Date: 20-04-24  Time: 16:07 pm

Author Topic: roadside puncture repair  (Read 3166 times)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
roadside puncture repair
« on: 01 September 2018, 09:43:47 am »
Ive been lucky with punctures but this week I managed to pick up an inch woodscrew in the rear tyre , left it in an rode home 25 ish miles , just about got home with 12 psi left........got up early this morning and thought I would have a go at repairing it with one of the two ŕoad side repair kits I have ,  one a crafty pluggef and the other a FOWLERS version of the same thing , used the fowlers one following the inst
ructions and in about 10 minutes the jobs done , didnt use the air canisters , I'll save them if I ever get stuck in the middld of  nowhere , I recently bought a SLIME compressor to use with the repair kits , connects to the bikes battery and easily pumps the tyre up to recòmended pressure , just a shame both items dont fit under the seat....I'll let the pictures do the talking but happy to answer any questions......well it is FOCU     ;)
« Last Edit: 01 September 2018, 10:10:33 am by red98 »
One, is never going to be enough.....

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: roadside puncture repair
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2018, 09:47:44 am »

Northern Biker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2018, 10:27:57 am »
I have the same kit as the Fowlers one but without the air canisters. Never had to use it yet, touch wood, but it doesn't fit under my seat anyway!
I've been thinking of getting the Dynaplug kit, nice and compact.
Glad it worked, be good to know if the bike feels any different with the plug in the tyre.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2018, 10:34:02 am »
a crafty pluggef

I take it the spelling mistake was deliberate so you didn't invoke the return of Exupnut?  :lol

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2018, 11:26:55 am »
Ah yes....old EXUPNUT....he did like a crafty plugger      :lol

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #5 on: 01 September 2018, 11:42:20 am »
Good to see you got it fixed, but I'd recommend going to see Russ at Russ' Tyres in Burrfields, Portsmouth to get him to check the inside of the tyre, because you never know what damage may have been done to the inside of the carcass.

BTW a group of us from the Solent IAM group went up there a few months back and spent an entertaining few hours making holes in tyres and then trying out various puncture repair kits to see which worked best and the Crafty Plugger did seem the most effective.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2018, 11:49:59 am »
Hi graham , yes indeed , all of these roadside repairs are only designed to get you home with plenty of warnings on the packaging
its holding pressure well so going to take the old girl out for a test ride , will report back shortly.....

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 September 2018, 12:27:21 pm »
Strangely I've just watched Delboy's garage doing a repair with what looks like your Fowlers type.   

What a faff!!!  the time it took him with using an auger and applying the resin stuff  I opened the crafty plugger pack inserted the 'plug' (no auger required) twist and pulled, put kit away and halfway home; hardly any air was lost either.

Also by the fact dels one had no twisting of the truss needle I can see why they are classed as temporary fixes

Crafty plugger for me everytime :)
« Last Edit: 01 September 2018, 12:29:26 pm by midden »
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 September 2018, 04:06:18 pm »
I’ve had a couple of different kits on cars and bikes. Temporary repairs that turned into longer term, not so worried on the car but was a bit nervous about the bike for a while. The tyre was nearly worn out anyway so changed after 500 miles or so for new. It never went down. Car repair did a few thousand before renewal of tyre 😀

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 September 2018, 06:29:02 pm »
Had a little bimble up to ace cafe for the vintage Japanese bike meet , tyres held pressure over night and no difference to the waythe bike rides / handles , about 40 miles or so , repair is still standing slightly proud but its working    :thumbup
« Last Edit: 02 September 2018, 06:29:49 pm by red98 »

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 September 2018, 06:35:15 pm »
Well thats all good , but how good are the air canisters  ?  My kit is probably 3 /4 years old , do they have a shelf life ?  would I need all three to get enough pressure in the tyre to get home ?    Anyone used them before ?

questions, questions, questions.....whos got the answers  ?

