Date: 19-04-24  Time: 04:49 am

Author Topic: exhaust headers gasket  (Read 1032 times)

psyfi_1

• Weekend Warrior
  • bikes bikes bikes
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - main
    • View Profile
exhaust headers gasket
« on: 26 September 2018, 10:38:59 am »
Hi just change the exhuast gasket headers because they where old and crap... they new gaskets do they need time to bed in... as in do they mold to shape when hot (etc) is it if you feel some air leaking will it mold to fit the gap or are the gaskets not on propely everything is torqued down to it maximum newtons  but i can feel breath from cyclinder three
any advice would be aprecaited

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: exhaust headers gasket
« Reply #1 on: 26 September 2018, 11:09:44 am »
They can become a bit loose due to them being crush washers, and also because of the weight of the exhaust moving them about a bit.
I recently changed mine and put a smearing of gasket sealer around them as well, although it's not probably even needed.
Best thing to do is check the torque levels are correct every few days, for a couple of weeks, after riding then they'll eventually settle down.
« Last Edit: 26 September 2018, 11:45:15 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

psyfi_1

• Weekend Warrior
  • bikes bikes bikes
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - main
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 September 2018, 11:12:14 am »
cheers mate i will keep an eye out on them to make sure

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2018, 11:22:06 am »

Are you sure previous gaskets were removed and the mating surface at the cylinder head was clean?
A dab of grease is useful for keeping the new gaskets in place while you wriggle the new downpipes into position.
What make are the downpipes? A lot of people have had issues with the fit of Delkevik pipes in the past. Tightening up the nuts at the top end first should pull the pipes into the correct position (support the weight at the far end of the collector while you do this). If the bracket at the bottom doesn’t line up neatly with the fixing hole on the footpeg bracket it’ll put a lot of strain on the header which can result in leaks, particularly if the footpeg bolt is tightened up before the header clamps.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2018, 11:47:44 am »

Are you sure previous gaskets were removed and the mating surface at the cylinder head was clean?
A dab of grease is useful for keeping the new gaskets in place while you wriggle the new downpipes into position.
What make are the downpipes? A lot of people have had issues with the fit of Delkevik pipes in the past. Tightening up the nuts at the top end first should pull the pipes into the correct position (support the weight at the far end of the collector while you do this). If the bracket at the bottom doesn’t line up neatly with the fixing hole on the footpeg bracket it’ll put a lot of strain on the header which can result in leaks, particularly if the footpeg bolt is tightened up before the header clamps.

That's a valid point, when I got my bike and first changed the gaskets there were two sets in there causing an air leak.
The fact they're a bit of a bugger to get out is probably why the previous owner didn't try harder to remove them.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

psyfi_1

• Weekend Warrior
  • bikes bikes bikes
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - main
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 September 2018, 12:02:58 pm »
okay i noticed when putting them on the seemed to be a pipe seal a flanged wasker type thing that fit inside the pipe and pressed against the gasket thses where fucked and cheap so i dont think they came with the bike so i am hoping these arnt needed again but i will se how they look after a few rides

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 September 2018, 12:58:38 pm »
Which gaskets have you got? There are fibre ones and copper ones. The fibre ones seem to require less torque to seal. The copper ones really do distort to seal, but you need to make sure they are a good fit in the bore or lined up. I stuck them in place with copper slip so I can get the exhaust on.
Make sure you stick to the apecified torques on the studs.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: 26 September 2018, 01:58:03 pm »
a flanged wasker type thing that fit inside the pipe and pressed against the gasket

Sounds like someone left some old gaskets in there.

The correct assembly is just a single gasket between the cylinder head and the downpipe.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

psyfi_1

• Weekend Warrior
  • bikes bikes bikes
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - main
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 September 2018, 05:01:08 pm »
well the gaskets are not the copper ones its just a aluminuim case with a orange fiber or silcone type seal..... i have to admit i have probably over tightened them so i will get out on them tommorow and make sure everything is correct

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: 27 September 2018, 08:18:14 am »
They are "use once" gaskets so if you take them out you may not get a good seal again.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again