Date: 20-04-24  Time: 00:39 am

Author Topic: New brake pads.  (Read 812 times)

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
New brake pads.
« on: 31 August 2018, 12:06:53 pm »
Had to fit a new set of EBC HH pads. Mechanic found one side of front was all most down to the limit,  but other side seemed ok ??Easy fit and did not take long. Been out and gently been using the brakes. The pads seem to be binding on the discs  and when you push the bike about my drive I can feel the resistance. Is this normal? Will it settle in with use, or have I fitted them wrong?

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: New brake pads.
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2018, 12:29:13 pm »
Partially seized caliper pistons would be the likely cause. Remove the pads again and gently pump out the pistons without going so far as to pop them completely. You should be able to push them back without using excessive force. If you can’t you may get away with cleaning them and lightly lubricating with red rubber grease, repeating the pump out and push in process.

Failing that it might need the pistons to be removed completely and clean the bores. In my experience of bikes in general it is corrosion behind the dust seal. You may get away with reusing the seals or might need new. Clearly this will mean brake fluid needs to be changed and system bled.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2018, 03:26:39 pm »
Also sintered pads are known to make noise as you manually move you bike around. If it's your first set then it could be that you feeling/hearing? When I first switched to them I actually took my bike to mechanic.... after stripping and rebuilding the complete set of calipers 3 times.... Just for him to tell me it was normal and I'd done it right first time 😅

But wise to do as trebus has mentioned as it's just good maintenance regardless.

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2018, 03:59:12 pm »
My mechanic cleaned and checked the brakes when he changed my chain, that is how he found the wear on the pads, ( I checked them 2000 miles before and they had plenty left)When I put in the new pads had to push back the pistons to get the new pads in and they moved ok and no problem.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2018, 05:22:36 pm »
Doesn’t sound too much wrong then. If the pistons move and the pins are corrosion free with some light copper slip applied should be fine. They’ll take a little while to bed in though.