Date: 26-04-24  Time: 11:49 am

Author Topic: Fan not working - wire in switch?  (Read 813 times)

kev250

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Fan not working - wire in switch?
« on: 01 September 2018, 07:06:13 pm »
Ok my fan has never worked and i have had it sitting at idle for long enough that it should be on. I am taking it to France in 2 weeks so should probably have it working.

I am going to test to see if the fan works tomorrow so firstly do i connect power directly to the fan or another connection.
Can someone explain how i can wire in a switch. Will i need to solder or can i just crimp etc.
From what i have been told, there is a fan connection under the tank that i can run a wire from to the battery.
Not a lot of experience with wiring  :)  Thanks

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Fan not working - wire in switch?
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2018, 07:50:19 pm »
If your cooling system is all clear and air tight it's very rare for the the fans to come on unless it's in extreme heat or you have a leak somewhere on these bikes.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2018, 08:32:44 pm »
Have a look at the wiring diagram at the end of this manual http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=8
You can see the fan motor (No.46) gets 12V when the thermo switch (No. 47) closes. It closes when the coolant gets too hot. If you bypass the thermo switch by connecting a bit of wire into the back of the connector going to the thermo switch the fan should come on. If it doesn't come on check the fan fuse (No.48). The thermo switch is screwed into the thermostat housing so to get to it take off your seat and tilt up the tank. You will see two wires connected to the thermostat housing. Connect in your wire to the back of that connector and the fan will come on. But as darssi said the fan hardly ever comes on so your bike is probably fine.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2018, 10:57:35 pm »
In the past 5 years my bike hasn’t overheated once despite having to negotiate London traffic jams on numerous hot days. The fan has been hanging on my garage wall all that time.

deeteefifty

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2018, 08:10:55 am »
Guffaw😀

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2018, 11:09:10 am »
Have a search on the forum and you will see that just about everyone will say the same -- the fan very rarely will come on, I tried to get it to kick in once when changing coolant and after 10 mins ticking over I gave up.Must be that the faux cooling fins are not so faux after all   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2018, 01:24:26 pm »
Before i noticed a leaking water pump the other day the fan on my bike came on after about 5mins of ticking over, and apart from making me jump i knew straight away there must be a problem.  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.