Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:50 pm

Author Topic: UFC 229 - McGregor vs Khabib  (Read 1273 times)

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
UFC 229 - McGregor vs Khabib
« on: 08 October 2018, 11:03:47 am »
Disappointed in McGregors performance, he was owned. However Khabib hardly gave him any opportunity to take control.
The handful of fights (inside and outside the Octagon AFTER their fight :D ) certainly put the event in the news, aside from the fact McGregor lost tapping out!

This morning McGregor has spoken and wants a rematch. He needs to seriously pickup his game. Unless he's only thinking about another couple of £million to top-up his bank balance.

Plus since when was there a large Islamic following in Russia? Khabibs constant references to Allah also grew tiring - Allah helped him win.... of course. Trash talk from both camps! :)

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: UFC 229 - McGregor vs Khabib
« Reply #1 on: 09 October 2018, 12:20:01 am »
It's about time they put a time limit on"grappling" I know the stronger man wins but it spoils it for everyone else ,I was surprised how easy Floyd Mayweather took him apart,just goes to show, stick to your own skills.
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 October 2018, 12:07:36 pm »
The grappling isn't exciting, agreed, although it is technical, plus can end a fight in seconds.
They were saying Khabib just bear hugs as a way to compress the opponents chest etc, sapping their energy. Although he did win with a choke hold.

The Floyd Mayweather fight was the promotion McGregor needed, as well as securing his life financially.
In a boxing contest, against a world champion boxer, the odds were against him.

If I was offered a pay cheque for 70 odd million, I would happily stand in the ring for a few rounds too - providing a hospital bed was guaranteed afterwards. :)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 October 2018, 04:51:00 pm »
At 70 Mil you could buy the hospital

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 October 2018, 07:53:54 pm »
The grappling isn't exciting, agreed, although it is technical, plus can end a fight in seconds.
They were saying Khabib just bear hugs as a way to compress the opponents chest etc, sapping their energy. Although he did win with a choke hold.

The Floyd Mayweather fight was the promotion McGregor needed, as well as securing his life financially.
In a boxing contest, against a world champion boxer, the odds were against him.

If I was offered a pay cheque for 70 odd million, I would happily stand in the ring for a few rounds too - providing a hospital bed was guaranteed afterwards. :)

Only thing is would you be around to spend it! :z

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 October 2018, 10:39:46 pm »
It's about time they put a time limit on"grappling" I know the stronger man wins but it spoils it for everyone else ,I was surprised how easy Floyd Mayweather took him apart,just goes to show, stick to your own skills.

Not the stronger man at all, look at the really early UFC fights where there were no weight limits, the Gracie family were hardly known as being of big stature but they could impressively bend the biggest and strongest of people into some sort of submission to seal the deal, hence their massive reputation.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 October 2018, 12:22:15 am »
That's an eye opener, you obviously know your stuff,probably the same reason you sometimes see a smallish guy win in arm wrestling. :think

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 October 2018, 01:31:02 am »
Still got the first 3 UFC on VHS, quite arguably the best ever, and so much more entertaining to watch  :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 October 2018, 08:42:49 am »
Still got the first 3 UFC on VHS, quite arguably the best ever, and so much more entertaining to watch  :lol

Haven't got a VHS player though, and if i did it would probably chew the tapes up even better than the good old days.   :rollin

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 October 2018, 08:45:30 am »

Early ones were the best. First one I say was Gracie pulling out the ponytail from an evil looking bugger and kept doing 6" punches to his eye - Gracie won. Also had a young Ken Shamrock v a black boxer - Shamrock retired with a dead leg. Also had the big ginger Canadian Karate guy. Loved it.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 October 2018, 08:52:56 am »

Would still take some doing to ever top this brawl though!
None of this hugging and foreplay malarkey, i s'pose you could call this a real man's fight, and is the one i always refer to when UFC is mentioned.

It has that "holy fucking shit" wow factor about it, and i'd say the crowd got more than their ticket was ever worth seeing a piece of history in the making.

Here's the highlights!!!  :eek

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 October 2018, 01:40:06 pm »

None of this hugging and foreplay malarkey, i s'pose you could call this a real man's fight, and is the one i always refer to when UFC is mentioned.

It has that "holy fucking shit" wow factor about it, and i'd say the crowd got more than their ticket was ever worth seeing a piece of history in the making.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp9WN5DCCGw

Now that's a fight !!!!!! :thumbup
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 October 2018, 03:06:29 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp9WN5DCCGw

Now that's a fight !!!!!! :thumbup

You'd never have thought Magnum P.I. was such a bruiser  :lol