Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:42 pm

Author Topic: The infamous seized compression damping adjusters  (Read 2337 times)

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
The infamous seized compression damping adjusters
« on: 04 October 2018, 06:32:54 pm »
Just thought I'd share my experience with this issue especially as so far it has gone in my favour.

Bought some forks with completely seized adjusters and made the usual mistake of trying to force them with loose fitting flat head and obviously sheared off a bit of brass so left it at that and got some pen fluid on it over night. Next day still nothing and it was clear if I continued I'd just strip the brass.

Next step it getting the biggest screw driver available and using a rotary tool with a sanding attachment file the flat head down so it's a really tight fit with no movement at all. Once that's sorted and with the forks off the bike, use a quality 19mm spanner to unscrew the whole adjuster mechanism and give it a good clean with a wire brush then soak it in penetrating fluid over night.

Next day after removing the rubber o ring blowtorch the top/brass bit with a kitchen blowtorch, not a powerful plumbing one as I don't believe it needs to get red hot and perhaps could be damaged by it. Once it's smoking for 30-60 seconds drop it back into the pen fluid which is probably best done outside and in a metal container for obvious reasons, I used a food tin.

Once cooled you should get a bit of movement with the modded screw driver, if not repeat the heating and cooling in pen fluid. After a bit of gentle wiggling it should free up. It will likely sound like shit with grinding or squeaking noises and is unlikely to have any noticeable clicks.

Wrap it in a bit cloth and carefully clamp it with mole grips or a vice but be very careful not to damage the threads and use the old fire by friction method of spinning a stick back and forth very quickly with the screwdriver, just kept at it multiple times throughout the day applying wd40 regularly until it feels nice and smooth and the indicator clicks can be felt and heard.

A word of caution - Be careful not to wind the adjuster in past it's designed stopping point while turning clockwise. It seems the brass cone at the back of the mechanism which protrudes through the steel hole and blocks off the oil flow can be deformed by over tightening which causes the adjuster to have more than the stated 21 clicks as some of the cones end up protruding further.

So far out of the four adjusters I've freed up the clicks range from 24-38. The standard setting for the forks is 6 clicks out from being turn in all the way clockwise but if one of your adjusters has 21 clicks and the other 38 then 6 clicks out will not give the same results. I've noticed the all the adjusters looked the same when wound all the way out, anti-clockwise so if this happens id recommend counting your clicks in, clockwise as opposed to out, anti-clockwise making the standard setting 15 clicks clockwise from the fully turned out (anti-clockwise) position.

This has worked on all four adjusters of my original forks and the additional purchased forks which were all seized solid so I'd say it's a good and safe method. Hope this helps someone at some point because it's a real bitch and bloody expensive if it doesn't go right!
« Last Edit: 05 October 2018, 03:51:24 pm by Triggergee »

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: The infamous seized compression damping adjusters
« Reply #1 on: 05 October 2018, 09:16:05 am »
Thanks for sharing, I've added a link to this onto the Gen1 FAQ as I'm sure it will benefit others.

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 October 2018, 12:39:57 pm »
Thanks for sharing, I've added a link to this onto the Gen1 FAQ as I'm sure it will benefit others.

No problem, thanks for linking it  :thumbup

ArchDruid

• DAS Born Again
  • wearing my tyres with pride
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Tiger 1050; YZF750/1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 October 2018, 01:32:33 pm »
Well done & thanks for the post. Clearly you've had a lot more patience with them than I had given mine. Mine died a terrible death after 2 days of the pen oil & screwdriver torture. When there is a next time, I shall try your trial by fire   :-) The custom fit screw driver will also increase the chances of success.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 October 2018, 05:20:59 pm »

So far out of the four adjusters I've freed up the clicks range from 24-38. The standard setting for the forks is 6 clicks out from being turn in all the way clockwise but if one of your adjusters has 21 clicks and the other 38 then 6 clicks out will not give the same results. I've noticed the all the adjusters looked the same when wound all the way out, anti-clockwise so if this happens id recommend counting your clicks in, clockwise as opposed to out, anti-clockwise making the standard setting 15 clicks clockwise from the fully turned out (anti-clockwise) position.

Good job freeing off the seized adjusters and thanks for sharing the technique.  :thumbup
I have to disagree with your suggestion of counting adjustment clicks in from fully out, though.  It doesn't matter that the adjusters themselves may have more clicks range on one than the other. 

With the adjuster wound in fully, it blocks the oil bleed hole completely.  Winding out the same number of clicks on each adjuster will therefore ensure that the orifice is exposed equally, which is what we want. :)