Date: 28-03-24  Time: 09:01 am

Author Topic: Koso multi-guage problems....  (Read 702 times)

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
  • www.thesundogs.uk Rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • The Sundogs - rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots!
Koso multi-guage problems....
« on: 30 August 2018, 07:56:19 pm »
Any of you use a multi-guage?
Mine has less wires than the OEM dashboard has....notably there is nothing to connect the wire from the fan to that used to connect to the dash PCB.
My fan will not work now. I've checked he fan & relay & they're fine.
Connecting that wire straight to live clicks the relay but doesn't start the fan.

Any experience to share?

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
Re: Koso multi-guage problems....
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2018, 07:05:55 am »
That's why I don't attempt these upgrades, sounds like you need to run another wire. I cant help with where from or where to though, sorry.

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
  • www.thesundogs.uk Rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • The Sundogs - rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots!
Re: Koso multi-guage problems....
« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2018, 10:10:41 pm »
Phew, got it worked out in the end!
These Koso units have a temp. thermostat & a read out on the dash....the OEM unit is a variable resistance TU & the OEM dash has lots of circuitry on the PCB with microprocessors & surface mounted components, etc......a complicated way of controlling the fan, inc. the neutral scenario.

I've got round it by putting the Koso thermostat in place of the OEM TU (same thread) so I have the Koso's temp. display function.

I have added a 68/82 on/off thermostatic switch in the plumbing, using the green-black wire from the fan relay - instead of that wire going to the OEM dash PCB, it now runs to earth via the new thermo. switch.

I will have lost the function of the fan coming on after a few mins. in neutral - but as that seems to be in place because Yamaha felt the fan blades just may get overly hot from the fan's proximity to the headers, I think I can live without that function. The fan will of course come on if the temp. rises from sitting at traffic lights, etc. anyway.

Just as a safety measure, I also added a manual override fan switch & a "fan on" light, fitted into the left fairing infill panel.