Northern Biker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 September 2018, 09:15:39 pm »
I was speaking to a guy at my local bike meet today who said he used the plug type repair same as these, the repair bit was ever so slightly proud of the tyre for a few days after the fix. He set off from the lights one time a bit spirited like and it ripped the repair out of the tyre. I guess they are only supposed to be a temporary fix like, but I thought I'd mention it as something to bear in mind.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 September 2018, 09:37:23 pm »
Well thats all good , but how good are the air canisters  ?  My kit is probably 3 /4 years old , do they have a shelf life ?  would I need all three to get enough pressure in the tyre to get home ?    Anyone used them before ?

questions, questions, questions.....whos got the answers  ?
Me too. I have a kit under my seat with canisters - time fly s l bet if I got hold of the receipt from Hein Gerick it would be 8 years old 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 September 2018, 10:12:38 pm »
I can't see why a canister would have a shelf life?.. But i personally have never liked them. If they are small canisters you can lose a lot of air, if you have a leak attaching them to the valve.. and be careful you don't freeze it to your hand and burn the skin off (as I watched a mate do a few years ago)

I have one off these. It's great and compact and I use it all the time!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Inflator-Compact-Lightweight-Travel/dp/B00HWMPK6S/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1535922536&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=aa+compressor

Brett
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #14 on: 03 September 2018, 01:02:29 am »
Well thats all good , but how good are the air canisters  ?  My kit is probably 3 /4 years old , do they have a shelf life ?  would I need all three to get enough pressure in the tyre to get home ?   

No, they don't have a shelf life.

Three will give you enough pressure to get you to a garage with an air pump, but I wouldn't go over 50mph and I wouldn't rely on them for long distances.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09 September 2018, 08:59:30 pm »
Here is mine that I keep under my seat but as I said it may even be 10 years old brought from hein gerrik- hopefully the gas will still be ok. You even get a cute little piece of metal to use as a knife to cut the excess off. That is really good advice about the canisters freezing.
« Last Edit: 09 September 2018, 09:00:58 pm by fazersharp »

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 September 2018, 11:24:41 pm »
Ive been lucky with punctures but this week I managed to pick up an inch woodscrew in the rear tyre , left it in an rode home 25 ish miles , just about got home with 12 psi left........got up early this morning and thought I would have a go at repairing it with one of the two ŕoad side repair kits I have ,  one a crafty pluggef and the other a FOWLERS version of the same thing , used the fowlers one following the inst
ructions and in about 10 minutes the jobs done , didnt use the air canisters , I'll save them if I ever get stuck in the middld of  nowhere , I recently bought a SLIME compressor to use with the repair kits , connects to the bikes battery and easily pumps the tyre up to recòmended pressure , just a shame both items dont fit under the seat....I'll let the pictures do the talking but happy to answer any questions......well it is FOCU     ;)

I have asked before but couldn't understand the procedure,how do you put these photos on ?
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 September 2018, 10:18:47 am »

I have asked before but couldn't understand the procedure,how do you put these photos on ?
When you post on a pc there is a section underneath the writing box that says Additional Options, click that and it opens to Attach where you can browse your image files. It may be different if using a phone.There is another way by using the add media button -Aeva Media

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 September 2018, 10:54:37 am »
I post pictures with my phone , same method as described by mr sharpie , think its the easiest way with the phone or where your posting from the device storing you puctures , no othrt party involved   :thumbup

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 September 2018, 11:10:48 am »
Thanks for yesterdays info re:posting photos Mr.Red. Tried it on the laboratory section and worked a treat. Thanks again :thumbup
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 September 2018, 11:31:53 pm »
I am now going to try it      watch this balls up

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 September 2018, 11:43:46 pm »
just trying to post a picture of my bike

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 September 2018, 11:49:33 pm »
I wasn't writing anything in the space :fish

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #23 on: 11 September 2018, 05:48:59 am »
I was speaking to a guy at my local bike meet today who said he used the plug type repair same as these, the repair bit was ever so slightly proud of the tyre for a few days after the fix. He set off from the lights one time a bit spirited like and it ripped the repair out of the tyre. I guess they are only supposed to be a temporary fix like, but I thought I'd mention it as something to bear in mind.
They are - "mushroom" type patches, put on the inside of the tyre are safer. This is a "limp to a vulcanizer shop" solution IMO.
I also carry a similar kit with the tools, patches, glue, CO2 cartridges, but use a hand pump - like a real man!   :rollin
Did anyone mention carrying a spare valve? I think it's not a bad idea.

« Last Edit: 11 September 2018, 05:49:45 am by Slaninar »
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11 September 2018, 06:39:13 am »
I wasn't writing anything in the space :fish

A full stop will do, if you just want to post a picture.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.