Date: 28-03-24  Time: 12:58 pm

Author Topic: New FZ6 rider (but long time FZS600 rider)  (Read 2911 times)

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
New FZ6 rider (but long time FZS600 rider)
« on: 21 October 2018, 07:38:14 pm »
Gone and picked a nice little FZ6. My small step up to beat the ULEZ whilst sticking with the Fazer's we all love.

Interesting change from the FZS600.

One question, air filter change schedule, supplied FZ6 manual suggests every 40000km - is that right?! Surely it needs some attention more often than that?

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: New FZ6 rider (but long time FZS600 rider)
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2018, 08:29:23 pm »
Looks nice. The manuals say 25k miles, but you dont have to adhere to that. For example, I change oil and filters every year regardless, cos I want the bike to run at its best all the time. Plus if problems start, then you can put any association with those items to one side straight away. Really, you can set your own service schedule. Thats not a standard seat, does it have a makers name on it?

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2018, 01:05:15 pm »
Gone and picked a nice little FZ6. My small step up to beat the ULEZ whilst sticking with the Fazer's we all love.

Very nice! I presume that's the S2 model (2008 onwards)? My '06 FZ6 doesn't meet the new higher emissions standards (not that I'm planning on riding into London again any time soon).

One question, air filter change schedule, supplied FZ6 manual suggests every 40000km - is that right?! Surely it needs some attention more often than that?

The Haynes Manual lists the European and US recommended service intervals. For Europe it says replace the air filter every 25,000 miles (40,000km), for the US it says every 12,000 miles (20,000km)!

Frankly, take it out every year, have a look and if it's not too manky and the bike is running ok, don't worry about it :thumbup

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 October 2018, 07:54:45 pm »
Yep, S2 model, with cat etc.
Not sure about seat, will double check that. Wasn't aware it wasn't a standard one.
As for air filter, yeah will double check yearly. Has had dealer services all its life, so should
have been well looked after by the book.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 October 2018, 12:54:51 pm »
Seat does look standard, got 4S8 code on base, other other brand names on it. It certainly isn't the most comfy, front edges dig in a little to inside of thighs after a while. Wondering if it's been cut down slightly. The hot exhausts underneath are great this time of year, but I wonder if I'm going to be after an asbestos seat next summer...

Also, the screen with the little gap at it's base - I'm sure this is the cause of some loud wind howl when at speed. Is this normal? Is this indeed the cause?

Anyways, put on some Pilot Road 5's, feels so much better now. Came with some vintage Pilot Road (ones), dated 2010 and pretty squared off. Ordered some HiFlo air/oil filters, that'll be my weekend job, plus the usual ACF50 treatment. Also picked up a Haynes book at Yammy belly pan to go on too!

Missing my Stebel Nautilus horn off my old Fazer - anyone upgraded horn on FZ6? What fits well?
Reckon I'll have to do the headlight mod too, get the right hand dipped bulk working.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 October 2018, 10:35:33 pm »
Seat does look standard

I've just looked at some pics and it's the standard S2 seat.

Also, the screen with the little gap at it's base - I'm sure this is the cause of some loud wind howl when at speed. Is this normal? Is this indeed the cause?

Try sticking some gaffer tape over it and see if it makes a difference :thumbup

Anyways, put on some Pilot Road 5's, feels so much better now. Came with some vintage Pilot Road (ones), dated 2010

Yikes, those tyres would be well past their Use By date! Generally it's recommended that 5-6 years is the most they should be used before the rubber starts to degrade through age.

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 October 2018, 06:05:24 pm »
If I remember right the wind going through the front mudguard makes quite a bit of sound, maybe try taking it off and see if its quieter.When I had my 2005 model it had a touring screen fitted, the wind hit me quite high up nearer my chin, I bought a standard screen and it was quieter as the wind hit my chest.
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 November 2018, 07:47:04 am »
Be real interested to know how you compare the 2: sold my 1000 last year (mistake) and my Foxeye this year (starting to think this was a mistake as well, will I ever learn? ) and bought a Gsr750, but I keep looking at late S2 600s. On the plus side I have a Fjr 1300 which was worth every penny so not all bad. I miss the practically of my 600.

