Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > Fazer 1000/FZ1 corner

Cold Blooded Starter

(1/1)

NitramA:
The bikes always been a bit hesitant when cold, needing a good couple of miles before its settled down, but last time I went out (it was sunny but nippy) I couldn’t pull away without it dieing on me.

The choke had an effect, but not enough to stop the engine bogging down when trying to move away.
Once I did manage to get going, it ran perfectly, tick over is fine and I get good power through the rev range.
I cleaned out the carbs this year so I know its not all gummed up.
Whilst the bike is an 05 its done less than 10k miles and is always garaged so all the rubbers are perfect.
Any ideas?

crussell92:
I had a 2002 bandit that used to do this. Fine when warm but cold it didn't want to go. Turned out one of the choke sliders wasnt opening/closing with the rest on carb no 2, so id operate the choke and see if you can visually see them all operating.

NitramA:
Hmm this problems become more noticeable again.
Everything is fine if I let the engine warm up before riding off, but if I try to go too soon the engine just bogs down.

Whilst I did clean out the bottom end of the carbs, I’m pretty sure I didn’t look at the choke other than making sure the slider moved in and out freely.
Before I try again, I’d like to understand how the choke circuit works. I seem to remember seeing a post that described how the carb worked throughout its operating range.
Buggered if I can find it though!
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Anquetil:
Hi NitramA.  I have had a 2005 Fazer 1000 for the past 6 years and I never pull away with a cold engine, because it will bog down. If I'm going out for a ride I start the engine and leave it running whilst I am putting my gear and helmet on, so it's well warmed up. Never had any problem.

NitramA:
Maybe it’s not a problem then!
I thought it used to lift the tickover and I had to stop the revs going to 3k or so as it warmed up when I had the choke on, but maybe that was another bike.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version