Date: 19-04-24  Time: 08:54 am

Author Topic: Thundercat  (Read 807 times)

redfox1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Thundercat
« on: 19 August 2018, 08:47:45 pm »
Had my Foxeye for 4 years now,and it's been great.However, I'm thinking of swapping it for a Thundercat.Does anyone think I shouldn't,and why?

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Thundercat
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2018, 11:15:30 pm »
A Thundercat is an awesome bike. I sold mine to buy my Fz1 but purely because I wanted something newer and with a bigger engine.
They are very large for a 600 which I found to be a good thing, plenty of wind protection and not too much of a severe seating position, the clip ons are above the top yoke so your only lent forward slightly (compared to modern sport bikes anyway)
The power is all there if you want to play, 100bhp when new and i can personally asure you they do over 140mph (if thats you thing)
Under seat storage is decent, pillion carrying is alright providing you have a sorted shock.

Only downside to them is their age, lot have been used and abused, "modded" with shit parts or just generally run into the ground. Also servicing ext is a bit of a faff as the old fashioned sports fairing is put on in about 900 pieces so you need a good 20 minutes of stripping down just to get to the oil filter

Running costs are next to nothing even my insurance was dirt cheap as the insurance company didn't class it as a supersport (because of the r6 being the same year) so that was a bonus.

All in all I don't think you'd go wrong with a decent one. I personally plan on buying another when I have the space and using it for trackdays and general hooning
« Last Edit: 19 August 2018, 11:16:09 pm by Dudeofrude »

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2018, 08:38:08 am »
A few years back I had an FZR600R foxeye loved the bike but at 40k and 2nd gear problems occurred at 27000miles swapped it for a thunder cat. It was not as quick as the FZRR didn't handle as well but was far more comfortable if I had to sum it up a decent all round do every thing 600. I didn't keep mine more than a few months bought another fzr600r foxeye with low mileage. If you do buy one check it doesn't jump out of second gear under medium/hard throttle use, it's a strip down of the gear box job fault usually occurs between 25k and 40k, other wise just check same as any other bike you would buy.   Hope that helped 

redfox1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2018, 08:10:28 pm »
Thanks for the replies.However, speaking to a very experienced mechanic,he mentioned the second gear problem as being quite common,and advised me to keep the Fazer,as it was the better bike! (Kinda put me off!)

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2018, 08:15:42 pm »
Certainly wouldn't disagree with the mechanic wouldn't swap a Fazer for one.