It's easier to get more money than it is a day of your life back.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 November 2018, 07:22:35 pm »
OK, nearly a month in with the FZ6 S2 (after 6 years odd with FZS600). Key differences that stood out to me:-

Tank range! 130-140 miles until fuel gauge starts flashing. Vs 200-230 miles on my old 2003 FZS600. And flash bar on fuel gauge doesn't really catch your eye... But I do like how it switches to the FTrip and counts up your 'reserve' miles. I know 130 miles odd is about normal for many bikes these days, was really spoilt with range of the old Foxeye.

Torque. The FZ6 feels more torquey, more low down grunt, and arm yanking as you set off. On paper, there's not much in it, but it's definitely noticeable on road.

I'm gonna say it doesn't feel quite a flickable as the FZS600, but I'm not sure if that's just me not so accustomed to it or really the case due to design, different front tyre size, or even tyre brand (have switched from Metz M7RR's on FZS600 to Mich PR5's on FZ6). But definitely handy to have more tyre choice with the slightly fatter 120/70 front.

Getting more vibe in pegs of FZ6, and I see there's rubber grommets on mounting too. Clutch feels heavier and not convinced by the free-play adjuster which appears to only lock on whole 360 degree rotations.

Seat position, legs/knees seem to fit in a lot better around tank/frame. Though do find seat-to-pegs distance a bit tight for my lanky legs, which can make rear brake usage a bit achy after a while.

Under seat exhaust, is nice and warm on ass this time of year, daughter loved it going pillion last weekend. But I don't like losing loads of storage space, and I do wonder how I'm gonna like it in height of summer...

Not liking the FZ6's single headlight design, dipped on left, main beam on right. Have ordered some wire to do the headlight mod. And will probably add extra spot lights later too. Commuting in London, need everything you can to stand out in traffic! Do like how dipped lights don't turn on until engine starts - good plan, could be handy if battery is ever low.

Givi rank seems to sit further forward, making things much tighter space wise for pillions. Especially with top box with back rest bolted on.

Mirrors on FZ6 don't hold position so well at FZS600, always need re-aligning after slightest nudge of removing rain cover.

Indicators hanging down from fairing on FZ6 - looks a bit naff. But probably a good choice, as in a drop, indicators often broke the fairing on the FZS600. Similarly, interesting to see separate fairing side panels where it would invariable get scuffed in a minor drop.

Servicing:
Spark plugs are a fecking nightmare to get to. Haynes books says remote radiator, tank, air box and battery, for every 6k spark plug gap inspection - WTF?! Got in there with spark plug tool from under seat kit and spanner, after loosening off radiator mounting to prise it slightly forward without disconnecting. Really need a ratchet spanner set though...
Replacing air filter on FZ6 is much easier than the FZS600.
Miss the oil eye sight window on FZS600. Dip stick gauge is more faff, removing, wiping, dipping etc.
Do like coolant filler on rad on FZ6 S2, rather than hidden under tank. But coolant overflow tank on front of engine is a shit location, cover is already corroded to fuck on a bike that's done only 12k and been garaged all it's life... At least it's cheap to replace.
Like how shock is less exposed to elements on FZ6 too, should help longevity.
Split fairing infils seem a good idea to aid access when lifting tank, again seems to be a practical design choice to aid servicing.

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 November 2018, 07:31:34 pm »
Thanks for the comprehensive review mate, think I'll knock that plan on the head. 👍

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 November 2018, 10:53:49 pm »
Tank range! 130-140 miles until fuel gauge starts flashing. Vs 200-230 miles on my old 2003 FZS600.

I get up to 200 (in summer) on my FZ6-SA (about 175 in winter) before reserve.

AFAIK the S2 has the same 19.4 litre tank, so I'm not sure why you get so much less mileage.

Getting more vibe in pegs of FZ6, and I see there's rubber grommets on mounting too.

The engine is a bit "buzzy", but you get used to it.

