Date: 19-04-24  Time: 00:49 am

Author Topic: Add on lights/ spot lights/ running lights  (Read 758 times)

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
Add on lights/ spot lights/ running lights
« on: 11 August 2018, 04:35:51 pm »
Looking into getting some extra lighting and wondering if anyone has any recommendations?
Ebay, my go to site seems to mostly be selling the same very cheap looking lights which look as though they're more suited to a BMW gs1200 with bulky metal surrounds than a fazer. Also the picture of some of the beams look like a narrow focus hunting torch which could be a bit limiting.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
Re: Add on lights/ spot lights/ running lights
« Reply #2 on: 12 August 2018, 09:15:39 am »
Cheers darrsi

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2018, 04:00:40 pm »
Have been looking at these too. UK regulations (MOT) state the DRL's must go off when the Main (dipped) headlights are switched on. Which means DRL's do not function at night time (when using headlights). Also to note when a car puts it indicator on, the DRL on that side will often dim, to ensure the indicator is visible while flashing.

If there is a sufficient distance between the DRL light and the Indicator, I don't see that as necessary - considering with alot of Cars, the DRL is often incorporated into the same Light unit as the headlights.

With a MOTORCYCLE, you'd ideally want ALL lights on at the same time, and not some clever switching process with the headlights (making you much more visible to other road users). I think it might be best to incorporate the DRL's into the low beam circuit (as you have been doing - so they come on as the Light switch for low beam is operated) however also with an inline Switch on the handlebars, so the DRL's can be turned off selectively - MOT, etc ??

With DRL's there's a fine balance between function and looking like a cheap Christmas tree. It's good that there's plenty of 'bolt on' options on the market now to choose from. :)

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 August 2018, 11:25:40 pm »
I was considering wiring the spots into the high beam circuit as really I want these lights for touring in Europe where sometimes part of the travel involves night driving on unfamiliar totally unlit but very quiet roads where I would be using high beams mostly and would just switch to dipped beam for oncoming traffic. This would give me the lighting I need on the mountain roads but not effect my indicators being seen.

The idea of wiring the lights into the low beams to be more visible in the daylight isn't one I'd considered but I'm sure makes sense for some people although it seems as though having to lower the angle of the beam to avoid blinding other road users wastes some of the distance potential of these lights. If I were to go down the route I would fit a switch to dissable. This option is probably the best one but I'd look at mounting the lights lower down, say on the engine crash bars or maybe between the forks under the fairing. Without having a fiddle and seeing if they do obscure the indicators I'm not too sure.

Another thing I'd considered is wiring through the starter relay so they'd only work with ignition on and just use a handle bar switch as this would be the most flexible option but not the most practical to switch quickly.