Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:20 pm

Author Topic: Blind Spot Mirrors  (Read 3049 times)

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Spot Mirrors
« Reply #25 on: 16 October 2018, 09:47:10 am »
Yes, Ive got one. Does increase your peripheral vision, but you still cant see whats directly behind you as your bodys still in the way, hence I am now trialling a rear view camera. One other thing i noticed with the riderscan is that the traffic appears very suddenly in the mirror due to the shape, in a split second almost. You can check the mirror, start to manoeuvre, and suddenly theres something there. So, in fact, you still must "lifesaver" check. Useful, but not a significant improvement on standard mirrors and lifesaver.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 October 2018, 10:48:13 am »
I have seen some cars that have wing mirrors that have the outer section as a wide view separated with a dotted line but all in a totally flat one piece mirror
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 October 2018, 11:21:09 am »

Here is my fake photoshoped idea  [image]

I didn't mean add extensions to the ends of the Bike mirrors.

I referred to towing caravans from a reference perspective. Blindspot mirrors are on the outside (not inside).
You'd stick those little sticky blindspot mirror things on the far side surface of your mirrors (not the inside side of the mirror)  ... plus not extensions either! :)

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16 October 2018, 12:53:55 pm »
I already find the bike mirrors don't give a good enough view of what's behind (especially because of elbows), so to fit blindspot mrrors in the bit of the current mirror that's actually useful, seems counter-intuitive......at the moment.

I think they're a great idea - and would love some, if the current mirrors made the practical - but for the time being will stick with regular mirror glances and life-savers.

My only worry would be riders who stopped doing their life-savers because they had blind-spot mirrors. Car drivers have already stopped doing the look-over-the-shoulder, before manoeuvring and now rely almost entirely on mirrors/camera's - especially in newer cars with the little amber and red arrows that light up on the door mirror when the car "detects" something coming up alongside (they were bloody annoying on my Evoque).

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 16 October 2018, 02:59:04 pm »
I personally just use my eyes 😃 my mirrors are beyond useless as they are more of a fashion accessory than anything practical, so a turn of the head is sufficient. I find from learning to ride without them then I'm are far more aware when doing shoulder checks etc I actually take in my surroundings instead of just glancing

To be fair unless it has blue flashing lights then I couldn't care less what's behind me, it certainly won't be coming past me so its irrelevant haha

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 16 October 2018, 04:40:26 pm »
With regard to fitting them, if you want them, the top inside corner is best because that area usually gives a good view of your shoulders and is a large enough area for the blindspot mirrors to be protected from windblast. The outside top corner is a "valuable" viewing area, and being narrower at this end of the bikes mirrors, the blindspots would be wind blasted off in no time, as wouldn't be totally protected.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.