Date: 28-03-24  Time: 17:31 pm

Author Topic: Plastic waste in seas/oceans  (Read 5512 times)

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
Plastic waste in seas/oceans
« on: 06 October 2018, 07:26:09 am »
 Why is it when ever there's a programme or article in the press it's about the Uk waste/litter that finish's up in the seas, and for the record I think it no plastic should be in the sea's it should be recycled or if it can't be, not used at all. Why is it though these programmes/articles fail to show/blame the countries that's beaches/ river banks are covered knee deep in waste of all kind, especially plastic waste and try to lay the guilt trip on us. There's 2 of us in our house hold and we fill 2 large recycling bins for every 2 weeks for collection. Most of the people on the estate I live on also put out 1 or 2 full bins for every fortnight collection and a green waste bin. We had to ask for a second recycling bin so don't know how families manage with one, because it's not common knowledge you can ask for a second recycling bin. I get annoyed by the way these eco warriors always blame an easy target who for the main are trying there best to recycle, and don't lay the blame where it belongs and most of it does not belong on the shoulders of the UK population.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Plastic waste in seas/oceans
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2018, 08:23:07 am »
Because we're one of the only countries full of softy eco twats that will get up in arms about it. Go to the middle of Africa or India and ask them about plastic waste and see if they give a shit
 It's the same with carbon emissions, go to hong kong and breathe in the lovely smog then ask them how much they pay in Vehicle emissions duty 🙄
Our governments shafts us for £120 a year to drive a piddly little 1 litre shoe with wheels yet the yanks version of an eco friendly car is a v6!

The thing about all this that really pisses me off is the fact they blame us (the average joe) when in fact we do exactly as we should. We put all our recycling in our little tubs, wash out the jars, fold the cardboard then some sumbag council run company throws it in a river or buries it in the ground.
At the end of the day we don't make all this plastic crap that ends up in the sea..... penny pinching companies do because it's cheap.

We used to get drinks in glass bottles, now they're plastic, we used to have paper bags... etc etc
Why does fruit and veg need to come in plastic wrappers? Or eggs or meat?

Instead of taxing us and making us do all the work the government needs to clamp down on the millionaire company bosses and make them sacrifice a little profit for the sake of the planet!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2018, 09:42:06 am »
I put my hands up to this one, I am guilty. I save up all my plastic and drive 80 miles to the nearest coast and chuck it in the sea. I then wait a couple of weeks and I can see it washed up on a beautiful Caribbean island with a very bronzed looking eco warrior in  bermuda shorts who flew there on a big jet just so they can point at it.     
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2018, 10:11:55 am »
My guvnor ordered me 150 antenna's for our transmitter kits last week, imagine plastic aerials about 4" long about the width of a pencil.
Now you'd think they'd come loose in a Jiffy bag or the like, but no, this dirty great box arrived then once opened there were several more cardboard boxes inside.
Not even guessing what was inside i opened up one of the smaller cardboard boxes then found 10 x 5" square silver plastic bags with ONE aerial each inside.
This is a non perishable item that not only would be fine to lob in a Jiffy bag, but surely it would lower production costs and also labour to cut out all the extra baggage? 
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2018, 10:36:27 am »
It is funny. Put what you want in whatever bin you want. You're local council probably just incinerates the lot and sells you back the electricity generated!

They use the "illegal levels of nitrogen" in london to justify congestion charging.. then build incinerators all around london. It doesn't make any sense to me. They always change the story to suit the agenda.

We also have the biggest sewage treatment works in Europe.. and all the bio material is burnt and sold back in electricity.
Pretty amazing these site probably emit more carbon and nitrogen then anything else you can think of.

Oh well, keep the ecomentalists occupied with plastic bottles, cotton buds, straws and cigarette ends while these sites keep chugging along.

What has the plastic bag tax achieved? I notice the supermarkets are already making the '5p' bags thinner and smaller already. Any idea where the revenue has gone and how many turtles have actually been saved?

-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 October 2018, 11:13:14 am »
Another thing that bugs me is that we get quoted that the UK throws more into land fill than any other EU country - but the only reason is they dont got any focing holes !

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 October 2018, 11:39:03 am »

What has the plastic bag tax achieved? I notice the supermarkets are already making the '5p' bags thinner and smaller already. Any idea where the revenue has gone and how many turtles have actually been saved?
[/quote

Revenue for the goverment!  Because that is what it is all about, the solution to every problem is to tax it!
Doesn't matter if it is plastic waste, alcohol, tobacco, sugar or anything at all, if it is bad for the environment or your health just tax it because that absolutely and definitely solves the problem every time.

What we need is a "Lily The Pink" invention to solve all the worlds environmental problems :)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 October 2018, 11:44:06 am »

Why is it though these programmes/articles fail to show/blame the countries that's beaches/ river banks are covered knee deep in waste of all kind, especially plastic waste and try to lay the guilt trip on us.

