Date: 29-03-24  Time: 08:14 am

Author Topic: sorry to ask this question guys  (Read 1689 times)

74eldiablo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
sorry to ask this question guys
« on: 13 October 2018, 08:24:35 pm »
HiSo i've tried the search function and its not really come up with any of my symptoms, so i gotta take the plunge and ask some hardened fazerheads.
When i bought the bike i noticed a vibration on the bikini fairing whilst doing maybe 30mph there is like a funny whirring sound, as i accelerate up to motorway speeds 70 - 80 mph i can feel the vibes really strongly through the tank, i can literally play a tune with my knees :)
holding my knees close to the tank slightly takes the vibes away. but it is still annoying.I lifted off the tank and noticed some foam on the underside that looked worn so i will replace this as soon as i can, are there any mods i can do whilst the tank is off ?? and where can i get the foamy shizz??
I really dont want to start taking off the fairing and adding rubber washers/grommets only to find its still there.
any ideas, go easy on a new forum user, probably doing a done to death question, its my only major gripe with the bike
thanks

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: sorry to ask this question guys
« Reply #1 on: 13 October 2018, 10:16:14 pm »
Hi, the common vibration on the fairing is caused by the standard indicators, they have a slight movement which is the cause,I just got some black silicone sealant & squeezed it between the base where the indicator goes through the fairing then wipe off access & allow to set.   

Also check you have the tank rubbers on the frame, item 37 in pic.

https://www.ajsutton.co.uk/genuineparts/9656/27/yamaha-fzs600-fazer-2000/fuel-tank?uID=0

Foam can be purchased on Ebay.

« Last Edit: 13 October 2018, 11:54:04 pm by bandit »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 October 2018, 11:07:24 pm »
One of the bulb holders is also a buzy, hold the revs at standstill at 3 or4k and press different parts and hear the buz stop. I have given up (dont stay long at 4k anyway  ;)
« Last Edit: 13 October 2018, 11:10:07 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 October 2018, 10:08:50 am »
A lot of vibrations can be cured very easily with soft sided velcro.

In the past i've used it on the fairing shield, fairing infill trays and also used it to reinforce plastics that have started to crack due to age like the triangular panels that sit just under the seat on both sides.
It has a very strong sticky side that doesn't budge and is very inconspicuous.

Double check your engine mounting bolts are correctly tightened, and not cracked at all as this can be a major cause for extra vibes, and make sure your centre stand and exhaust aren't rattling away on each other.

As mentioned, indicators as well as wing mirror glass have been known to be culprits in the past as well.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 October 2018, 01:00:36 pm »
Could be wheel balance particularly if it is getting worse with speed and causing physical vibration and not just noises

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 October 2018, 01:17:55 pm »
Not sure about shoving foam under the fuel tank as a fix for a buzzing vibration, it could/would eventually get water logged (Rain or washing) and cause ignition/electrical and rusting problems, especially to the base of the tank.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 October 2018, 03:12:38 pm »
Maybe carbs need balancing?

74eldiablo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 October 2018, 08:37:33 am »
Thanks for the replies i appreciate it

A lot of vibrations can be cured very easily with soft sided velcro.

In the past i've used it on the fairing shield, fairing infill trays and also used it to reinforce plastics that have started to crack due to age like the triangular panels that sit just under the seat on both sides.
It has a very strong sticky side that doesn't budge and is very inconspicuous.

Double check your engine mounting bolts are correctly tightened, and not cracked at all as this can be a major cause for extra vibes, and make sure your centre stand and exhaust aren't rattling away on each other.

As mentioned, indicators as well as wing mirror glass have been known to be culprits in the past as well.
I'll start by checking all engine bolts 1st, then i'll take off the fairing and add some rubber 'O' rings here and there to see if that helps, then purchase a roll of velcro.

Maybe carbs need balancing?
The previous owner said he had the carbs balanced, but i suppose that should be checked again, whats the average cost for a carb balance?I watched a video on youtube yesterday with one guy on here balancing his carbs and it looked a bit of a nightmare even with all the correct tackle.
I'll probably pay someone with experience to do it
Not sure about shoving foam under the fuel tank as a fix for a buzzing vibration, it could/would eventually get water logged (Rain or washing) and cause ignition/electrical and rusting problems, especially to the base of the tank.
It already has some black foamy shit already on the underside of the tank looks o.e. as well, i meant i would maybe try and get some newer stuff as you can see when you lift up the tank it's work down in certain places.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 October 2018, 10:41:10 pm »
Worn front tyre in the shape of a triangle ?

Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 October 2018, 11:52:59 pm »
Worn front tyre in the shape of a triangle ?

Don't rule out correct psi either!
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.