Date: 28-03-24  Time: 18:05 pm

Author Topic: Coolant dripping  (Read 1663 times)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Coolant dripping
« on: 21 August 2018, 07:24:33 pm »
Arrived home this evening to find coolant driping from the left side of the 1000  :grumble :'( Looks like the bypass hose, remembered seeing an nick in it when changing the chain 25000km ago. May have been pinched by the sprocket cover or damaged when the chain broke before I bought it.   All bikes off the road now, front end off the 600 to replace fork seal and head race bearing and swinging arm off the serow to have it painted  :'( :'( All is not lost my son is not using his fazer this week or next :woot

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Coolant dripping
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2018, 09:18:11 pm »
Little update, the the main return coolant pipe to the pump has split at the end of the protective covering on the pump side of the Alternator. I did notice it had gone very soft in comparsion with the section near the rad. I checked the bypass hose and it was also very soft near the pump. Ordered both to be safe, but it is going to take about  8 working days to get them as they were  not in stock. :'( :'( Will post a picture of the offending item when I remove it, never had anything like this happen on any of my bikes. I have seen it in one of my cars years ago.
Went to fit the head race bearings on the 600 only to realise the shop had given the wrong seal with the bottom yolk bearing and have to wait until Friday before that arrives  :'( :'( Foc, never rains but it pours.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2018, 10:40:53 am »
The offending Pipe,  new one due Tuesday. Still baffled as to how it happened
It is cracked right at the edge of the protective rubber covering, rolled cover back to show it in the pics.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2018, 04:06:54 pm »
No need to be baffled. It's a pipe, they don't last forever. Splits can happen for no apparent reason.
At least you've found it before it got really bad.

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2018, 05:54:38 pm »
at least its only a hose, last time I had fluid dripping off my engine, it was water from the water pump dripping out the bottom of the engine, that was a night mare, water pump out etc...

can you use anything to re-seal hoses like that, while its off, i.e. melt the bit where the split is etc....might be stupid question but then I am no expert...

:b

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2018, 07:44:44 pm »
No. You can chop a bit off if there is going to be enough left. Any repairs would soon leak.
For a small bit of pipe like that it isn't going to be very expensive to replace.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2018, 11:06:09 pm »
No need to be baffled. It's a pipe, they don't last forever. Splits can happen for no apparent reason.
At least you've found it before it got really bad.
Yes I agree splits can happen any time, but considering it only has 45000 miles on it, I am a bit baffled. :eek Any failures I have seen in hoses were in excess of 100000 milesThere is no strain in the area, the pipe it connects to is about an inch away from the split so not edges near it.The only thing in that effects the area is grease/oil from the chain seeps on to it, but I have never seen a hose crack from grease/oil on them regularly.

The Yamaha hose was £50 incl postage, which was not to bad for a OEM part I suppose.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 August 2018, 05:55:35 am »
I would have gone to a car parts supplier or a hydraulic hose supplier with the bit of pipe in hand and ask if they can find something similar or better. Wouldn't cost anywhere near £50.

It's probably more about age and not mileage. 45,000 is still a fair amount anyway. Yeah my bike has done over 70,000 and hoses haven't been a problem but you're gonna get something fail every now and then. If it were a fairly new bike I would be concerned but after 45,000 miles I would just sigh/swear a lot/throw spanners around the garage before buying a new one.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 September 2018, 10:26:42 pm »
Though about going the Motor Factors route, but in the end bought the genuine item. The 600 is older and has over 90,000miles with out any hose issues yet.

New hoses now fitted and fresh coolant added. Thankfully I only lost less than half a litre of coolant which was not enough to cause engine issues. Drained 1.8 litres from it and had to add  2.2 litres.

All sounds good, will have to take it for a good run tomorrow  :)