I’m not sure why you think they are trying to put the blame on ‘us’ as you say.  Though on the other hand surely, we should be thankful for those who are highlighting the issue.  It is absolutely and utterly out of control.  And in turn this will only change through pressure, public pressure, ie – us.

We used to get drinks in glass bottles, now they're plastic, we used to have paper bags... etc etc
Why does fruit and veg need to come in plastic wrappers? Or eggs or meat?

Spot on.  I could have a major rant on “What gets my Goat” about all the pointless useless packaging I come home with every time I visit the supermarket.  But don’t forget it’s packaged this way to sell it to us.  I may hate it, but clearly it sells.

As for everybody putting everything nicely into the correct bin.  Well I’ve parked my car in many laybys at the side of trunk roads all over Scotland as I work my way round various hills.  A great many of these laybys resemble mini land fill sites.  Why?

So yeah I’m all in favour of these programmes and articles etc… One way or another we’ll get the packaging we deserve. :rolleyes :eek :lol

One thing I hope we see highlighted and see more often – is dump your packaging days.  You do your shop at the supermarket, and then before you pack it in your bags, you unpack it at the till and leave all the unnecessary useless packaging at the till for the supermarket to bin/recycle.

And don’t forget, at the end of the day, it’s not just the wildlife eating plastic, we are now eating it too.
What has the plastic bag tax achieved?
An 86% reduction in single use bags.
I notice the supermarkets are already making the '5p' bags thinner and smaller already.
Some supermarkets have done away with them, hopefully all the others will follow.
how many turtles have actually been saved?
None.  We are still dumping way too much plastic, left right and centre.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 October 2018, 11:49:22 am »
Revenue for the goverment!  Because that is what it is all about, the solution to every problem is to tax it!
It’s not a tax, it’s a compulsory charge, retailers are expected to give the money to good causes.
https://www.mygov.scot/carrier-bag-charge/

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 October 2018, 12:12:03 pm »
as a species, it has to be said, we don't deserve to be at the top of the food chain. or even halfway up it..philosophers have been arguing about "what it is to be human" since the ancient greeks. I think we all know, we just don't want to admit it lol
« Last Edit: 06 October 2018, 12:13:32 pm by ogri48 »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 October 2018, 12:13:18 pm »
Aye.  As a species we have evolved to eat our own shit.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 October 2018, 12:14:35 pm »
"true that" mate, as the young people say..

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 October 2018, 01:01:18 pm »
What has the plastic bag tax achieved?
An 86% reduction in single use bags.

Ths is a classic case of making the story fit the agenda.  :rolleyes
In my experience I probably use a 1/5th of the number of "single use" bags I used to. I still sometimes have to buy a "reusable" bag because I've either forgetten or done a convenience shop... but now I have to buy a bag that is 5times thicker and probably takes 10times longer to biodegrade. The nett result is the same as before, the difference is now I'm paying 5p!! How is that the answer?  :rolleyes :lol :b

I used to use the single use bags as bin bags around the house... now I buy an extra roll of bin bags.. :rollin :rollin :rollin

I'm only messing with you. I agree something needs to be done. But there is lower hanging fruit that doesn't involve charging Joe Public.  :\
« Last Edit: 06 October 2018, 02:54:34 pm by Bretty »
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 October 2018, 02:12:55 pm »
 There is a lot of research now being carried out into land fill mining.
For two reasons – the land fill sites are now a serious source of pollution. 
We are going run out many of the precious metals we use in advanced electronics.  We need to dig out all the mobile phones, computers and other devices that have gone to land-fill.
Expect sometime in the future your local land fill to be dug up, processed and recycled. 
Mental.

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 October 2018, 05:40:15 pm »
Got to agree with Dudeofrude on this issue, we in this country are shat upon at every opperchancity by all our governments, we pay through the nose for everything and allow MP's to tax every furkin thing that we need, and enjoy, plus we subsidise these Bstards life style. Time it was all stopped.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 October 2018, 06:11:49 pm »
It’s not a tax, it’s a compulsory charge, retailers are expected to give the money to good causes.
https://www.mygov.scot/carrier-bag-charge/

It is revenue for the government, the charge includes vat which last year resulted in a nice £17 million earner.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 October 2018, 07:35:47 pm »
Why is it though these programmes/articles fail to show/blame the countries that's beaches/ river banks are covered knee deep in waste of all kind, especially plastic waste and try to lay the guilt trip on us.

For fear of being accused of racism and causing offence.

