General > General

sat navs

(1/6) > >>

red98:
Fitted my " tomtom start 20" to the mighty thou this morning , fitted a usb port to the top yoke , live when iginition is on so no chance of a flat battery , used a handle bar mount with quick release , takes seconds to mount and dismount , went for a test ride this afternoon and it works well , bit hard to see the screen when the suns on your back but not too bad....

Got me thinking what other foccers are using.....

BBROWN1664:
A paper map in the topbox for when I get really lost or a quick check of google maps when i stop for a cigarette

Hedgetrimmer:
I don't use it most of the time, but it is useful for finding hotels when touring, navigating through an unfamiliar town to a particular destination.
I've got a Garmin something-or-other, which works well enough. But on my last two Europe tours, I took Michelin maps too, as I find them better for planning a ride. Then plug the route in the sat nav. But sometimes when touring, it's better to just get lost and see where you end up. Then the sat nav is handy for getting back 'home'.

robbo:
Pretty much what Hedgetrimmer said, although for hotels, read campsites. I have a Garmin 395, which has the option of selecting curvy/meandering routes for when time is not a factor, and as already said, by making your base "home", you can deliberately get "lost". Having a digital speed readout is quite useful too.
I found that mounting it in such a way that it's easy to glance at but still protected by the screen, to be a bit trial and error.

Grahamm:
I'm still using the venerable TomTom Rider V2.

The charging cradle gave up the ghost ages ago, so I got a 12v to 5v converter, a plug that connects it to the Optimate lead on the battery and soldered a jack plug on the other end so it charges as I ride.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version