Clutch feels heavier and not convinced by the free-play adjuster which appears to only lock on whole 360 degree rotations.

If the cable hasn't been lubed, that could be why it's heavy. Also I think the free-play adjuster is a two part version (a large ring and a smaller barrel), where you can release one part, adjust and then lock them back together.

Spark plugs are a fecking nightmare to get to. Haynes books says remote radiator, tank, air box and battery, for every 6k spark plug gap inspection - WTF?! Got in there with spark plug tool from under seat kit and spanner, after loosening off radiator mounting to prise it slightly forward without disconnecting. Really need a ratchet spanner set though...

You've got the right technique. Haynes are talking out of their backside on this one! (I've seen a video where someone actually does it without even taking the radiator off, but that's a hell of a job...)

Split fairing infils seem a good idea to aid access when lifting tank, again seems to be a practical design choice to aid servicing.

I took the infills off mine permanently because it was a total PITA having to remove them to lift the tank, although you can do it by removing the bolt at the seat end of the tank and sliding it backwards a couple of inches to clear the infills.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 November 2018, 03:58:44 pm »
Yeah, maybe it does sound like I'm slagging off the FZ6 a bit. It really isn't a bad bike, it is still a fun bike to ride and I do like the extra low down grunt and torque which is more practical and usable power in some regards. It's still great to cane it down twisty roads with revs screaming too. Ultimately, the FZS600 does some things better, the FZ6 does other things better.

Tank range, 130 miles is on standard commute into London, mostly cutting through traffic, 2nd-3rd gear only, and point it switches to F-Trip. This is straight after service, fresh filters etc. so no idea why mine is different! Was getting a bit more when out of town, but still finding myself filling up as soon as I hit 100 miles, just so I don't run out and piss off everyone else on the ride... :-) On the FZS600 twice a day filling up was unheard of unless doing long distance touring.

Other plus points for the FZ6 is the decent downpipes (stainless?). My FZS600 pipes had rotted right through on the 4 into 1 collector at 15k. I also like the Alu frame and swingarm on FZ6 S2, definitely better looks wise and obviously won't rot. Over mounted rear brake caliper is more practical too - FZS600 underslung one was so prone to seizing up from elements.

Re: clutch freeplay adjuster - will double check, at first glance it didn't appear to be two separate lock nuts. Though I see Haynes book says it should be... As for heavy clutch, yeah cable could well be due for a change, it's probably original from 2007.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 November 2018, 05:31:59 pm »
I found the clutch heavy, particulary when negotiating heavy traffic. Was becoming unridable as it caused/contributed to hand/knuckle problems. Converted to a hydraulic clutch a couple of years ago, light years different, absolutely transformed the bike for me. Highly recommend, pricey but light as a feather

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 November 2018, 05:42:07 pm »
Ive spent a fair few hours since I sold my second bike looking to fill the space in garage. id like something sporty but not an R6/GXSR6 etc due to the riding position, i want to be comfortable. It would also have to be decent on a trackday. The more modern Fazer type 600s all appear to be down on power, and heavier. Something older may suit, but again dont have the performance of the FZ6 S2. Serious thought was given to both the boxeye and foxeye fazers, but the boxeye now looks dated and one could get a more modern ER6F for the same cash. So ive still a space. Just gotta keep looking

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 November 2018, 07:14:04 pm »
Well, I'll be flogging my old Foxeye soon. Was just gonna give it regularly 6k service and give it a nice clean. 😉

Carlsv8

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 November 2018, 08:12:23 pm »
Ive spent a fair few hours since I sold my second bike looking to fill the space in garage. id like something sporty but not an R6/GXSR6 etc due to the riding position, i want to be comfortable. It would also have to be decent on a trackday. The more modern Fazer type 600s all appear to be down on power, and heavier. Something older may suit, but again dont have the performance of the FZ6 S2. Serious thought was given to both the boxeye and foxeye fazers, but the boxeye now looks dated and one could get a more modern ER6F for the same cash. So ive still a space. Just gotta keep looking
Have a look at a Gsr 750, not too bad.