Date: 29-03-24  Time: 06:05 am

Author Topic: Little too much oil?  (Read 3338 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Little too much oil?
« on: 04 September 2018, 10:52:06 am »
Just done another oil and filter change, I had a 4 litre bottle of oil but only managed to put about 2.7 litres in the first time round. Started her up for a few mins then let it settle and the oil was barely at the glass when level. So topped up with a bit more to make it half wayn took her out for a spin for 20 mins then came back and put her away.

This morning I've just been to check the level and its now pretty much touching the top of the glass when cold, I know it's a little fuller than normal but is that enough to be a problem or shall I drain a few ml?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Little too much oil?
« Reply #1 on: 04 September 2018, 11:11:34 am »
You should start the engine for a couple of minutes first, then switch off and let it settle, that's the level you measure at.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 September 2018, 11:59:55 am »
Souds ok to me, I found that after 1 day like you it gos up and it will even keep going up after a few days after standing. Let it settle for 1/2 hour and use that as your guide, if you try too hard to get a perfect level when you look/measure after 1 day you will start to get oil light flash on fast acceleration.   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 September 2018, 02:15:40 pm »
Thanks guys 👍

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 September 2018, 03:04:21 pm »
Souds ok to me, I found that after 1 day like you it gos up and it will even keep going up after a few days after standing. Let it settle for 1/2 hour and use that as your guide, if you try too hard to get a perfect level when you look/measure after 1 day you will start to get oil light flash on fast acceleration.

Erm, no, don't let it settle for half an hour, 'cos that would be wrong!
Do it the way I said above.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 September 2018, 03:59:19 pm »

Which was
You should start the engine for a couple of minutes first, then switch off and let it settle, that's the level you measure at.
You never actually stated a settling time.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 September 2018, 04:17:58 pm »
Settling time is a couple of minutes.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 September 2018, 04:37:01 pm »

Which was

Can you imagine taking your bike into a shop for an oil change and they charged you 30mins labour for waiting for it to settle?  :rollin

It will level out and settle in a couple of minutes tops.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 September 2018, 05:03:40 pm »

Which was

Can you imagine taking your bike into a shop for an oil change and they charged you 30mins labour for waiting for it to settle?  :rollin

Probably makes little difference 2 mins or 30 maybe you should of said 30mins was not necessary rather than plain wrong. But it will carry on draining down with the sight level going up for another 48 hours.Also when you tip in some extra oil its easy to over do it because even that takes time to fully get down. I find putting in an egg cup full at a time helps :D

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 September 2018, 07:00:21 pm »
Oil! what do you mean Oil no one mentioned that when I bought it, I though the oil I mixed in with the petrol at 50:1 did that.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 September 2018, 06:55:33 am »

Which was

Probably makes little difference 2 mins or 30 maybe you should of said 30mins was not necessary rather than plain wrong. But it will carry on draining down with the sight level going up for another 48 hours.Also when you tip in some extra oil its easy to over do it because even that takes time to fully get down. I find putting in an egg cup full at a time helps :D

As a betting man, i will very confidently bet with you that the oil level will rise quite a bit more after 30mins than it will after 2mins due to an old scientific thing called gravity.
If you were to wait 30mins to let the oil settle every time after starting the engine when trying to gauge the correct level, not only would you be there a very long time but it would still be under filled when you've finished, highly likely resulting in the oil light coming on when accelerating.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 September 2018, 04:33:25 pm »
what i meant by  little difference 2 mins or 30 is that most of the oil that is not down there will be down after a few mins so looking after 30 wont be that different to 2. i was rying to but at time on it as your original post only said a few mins, funny enough exactly the same as the manual. its easier to add an egg cup full if the light flickers on than it is to take some out.
i would say that the term- a few mins, is longer than 2 but shorter than 5 unless its mrs sharp getting ready and then i take a few to be 30

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 September 2018, 04:48:22 pm »
what i meant by  little difference 2 mins or 30 is that most of the oil that is not down there will be down after a few mins so looking after 30 wont be that different to 2. i was rying to but at time on it as your original post only said a few mins, funny enough exactly the same as the manual. its easier to add an egg cup full if the light flickers on than it is to take some out.
i would say that the term- a few mins, is longer than 2 but shorter than 5 unless its mrs sharp getting ready and then i take a few to be 30

That way of thinking i can totally understand  :lol

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 September 2018, 06:52:36 am »
Done an oil and filter change about 4 weeks ago, put in about 2.7 litres and never bothered to look at the little window because on my bike it looks like the bottom of a bottle of Newcastle brown ale regardless how much or how little oils in there.  :lol  If the red light comes on going uphill at WFO, I also put in an egg cup full, starting with a quails egg and rising to ostrich if needed.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 September 2018, 02:10:06 pm »
Done an oil and filter change about 4 weeks ago, put in about 2.7 litres and never bothered to look at the little window because on my bike it looks like the bottom of a bottle of Newcastle brown ale regardless how much or how little oils in there.  :lol  If the red light comes on going uphill at WFO, I also put in an egg cup full, starting with a quails egg and rising to ostrich if needed.

:agree
Same as, I just did mine, and put 2.8 litres in with a filter change.
My glass may as well be bricked up, can't see a thing through it. I won't need to touch the oil again until I change it in around another 4000 miles time.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29 October 2018, 12:50:30 pm »
Has anyone cleaned or changed their sight glass

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #16 on: 29 October 2018, 02:06:52 pm »

done properly, the bike will be warm before you start and the first thing they will do is drop the oil and filter followed by a refil. Run the bike for a couple of minutes while they check lights etc then engine off to check the air filter etc. By the time they have done that, the oils settled and service all done in under an hour.

FOC knows why they charge for so much labour when it doesn't take more than 1.5 hours including the test ride.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

the lodger

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 October 2018, 07:01:00 pm »
If you do overfill , you can easily remove some oil by using the top half of one of those trigger operated sprays which usually contain cleaning fluid and are to be found under the household  sink . Dip the pipe into the filler cap hole and squirt the oil via the nozzle into the container bottle.  Hope this makes sense. Works for me.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #18 on: 29 October 2018, 08:32:26 pm »
If you do overfill , you can easily remove some oil by using the top half of one of those trigger operated sprays which usually contain cleaning fluid and are to be found under the household  sink

That's a good idea, I'll have to remember it :thumbup

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 October 2018, 09:07:49 pm »
Or just let it out at the bolt end, as long as you're fortunate enough to have an oil window that can be viewed through.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 October 2018, 09:41:34 pm »
I have a selection of syringes, and pipes - great for this or small amounts of filler - silicone - whatever in to small spaces.Noooo stop making your own jokes.Undoing the bolt is messy- it is when I do it   

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 October 2018, 01:01:45 am »
'kin ell ! I thought for a bit you was going to go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about oil levels :rollin :lol
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 October 2018, 12:57:52 pm »
'kin ell ! I thought for a bit you was going to go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about oil levels :rollin :lol

You'd think it would be a simple thing, but I betcha there's still a lot of people who fill the oil up to the level without starting the engine and then reading the window, which would make it under filled.
All technical stuff.  :lol

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 October 2018, 01:51:27 pm »
I understood you had to take the bike OFF the centre stand, with it on its wheels only, to measure the oil level through the sight glass.
On it's centre stand (for us lucky Fazer owners) its tilted a little backward, on its back wheel.

the lodger

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 October 2018, 04:42:13 pm »
The Yamaha advice above says it should be on the centre stand......