Date: 28-03-24  Time: 10:26 am

Author Topic: Ivan's Full Monty  (Read 3109 times)

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
Ivan's Full Monty
« on: 13 September 2018, 04:54:47 pm »
What are the best options these days for sourcing the kits and tools or even better anyone who does the work? Am I right in thinking that Mike, Falcon 269 no longer takes on the work? I'm sure I could do the mod myself and will if it's the only option but I'd really rather have someone more experienced do it incase I destroy something  :lol

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Ivan's Full Monty
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2018, 05:49:05 pm »
That's correct, Mike has "retired" from working his Ivanising magic. Maybe an excuse for a nice whizz down to Spain to pay him a visit  :) .
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2018, 05:56:53 pm »
So sad I missed his magic! I'm off to the Pyrenees next summer for some hopefully dry biking in the mountains, am I likely to be anywhere near him?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 September 2018, 06:28:20 pm »
Yep, over the Pyrenees and keep going south :lol . On a serious note, drop Mike a pm you never know he might be able to help you out. You'd have some great roads to give it some stick on the way home. Good luck, you won't be disappointed :thumbup .

Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

5LV

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 September 2018, 08:04:29 pm »
If you think you have the competence to do the work, then go for it. Hardest part of the job is getting the carbs back on!
Instructions are on pats pages and I'm sure Mike could be persuaded to offer some salient advice as well.
Apart from the drilling of the airholes, it is all straight forward.

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 September 2018, 06:37:12 am »
SSSssshh, I believe Mike and Ivan are the same person  ;) :evil

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 September 2018, 09:13:07 am »
I'm pretty sure I've got the competence just a little hesitant as I've not done a carb strip on anything more than a lawn mower or a two stroke! I've had the engine out of my old fazer 600 before and done Kebabs fork mod successfully so the carbs should be well within my comfort zone

One thing I remember about taking the engine out of the 600 was how much of a pain in the arse getting the carbs back on was, had to use a bloody ratchet strap to pull them on in the end. Strangely enough my other half actually likes when I bring the bike into the kitchen for major works, she's an odd one... Now that it seems I've got my winter job does anyone have suggestions as to where to buy the kit from?

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 September 2018, 11:09:37 am »
I believe that SG Motorsport are the sole supplier for the UK - https://www.sgmotorsport.biz/product/ivans-yamaha-fzs1000-fazer-jet-kit-2001-2002-2003-2004-2005/
I think they only advertise the slip-on kit and if you want the full monty kit you need to phone and request it.

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 September 2018, 06:50:55 pm »
I believe that SG Motorsport are the sole supplier for the UK - https://www.sgmotorsport.biz/product/ivans-yamaha-fzs1000-fazer-jet-kit-2001-2002-2003-2004-2005/
I think they only advertise the slip-on kit and if you want the full monty kit you need to phone and request it.

Thanks mate, been in touch with them about the mb kit and will be ordering it very soon! I've read through the how to's a number of times and I think I'm pretty clear on every aspect of the work other than the air box part. Was there a definitive explanation on this? The post I was reading seemed to have some confusion in it and I couldn't view the pics..

ram

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 September 2018, 10:03:28 pm »

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 September 2018, 10:42:11 pm »
That was the post I read before which left me a little confused, maybe it will be clearer once I'm looking at the thing...

One big thing that has come to my attention is whether the mb is the right kit? Does it need to be used with a full race exhaust system or is it still ok to use with a slip on can and a pipercross filter? No point making extra work for myself if I'm going to need to buy new exhaust headers as well

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 September 2018, 11:07:57 am »
As far as I'm aware very few people with the full monty kit and associated intake rubber and airbox mods have replacement headers, just less restrictive end cans and are more than happy with the end result. Whatever you do don't go looking for replacement headers and end up buying the sandyspares or whatever they are calling themselves these days.

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 September 2018, 11:47:10 am »
As far as I'm aware very few people with the full monty kit and associated intake rubber and airbox mods have replacement headers, just less restrictive end cans and are more than happy with the end result. Whatever you do don't go looking for replacement headers and end up buying the sandyspares or whatever they are calling themselves these days.

That's what I wanted to hear  :lol  in all honesty I'm not so fussed about more top end power as I am the claimed smoothness and power increase lower down as well as possibly better fuel economy when I'm not riding like a hooligan. Also if I'm going to have the bike in bits I might as well do the Full Monty and hopefully as my bikes been well kept the inlet rubbers will come off without drama

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 September 2018, 12:39:54 am »
Been away from my PC for the past 2 weeks so unable to post in response but all the info above is correct.  Happy to provide any additional advice should you need it. :)

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 September 2018, 06:37:51 am »
So, you and Ivan are the same person!!!

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 September 2018, 10:26:03 am »
As an option, I've just taken the Ivanised carbs off my bike, on offer £175 posted.

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 September 2018, 01:36:00 pm »
That's a very tempting offer, what age and mileage bike are the carbs off and who did the work?

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 September 2018, 02:41:46 pm »
Russ at Bolton Motorcycle Workshop did the work
Carbs were balanced within the last 1000 miles.

Bike was gen 1 07 reg less than 25000 on the clock.
The bike was only broken yesterday and only broken because I wasn't going to let a mint bike go for silly cheap money
It's In the for sale section pics are with it

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 September 2018, 03:37:16 pm »
Shame about that bike, as I said before if the timing was a bit different I probably would've had it as I bought a fazer just before for 2800 and so far have already spent a grand on bits... I've pm'd you by the way

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 September 2018, 03:52:25 pm »
Shame about that bike, as I said before if the timing was a bit different I probably would've had it as I bought a fazer just before for 2800 and so far have already spent a grand on bits... I've pm'd you by the way

At £3500 it was an absolute bargain, got fed up with people telling me it was only worth £3000 hence the breaking.
Anyway onwards n upwards.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 September 2018, 08:14:35 pm »
Installed my second Ivan's kit a few months back - not too much to fear, particularly with the excellent instructions online from Pat & Mike.
I have however come to a different conclusion than nearly everyone else - I think that if you're not after top-end kicks, Ivan's Slip-On kit is arguably better for legal(ish) road speeds.
Ivans graphs certainly show a considerable torque advantage between 2700-4000 revs for the slip-on kit, possibly more too if the graph curve started lower down the images.  True, it loses out to the Full Monty kit with the kick @ 6000-7500 rpm but by then you're already over the limit and entering warp drive speeds  :) Furthermore, being miserly I always get over 40mpg and didn't have to splash out for an aftermarket filter. Also, she still runs great when I fit the restrictive standard exhaust and I even ported my boots for more optimum mixture flow.

Then again, perhaps because both jet kits are the same price, people nearly always opt for more power.  But about 130 ponies with Ivan's Slip-on setup is enough for me  :o