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 October 2018, 08:38:54 pm »
I tried to be careful how I put that YamFazFan didn't want to be accused of racism or causing offence. It wont change due to public pressure no politician of any party has ever listened to the great unwashed of this country and carried out their wishes.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 October 2018, 08:52:05 pm »

For fear of being accused of racism and causing offence.
This is what gets my back up -in those countries they show the piles of plastic that THEY have dumped and then switch it over to how WE should be taxed more to cut our plastic use. Both the BBC and Sky are pumping out the rhetoric - no doubt egged on by the government to condition us to then accept extra taxes.
And if you wanna talk about pointless packaging in supermarkets, the worst offenders are Aldi and Lidil I don't think you can buy any fruit or veg that is not in a plastic bag.Its all pre weighed and bagged up, heaven forbid that the checkout person spends an extra 3 seconds to weigh it before they sling it past the till at 300 mph !         

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 October 2018, 10:05:50 am »

We have a long way to go.

It's reduce, reuse, recycle. In that order. Please don't think that by filling two recycling bins (for two people in a fortnight? How?) you are being environmentally friendly, better not to bring that material to your residence in the first place i.e. reduce.

I see people in supermarkets - typically pick up a couple of bananas and in the very thin give away plastic bag they go. Why? Last I knew bananas had a protective skin on them already. In the same vein I see cars drive to car park recycling bins... I see average speeds of 80mph on motorways (what's wrong with 56mph and fuel and emissions saving?) I see vehicle use for pleasure, I see motor racing, I see new vehicles being produced, sold and used, I see cheap clothing shops with huge queues at tills, I see fast food packaging everywhere, I see house building when we already have housing numbers sufficient to house everyone (just not necessarily where people want to live) I see shops filled with single use plastic goods for every holiday (halloween currently) I see fireworks every year (any idea just how massively polluting they are?) I could go on. That's just what I see, don't start me on what I hear and feel (heating for cold, air conditioning for hot everywhere, what's with that? We are warm blooded live with it and enjoy ffs).

I can only conclude that this societal structure is not sustainable.

Let's be honest here: We all want to be environmentally friendly, I think that's a given. When we are comfortably well off it's quite easy too. As soon as paying rent/mortgage/bills is under threat the environment (and pretty much everything else) goes out of the window. It's why people rip tusks out of elephants, cut down rain forests and produce plastic novelty items - to pay bills and put food on the family table i.e. be a good provider. It's not so easy to take the moral high ground with en empty belly and hungry children. So... cut to the chase here: the human race has two options: a massive reduction in numbers or scrapping of the monetary system. Either of these should eliminate plastic going into our oceans.

The irony of all this is that living by the 'reduce, reuse, recycle' maxim actually saves loads of money!
is it clean enough?

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 October 2018, 06:41:16 pm »
It is interesting listening to every ones thoughts and opinions on the issue of plastics and other packaging.

Some say Reduce at the till in the supermarket, the problem is that whether you buy that product or not it is packed in plastic, if its not bought it goes into a skip then into landfill plastic and all, if it is purchased the plastic has a better chance of being recycled.
2 wheelie bins a fortnight does seem excessive for two people, but if their council does recycle it all as they say they do then it has to be a good thing.

I honestly think that the problem of plastic and other waste products can only be solved at the factory goods in gates.

A lot of manufactures don't actually give a fuck, it's all about maximum profit for the smallest outlay, profits and shareholders must be appeased, they don't want to hear we have very little profits the financial year but we a very environmentally friendly and have cut down on our carbon footprint by 60%. It also puts the unemployment figures up.

Hedgehogs, red squirrels, water voles, newts, sand lizards, there is a programme on the TV I can hear now as I am typing this drivvle (Country File)  all these animals are at risk because of building and other development including modern farming which is destroying hedge rows and field ditches, and it is called progress.

I am afraid we all are a part of the problem, we want cheaper goods, and that usually means automated packaging plants that use more and more plastics.

More and more plastics are being used in the building trade/construction (High thermal value materials) that will also add to the problem in years to come. :eek

« Last Edit: 07 October 2018, 06:42:05 pm by tommyardin »

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 October 2018, 08:35:26 pm »
Did my bit to save on plastic in the oceans this after noon when I went out for a ride this after noon took a reusable water bottle with me instead of a plastic one, but did use 2 tanks of gas just enjoying the ride so guess I'm not environmentally after all.   

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07 October 2018, 08:51:11 pm »
There are (so it would seem)  also health issues with re using plastic water bottles over and over

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 October 2018, 08:57:33 pm »
Some plastic packaging IS needed, for instance cucumbers, the plastic sleeve prolongs the life, we thought we were saving the planet when we saw a cucumber without plastic but had to bin it after a few days--waste water growing it-waste transport pollution- and so on but at least when I bin it that it degrades quick. But there should be a bio degradable sleeve option.
EDIT- IMO cucumbers are a waste of focin time anyway !       

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 October 2018, 09:18:40 pm »
Cant do away with plastic anyway, cast iron fairing on a Fazer? not forgetting infill panels, side panels and lead crash helmets, cork mobile phones and cardboard iPads.

Plastic is here to stay, so get used to it, we just need to manage it better,and until governments worldwide passes legislation to control it we will have to put up with it.
Even recycle centres in different areas can not agree on what can and can not be recycled.