Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > FZS600 Fazer

Whizzing Sound Coming From Engine

(1/7) > >>

Grant1Shepherd:
Hi guys and girls

Recently when I start up my bike she's been making this really noticeable whizzing sound from the engine while she is cold, as she warms up it progressively gets quieter, I'm not saying its louder than the exhaust or anything but while it is sitting there warming up I can definitely hear it and I haven't heard at all in the over 2 years I've owned her.

It almost sounds like a chain going round like the normal chain near the back wheel except for in the engine, I don't really know an awful lot about bikes so I have not even a clue for what it could be.

The reason I'm posting about it now is because tonight while I was riding around I started to hear it when accelerating, this time it was even louder than when the bike is just sat there warming up except for this was after 20 minutes of riding so she was definitely warm by this point.

She is a 2001 FZS600 with over 43k miles, she has never had any work done to the engine as far as I'm aware of (except regular oil and filter changes of course), only thing I've ever done even near that area is replace the carbs after my old ones started leaking fuel, however this work was carried out over a year ago.

Hope someone can tell me what it could be and if it is something to be worried about or if I'm just being stupid.

Thanks in advance guys.

deeteefifty:
Perhaps the cam chain is worn, my bike has similar mileage and a few weeks back I had the the carbs off and took the opportunity to remove the cam chain tensioner to get an idea of chain wear, there was 3 ratchet tooth segments of adjustment left on the tensioning rod, so it's time for a new one soon. I've read on here that the chain can become a bit noisy just before the tensioner automatically clicks up another tooth to retension the chain.

redmandan:
From what you describe I am almost certain it is the cam chain/cam chain tensioner. If the tensioner just needs to click one more notch down it's a very easy fix. If you need to replace the chain it's a bit more work. I did it this last spring and made a short video, you can hear whether your problem is the same as mine at the start of the vid.

there are some good, simple ways to get the tensioner to budge that require no tools. Let us know if you want to hear them

darrsi:
Wouldn't describe camchain rattle as a "whizzing" sound at all, best description is more like a sewing machine.

Either compare to some of these, or post a video with the noise, you'd be surprised what can be evaluated on here by the sound of a bike.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fzs+600+cam+chain+noise

fazersharp:
Out of all the noises reported on this forum over many years, grinding, buzing,rumbling,knocking, whirring, rattling, have to say that "whizzing" is a new one. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version