Date: 29-03-24  Time: 08:15 am

Author Topic: Gen 2 mods??  (Read 2128 times)

Penguin-dog

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Gen 2 mods??
« on: 15 August 2018, 11:12:44 pm »
So I now own an 06 FZ1. Yay me!! Now as far as I am aware, and will soon get time to delve in amongst it all to confirm, the bike appears to be standard apart from a remus end can ( I believe cat removed)and black screen!!

Ive allready noticed the on/throttle snatch amongst a few other things.

But I am wondering weather the mods I've been reading about ie for the Air-box chopping and smaller butterfly valves etc. Are they all absolutly proven to help, as i have seen a few opinions to the contrary?? And can you do all or only some without the need for a power commander?

Tia.
Remember even if you fall flat on your face, your still moving forward!
And if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any!!

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Gen 2 mods??
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2018, 12:10:26 am »
To be honest anything more than the exhaust change and you'll need to start looking at a power commander. Even then all it will do is ensure the air to fuel ratio is good and help smooth the power out a little.

As for the on/off throttle response, the only way to fix that is an ecu reflash. You have the 2006 model which has the famously jerky throttle response :-( they greatly improved it in the 2007 onwards models.
A reflash will set you back around £350 but from all accounts your bike will run perfect from then on.

You could try and find an Ivans fuel cut eliminator but again the reviews of them seem to vary.

If you do decide to go down the tuning route then obviously the more mods you do the better. So the lars airbox mod is great (and free), the secondary flies can be either removed or cable tied open (again free) and the decat (If not already done) can be drilled and smashed out.... for free
Race downpipes are about the costliest part and they aren't completely necessary but will add an extra few bhp
 So not an expensive do and when you factor in the price of a power commander plus dyno runs then the ecu flash seems like a much better deal.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2018, 08:25:42 am »
A reflash will set you back around £350 but from all accounts your bike will run perfect from then on.
Why is this so expensive and why cant it be done with a laptop..? or failing that cant a 2007 ECU be sourced from the eBay / part-finder for less than that..?

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2018, 09:21:12 am »
Why is this so expensive and why cant it be done with a laptop..? or failing that cant a 2007 ECU be sourced from the eBay / part-finder for less than that..?

It technically could be done with a laptop and the right software but you'd be stabbing in the dark without the dyno runs to give you the right feedback. It'd be like doing a custom power commander map yourself.... but a lot more dangerous for the bike.

It's more than just fixing the on/off fuel problem; the ecu controls everything so you can find tune every aspect of the bikes running.
Remove gear limiters, fine tune fuelling (without a pc3 or pc5), advance the timing, lower the fan temp etc
There's a lot to it and it's done wrong it can completely destroy your engine.

As for fitting a later ecu, a few people fitted the 2010 as that apparently has the best Yamaha map on it; I think it doesn't help the fuel problem but not as much as a custom flash would.
I also don't know how it works with regard to the immobilizer etc because I may be wrong but I think your key is coded to the ecu?

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2018, 11:34:00 pm »
To be honest anything more than the exhaust change and you'll need to start looking at a power commander. Even then all it will do is ensure the air to fuel ratio is good and help smooth the power out a little.

As for the on/off throttle response, the only way to fix that is an ecu reflash. You have the 2006 model which has the famously jerky throttle response :-( they greatly improved it in the 2007 onwards models.

You could try and find an Ivans fuel cut eliminator but again the reviews of them seem to vary.

If you do decide to go down the tuning route then obviously the more mods you do the better. So the lars airbox mod is great (and free), the secondary flies can be either removed or cable tied open (again free) and the decat (If not already done) can be drilled and smashed out.... for free
Race downpipes are about the costliest part and they aren't completely necessary but will add an extra few bhp
 So not an expensive do and when you factor in the price of a power commander plus dyno runs then the ecu flash seems like a much better deal.
  where would the gains be if you just drilled and smashed the cat out ?
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2018, 07:43:42 am »

where would the gains be if you just drilled and smashed the cat out ?

You would need to combine it with the airbox mod and a slip on exhaust to see any benefit as you'd be trying to increase air flow; which would see gains higher up in the range; but in turn would then require more fuel (pc3, pc5) so the bike doesn't run lean

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 September 2018, 12:22:07 pm »
think I'll forget that one :lol
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 October 2018, 08:36:52 pm »
I removed the secondary butterflies completely along with decatting and a fce, but youll need a pc3r if that's the road you wanna go down mate. worth it though..

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 October 2018, 08:58:41 pm »
Then I tooth off the front cog and 5hrash the shit out of it on the track
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.