ignition switched on, and the servo motor fizzes. So it must be whatever it is that sends info to the servo - or a short. Any ideas anyone?

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 April 2019, 04:24:51 pm »
so you've fitted the replacement servo

Have checked the pulley position at the exup before and after 'first' switching on ignition.     As I said previously I set a bathroom swivel mirror to the side of bike adjusted so I can see the pulley from over the seat/tank that way I can be looking at same time I turn ignition

me and my edits...…..  if the cables are set right you should see a movement where the pulley resets it's movement  and where that stops will tell you if adjustment is needed
« Last Edit: 13 April 2019, 04:26:47 pm by midden »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 April 2019, 04:43:05 pm »
So if you manually set the valve clockwise until the notch is about the 2 o'clock position, the servo makes no attempt to drive the exup to its  "home" position. It will only home once, unless the bike is started or the valve is manually moved as I mentioned earlier.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 April 2019, 04:50:15 pm »
Easiest way I found to check the position is start the bike and switch it off with the kill switch, this causes the valve to reset to default position which is the fork on the pulley over the hole. Restart the bike and pulley sets to the idling position, which is about the 10 o'clock position.
It saves turning on and off the key which on most Fazers needs a bit of fiddling. Using this method on the 03 on models or US imports to adjust the cables unplug the the headlight bulbs to save flatting the battery.

When I tested my servo a few years back I did not get the noise you got and it did move, but was extremely difficult to twist the pulley on the servo by hand compared to the replacement.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 April 2019, 09:55:44 pm »

Mine sets to the 9oclock  on the first turn on of the key  and that's how I read the set up to work. 

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 April 2019, 11:43:15 pm »
There is a difference though , if you turn off the bike with the key the servo cycles when the key is turned back on. If you kill the engine with the kill switch the servo cycles at that point so nothing happens when you next turn the key on.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Old-Git

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 April 2019, 08:57:31 am »
Well I had my first spin out on the bike since all of the work - oil & filter, air filter, spark plugs, wilbers fork springs, r6 shock - and all seems well. Suspension is a revalationI need to adjust the forks a bit but the shock is spot on. Ready for track days at Bedford in May and Donington in June.