Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > FZS600 Fazer

Brake Calipers

(1/4) > >>

Rocket88:
I know that this has been a topic that has been discussed multiple times on this forum but......

last night I managed to snap off one of the bleed nipples on the rear caliper :'(.  I'm hoping that I should able to remove the portion of the nipple left in the caliper.  It snapped off level with the body of the caliper.
I also know that getting hold of a second hand caliper is next to impossible as is getting one for an early fzs1000 it seems.....and I don't really want to pay £400 for a new one.

SO my question in 2 parts is :
Are there any other options when it comes to calipers that will fit? (from other bikes/years)

Any tips for getting this broken one out.  I'm hoping that an extractor in the hollow bolt and maybe a bit of heat will work, I have been applying oil to the tread hoping to break the tension.  I don't really want to have to re-thread the hole as I'm not very good at it.

F4celess:
Spray it with some penetrating release fluid and leave for a few hours or overnight.

Then perhaps tap a screwdriver bit into its centre, something like a hex or slotted bit.
Or reverse threaded extractor bit as you say - however I've had a bad experience with these extractors snapping off in the hole, perhaps mine were cheap.
The key is a nice tight fit, without the bit starting to spin in the hole.

If that fails even try a Left hand threaded drill bit (obviously drill running backwards) into the centre of the screw. Hopefully the leverage and backward pressure from the drill bit will release the screw from its thread.

Would be best doing this on a workbench, with the Caliper in a clamp, so you can get decent leverage/weight behind it, plus some precision. Best of luck! :)

Trebus:
If it isn’t leaking then you can get banjo bolts with bleed points on them.

Drilling them out can be a nightmare but it is possible. I’ve managed to do it by using a bit which is just slightly smaller than the threads then collapsing what’s left of the nipple by using a tiny screwdriver and a light hammer.

MBROWN62:
I had a similar 'oh s**t moment a couple of months ago and did the same as Trebus suggested.

Drill out the center of the screw (fairly easy as the hole is already there) as close as you dare to the diameter of the inside of the thread, using good quality carbon steel drill bits. I managed to get the remainder out without doing too much damage to the thread in the caliper by levering with a very small screwdriver. Very satisfying (and relieving) when it finally comes free!! I also had the caliper in a vice to keep it steady while working on it.

I replaced both of the rear and front bleed screws with stainless ones to try to avoid the problem in the future. Hope you have success too!  :)

bandit:
I agree with the others,either try tapping around the edge with a fine tipped punch at an angle anticlockwise or carefully drill it, I wouldn't use a extractor as it will more likely snap off (I've been there) then you won't be able to drill centre out.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version