Date: 28-03-24  Time: 17:44 pm

Author Topic: Carb Rubbers  (Read 1321 times)

Pelly

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Carb Rubbers
« on: 16 September 2018, 07:27:35 pm »
Hi all new around here just got a  fzs 600 changed plugs air filter etc. A job I need to do is change the carb to head rubbers I am no mechanic. Would I be taking on to much to attempt it. Existing ones are badly cracked and need replacing.

deeteefifty

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Carb Rubbers
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2018, 07:30:27 pm »
Are they cracked right through, is the engine running OK?

Pelly

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2018, 09:30:03 pm »
The idle is rough but the bike has done 52 thousand miles. Can't really get to see 2 and 3 but 1 and 4 are badly cracked. I have sprayed wd40 on them and the revs did not change so perhaps not gone all the way through. I have purchased 4 of the bay of fleas as the ones on the bike just look crap
« Last Edit: 16 September 2018, 10:30:53 pm by Pelly »

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2018, 10:07:10 pm »
The carbs might need a balance or clean and balance. When did you last service the bike? If it's been a good while since you serviced it doing all the usual basic service stuff would also probably help. Like spark plugs/ NGK caps/ trim the spark plug leads/ air filter/ oil and oil filter.

deeteefifty

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2018, 10:22:35 pm »
You'll manage, soak carb jubilee screws in advance. Seat, tank off. Disconnect battery, remove 2 bolts from coil / fuel pump fixing bar, remove airbox rubber cover, loosen carb jubilee clamps, 3 airbox bolts and slide it back. Pull carbs back pulling the right hand side up and out. Avoid removing throttle cables from carbs, they're twats to get back on. See if the air filters OK.

Pelly

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2018, 10:34:57 pm »
You'll manage, soak carb jubilee screws in advance. Seat, tank off. Disconnect battery, remove 2 bolts from coil / fuel pump fixing bar, remove airbox rubber cover, loosen carb jubilee clamps, 3 airbox bolts and slide it back. Pull carbs back pulling the right hand side up and out. Avoid removing throttle cables from carbs, they're twats to get back on. See if the air filters OK.
Yes I think your right i will do it but not just yet enjoy the weekend's just riding it first

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 September 2018, 11:09:07 pm »
I would say that 90% have cracked rubbers (me incl ) and 90% of them have no problems (me incl)
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

adasilva

• DAS Born Again
  • LIBERTAS QUÆ SERA TAMEN
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Fazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2018, 03:22:28 pm »
Hey there.
If you not have done so and they are not totally splitted, I would not do. I did mine and it was just small cracked when i took it off the crack was only on the outside rubber and there is a hard tube inside not sure what is made off but all of them were just fine. I replaced though since i had got the rubbers anyway

Taking them off is not a big job. I never done that before and just got loads of info on the net. There is one of my posts which i have some links on how to do so. Is for FZS 1000 but basic is the same principals and even easier to do.

Note: if you doing you don't need to flush your rads. Unless if you intend to do so. Just clamp the hose that goes to the carb.
Hope you get that sorted.

cheers.