Date: 19-04-24  Time: 05:36 am

Author Topic: Swap To Hazard Light Switch?  (Read 2221 times)

Northern Biker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Swap To Hazard Light Switch?
« on: 30 August 2018, 07:36:34 pm »
Hi all, just wondering if I can swap to a new LH switch gear on my '99 Fazer so it has hazard lights?
Is the wiring/plugs the same between the two switches? Would I need to add any extras such as a different flasher relay etc?
Looking at photos between the two I can see that one of the plugs is a different colour but I'm unsure if they are interchangeable between years.
Anyone else done this?
Thanks in advance.
 :)

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Swap To Hazard Light Switch?
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2018, 10:34:36 pm »
Not sure it's really worth the hassle unless your planning on breaking down a lot. Smile

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2018, 06:34:40 am »
Not sure it's really worth the hassle unless your planning on breaking down a lot. Smile

I use mine quite often if i see a mate then pull over to have a quick chat, rather than get off the bike, even more so at night time.
They are handy to have rather than not, and as they're there i do make use of them.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2018, 07:45:26 am »

I use mine quite often if i see a mate then pull over to have a quick chat, rather than get off the bike, even more so at night time.
They are handy to have rather than not, and as they're there i do make use of them.

stop
Keep a eye out for the Plod darrsi.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2018, 10:08:08 am »
You see Bikes using their hazards too when filtering through traffic.

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2018, 10:24:42 am »
Yeah, it's  a traffic offence to use your hazards lights while moving but fine if stationery if warning other road users. Smile

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2018, 10:44:37 am »

stop
Keep a eye out for the Plod darrsi.

Why?
They're a warning light that i'm there, no harm done?

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2018, 11:31:10 am »

O

Ok darrsi, only mentioned it as you said(I use mine quite often if i see a mate then pull over to have a quick chat) ? ;)

Any way. The Highway Code says: Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. Never use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking. You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed.

« Last Edit: 31 August 2018, 11:39:14 am by bandit »

Northern Biker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2018, 02:04:00 pm »

Not really if I can help it  :lol
It's just something I'd like to add to the bike if it's possible, where there's a will there's a way an' all that  :)

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2018, 03:38:01 pm »
Hmm, I didn't realise it was an offence to use them when moving. I use my hazards when driving all the time, usually to thank people that let me into merging traffic.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 August 2018, 04:14:22 pm »
Hmm, I didn't realise it was an offence to use them when moving. I use my hazards when driving all the time, usually to thank people that let me into merging traffic.

I also us to use them when driving H.G.V after being flashed clear to pull in front after overtake, but just make sure the light on the hazard button only flashes once. You could also use the left then right indicator flashing only once, both these methods are used in the trade.   

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 August 2018, 04:19:32 pm »

We all like a add on, let use know how you get on.
« Last Edit: 31 August 2018, 04:28:32 pm by bandit »

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 August 2018, 06:13:58 pm »
I see bikers using hazards while filtering. I think it's a bit pointless cos if Mr/Mrs car driver hasn't seen you already then the hazard lights aren't going to do any good.

I had them on my FJR1300 and I think I used them once. I didn't use them on my V-Strom and after a year of owning the Fazer I only switched them on to see if they worked.

There are situations where using hazard lights can cause confusion but to be honest most people use them in all the wrong situations, the cops aren't going to do you for it. At most I think you would get a slap on the wrist - you're more likely to get a parking ticket for parking on double yellows with your hazards on because you're on double yellows, not because your hazards are on.

As for HGV drivers... A couple of flashes of the hazards or a right,left,right,left is good. One single flash seems a bit impolite. Also when flashing HGV's in, make sure it's a good long flash or preferably a short flash followed by a longer flash - too many drivers now give such a short flash you don't see it, they seem to be afraid of doing it properly.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 August 2018, 06:38:28 pm »
Also when flashing HGV's in, make sure it's a good long flash or preferably a short flash followed by a longer flash
If I am flashing a HGV its more likely to be a long flash followed by a short flash and two long flashes then a short flash and a long flash and finally another long flash.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 August 2018, 06:55:26 pm »

Exactly, i’d rather have them than not.
Nobody plans on breaking down anyway, so you just don’t know how useful they could be if it happens, especially at night or in fog for example.

Northern Biker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 31 August 2018, 07:03:45 pm »

Will do, just ordered a switch with the hazard so i'll update how I get on.

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 September 2018, 03:20:44 pm »
I did the swap for the later model switchgear to get the hazards when I was teaching people to ride bikes as it was occasionally useful if the stalled and stuck in wrong gear and take a while to get them sorted out.

It was a straight swap, I don't think I had to change the relay but it was so long ago I can't be sure, the relay should say on it if it is ok for 4 X 21w bulbs.  Later models have the  hazards linked to the parking light position on the ignition switch which you don't get if you just swap the switchgear but not really a problem.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 September 2018, 09:22:47 pm »
Also when flashing HGV's in, make sure it's a good long flash or preferably a short flash followed by a longer flash
If I am flashing a HGV its more likely to be a long flash followed by a short flash and two long flashes then a short flash and a long flash and finally another long flash.
Right as no one has spotted it it I will give you a clue - its Morse code

likely to be a long flash
followed by a short flash and two long flashes
then a short flash and a long flash
and finally another long flash.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 September 2018, 10:09:24 pm »
Right as no one has spotted it it I will give you a clue - its Morse code

likely to be a long flash
followed by a short flash and two long flashes
then a short flash and a long flash
and finally another long flash.

I did spot it  :lol

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 September 2018, 10:10:23 pm »
I had worked that out but didn't want to call you a twat either.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 September 2018, 10:13:06 pm »
It means "Help me, it's raining"  :rollin

Northern Biker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 September 2018, 11:56:52 pm »
I did the swap for the later model switchgear to get the hazards when I was teaching people to ride bikes as it was occasionally useful if the stalled and stuck in wrong gear and take a while to get them sorted out.

It was a straight swap, I don't think I had to change the relay but it was so long ago I can't be sure, the relay should say on it if it is ok for 4 X 21w bulbs.  Later models have the  hazards linked to the parking light position on the ignition switch which you don't get if you just swap the switchgear but not really a problem.

Thanks Jules  :)