Date: 19-04-24  Time: 00:23 am

Author Topic: Flat Battery Puzzle  (Read 1083 times)

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Flat Battery Puzzle
« on: 25 September 2018, 06:34:30 am »

Saturday morning about 4am, finished work , onto bike , flat battery. So bump start. Took a couple of attempts but she started. Then two miles in journey , she just died slowly and wouldn't start . So call out and lift home. Took battery of and straight on charger with it.
Later on Saturday , checked as much of wiring as I could , didn't find anything, so battery back on,,,, and started. Charging ok, up to 14v on quick blip of throttle. Let her run and played with wiring to see if any change in meter readings. No change. Took her for short run , still no change.
So Sunday, checked battery to see if there had been any drop overnight, none , still reading 12.8v. Started and still charging ok. So off for a run, with everything on, Lights including spots, heated grips. She ran as usual and when I stopped was reading at just over 13v.
So Monday. Off to work, night driver. She sits out all night. And still charged.
My first thought was stator gone, the way she died on Saturday, but has been charging ok since that.
Any thoughts welcome as RAC might charge me if it happens again. OH might not get back on here for few days due to work.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: Flat Battery Puzzle
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2018, 06:39:58 am »
How old is the battery ?
One, is never going to be enough.....

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2018, 07:56:35 am »
A mystery indeed! Was the bike wet due to rain or washing on Friday or Saturday? Could be the regulator playing silly buggers, worth a check.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 September 2018, 09:52:56 am »
Bad terminal connection first time out? Now resolved by taking the battery off and putting it back on? Sometimes the answers are the simplest

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 September 2018, 01:23:20 pm »

Thanks for replies. First time ive posted.
Not too sure on age of battery , but had bike about 2 years now. And once again shes been out all night and still sitting at 12.8v. Shes out in all weathers , but I do use cover when parked at work.
It was weired the way she died after bump start. Its seemed like a quick discharge as by time RAC showed up, even hazards were struggling.
Well off to work and see how she goes today.

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 September 2018, 08:35:14 pm »
Well that's a week over and still got a full charge on battery. Shes been out in the rain and low over night temperatures and the battery didn't loose any charge. So, totally baffled as to why it went flat last week. :rolleyes

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 September 2018, 09:34:49 pm »
does it have parking lights? or any after market accessories that you might have left on? did you do a current draw test?

acid drop

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Yamaha MT-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2018, 07:45:28 am »
have you checked connections on the regulator / rectifier this is a multi plug connection and could be making a bad connections sometimes

TOM VR46

• DAS Born Again
  • NEW TO FAZER FORUM
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 October 2018, 08:22:48 pm »
Thanks again for replies. The connections from regulator and stator were first one I checked as stator went before. So far its still holding charge at 12.8v, so haven't done a draw test. But on the aftermarket parts I put on a couple of spots after reading a couple of posts on here, and theres an inline fuse with a soldered joint to which the heat shrink was not quit on the join. I cant say for certain if this has came into contact with the frame but so far is the only thing that I have found. Fingers crossed that's what caused the problem.