Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:52 pm

Author Topic: Brake Calipers  (Read 2591 times)

Rocket88

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Brake Calipers
« on: 16 August 2018, 08:14:53 am »
I know that this has been a topic that has been discussed multiple times on this forum but......

last night I managed to snap off one of the bleed nipples on the rear caliper :'(.  I'm hoping that I should able to remove the portion of the nipple left in the caliper.  It snapped off level with the body of the caliper.
I also know that getting hold of a second hand caliper is next to impossible as is getting one for an early fzs1000 it seems.....and I don't really want to pay £400 for a new one.

SO my question in 2 parts is :
Are there any other options when it comes to calipers that will fit? (from other bikes/years)

Any tips for getting this broken one out.  I'm hoping that an extractor in the hollow bolt and maybe a bit of heat will work, I have been applying oil to the tread hoping to break the tension.  I don't really want to have to re-thread the hole as I'm not very good at it.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Brake Calipers
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2018, 11:11:34 am »
Spray it with some penetrating release fluid and leave for a few hours or overnight.

Then perhaps tap a screwdriver bit into its centre, something like a hex or slotted bit.
Or reverse threaded extractor bit as you say - however I've had a bad experience with these extractors snapping off in the hole, perhaps mine were cheap.
The key is a nice tight fit, without the bit starting to spin in the hole.

If that fails even try a Left hand threaded drill bit (obviously drill running backwards) into the centre of the screw. Hopefully the leverage and backward pressure from the drill bit will release the screw from its thread.

Would be best doing this on a workbench, with the Caliper in a clamp, so you can get decent leverage/weight behind it, plus some precision. Best of luck! :)
« Last Edit: 16 August 2018, 11:24:56 am by F4celess »

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2018, 11:48:27 am »
If it isn’t leaking then you can get banjo bolts with bleed points on them.

Drilling them out can be a nightmare but it is possible. I’ve managed to do it by using a bit which is just slightly smaller than the threads then collapsing what’s left of the nipple by using a tiny screwdriver and a light hammer.

MBROWN62

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2018, 01:05:45 pm »
I had a similar 'oh s**t moment a couple of months ago and did the same as Trebus suggested.

Drill out the center of the screw (fairly easy as the hole is already there) as close as you dare to the diameter of the inside of the thread, using good quality carbon steel drill bits. I managed to get the remainder out without doing too much damage to the thread in the caliper by levering with a very small screwdriver. Very satisfying (and relieving) when it finally comes free!! I also had the caliper in a vice to keep it steady while working on it.

I replaced both of the rear and front bleed screws with stainless ones to try to avoid the problem in the future. Hope you have success too!  :)

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2018, 05:13:23 pm »
I agree with the others,either try tapping around the edge with a fine tipped punch at an angle anticlockwise or carefully drill it, I wouldn't use a extractor as it will more likely snap off (I've been there) then you won't be able to drill centre out.   

Rocket88

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 August 2018, 04:37:08 pm »
thanks for the advice guys....I had the 1st go but didn't get it out, left it soaking in oil.  I read on different post on the form about people using the banjo bolts with a bleed nipple in the centre.  Has anyone else used these?

deeteefifty

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 August 2018, 10:10:06 pm »
If there's enough metal surrounding the nipple and the job goes tits up it may be possible to drill and tap for a bigger diameter nipple.

nedworthy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 October 2018, 04:59:43 pm »
Just back to Rocket88's other Q . Given there are only a limited number of manufacturers who make brake calipers, does anyone know if any rear caliper from other bikes other than Yamaha (Suz, Hon, Kaw, KTM etc etc) would fit the 600 (02)?

daviee

« Reply #8 on: 04 October 2018, 05:42:19 pm »
fazer 1000 blue spot fits with minimal modding

nedworthy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 October 2018, 06:36:54 am »
Thnkx daviee, I know the 1000 fits, question was if any [size=78%]manufacturers other than Yamaha had the same rear calliper dimensions as the 600 -  asked on notion that , like carbon bicycle manufacture, there are not scores of factories making calipers, so it’s likely any one factory will make them for several brands ...so say for example circa 96 onwards ‘maybe’ Suzuki/ Honda etc used a rear calliper that would fit.......or maybe not. It’s just a curiosity. [/size]

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 October 2018, 10:34:04 am »
Thnkx daviee, I know the 1000 fits, question was if any [size=78%]manufacturers other than Yamaha had the same rear calliper dimensions as the 600 -  asked on notion that , like carbon bicycle manufacture, there are not scores of factories making calipers, so it’s likely any one factory will make them for several brands ...so say for example circa 96 onwards ‘maybe’ Suzuki/ Honda etc used a rear calliper that would fit.......or maybe not. It’s just a curiosity. [/size]

Little bit of TLC and red rubber grease once or twice a year and the original rear caliper works just fine.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 October 2018, 04:06:03 pm »
FZS600 caliper is almost unique to that model (thankfully).Other calipers have better design - they don't drain very well and seize unless Darrsi is around to clean them  ;)
When I had my FZS600, I fitted a TRX850 rear caliper hanger, torque arm, brake caliper and brake hose. Hose and caliper can be either from a TRX or even the YZF750, XJR1200, early XJR1300 or Thunderace. The TRX caliper hanger is a must, as it has the same axle diameter as the FZS600, so it fits straight on. I think a replacement torque arm is also needed but my bike already had an alternative one fitted.  Any of those replacement calipers mentioned above have larger, 43mm diameter pistons. So the same increased stopping power of the FZS1000 rear bluespot, but usually cheaper.
TRX850 rear caliper hanger: # 351896055586TRX850 torque arm: # 361569022804TRX850 rear hose: #311733644906Example of the rear caliper needed # 252065435795

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 October 2018, 06:44:24 am »

Little bit of TLC and red rubber grease once or twice a year and the original rear caliper works just fine.

Forgot to mention, i tend to use SBS Ceramic pads on the rear these days which help in keeping the brake dust down which is a big cause of seizing if not maintained regularly.
Organic pads for example would be the softest pads so would be very gentle on the disc but kick out the most dust.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

daviee

« Reply #13 on: 08 October 2018, 07:17:04 pm »
kebab does the xjr 1300 blue spot caliper fit ?

nedworthy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 October 2018, 03:31:34 pm »
Thnkx for replies, saves me pointlessly searching, so the 1000 route it is then .  :rolleyes

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 October 2018, 07:45:11 pm »
kebab does the xjr 1300 blue spot caliper fit ?
Yes it does, it's the same as the FZS1000's rear caliper

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 October 2018, 01:28:01 am »
I have the Mighty Thou blue spot calliper and Thou drilled alloy torque arm on my FZS600, not only does it look better it certainly pulls up better to, I got a big howl from the rear tyre the first time I dabbed the pedal, but you learn very quickly. I understand that water drains from this caliper better than the standard FZS600 caliper, so seizure and corrosion is not such a problem