Date: 18-04-24  Time: 09:30 am

Author Topic: Muc Off etc  (Read 1034 times)

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Muc Off etc
« on: 10 August 2018, 03:05:36 pm »
Does anyone use these types of products?

I have been using it for a bit (got 2 bottles at a closing down sale) but have noticed that whenever I need to do anything on the bike everything is bone dry rather than retaining any lubricant/grease!  Changed the tires, the front pinch bolt on the forks was proper dry and took a fair amount of force.  Likewise the spindle at the clamp end was bone dry and needed a lot of persuasion.  Rear spindle was the same.  My front brake lever was feeling a bit notchy so I took it off and cleaned/lubed the pivot points etc but again, the bolts,bushing etc were bone dry.

You could say that maybe it was the bike but I have serviced these things since owning and always greased them up etc, never had a problem before using this muc off.  Think I will give it a miss...

Intentionally left blank

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Muc Off etc
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2018, 03:15:22 pm »
Sounds like its a great de- greaser  :lol Nothing more than a damp rag for my dry weather riding or paraffin dampened rag for oily type areas 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2018, 03:18:04 pm »
Indeed sharpie!  Car shampoo/Paraffin has always been my preference... 
Intentionally left blank

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2018, 03:21:32 pm »
Auto Glym car shampoo for all bike and to remove chain lube spots from the rims swing arm tops and the under side of the rear fairing chain side a rag with WD40 sprayed on it.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 August 2018, 03:38:46 pm »
Used to use it on my dirt bike, but that was continually being fettled. It must have some acidic content as you can't leave it on alloy for too long before washing off, as the alloy will start to discolour.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 August 2018, 03:57:52 pm »
I used to use muc-off cleaner on my mountain bike... Before I realised it smelt the same as car windscreen wash, which is 5x cheaper, an awesome cleaner and proven safe on rubber, plastic and paint. I found it just as effective and assume it's the same stuff rebranded. ;-)
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 August 2018, 04:53:35 pm »
That Muc-Off should never be sprayed neat. It can actually permanently mark some materials if left too long, before being wiped afterwards. Perhaps this isn't noticed so much on a shiny bicycle frame.

I tend to only wash my (Motor)bike now using a large bucket of warm slightly soapy water (Meguiars shampoo), and a wash mitt. Hose rinse the bike afterwards, before drying with a microfiber cloth.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2018, 07:28:19 am »
That Muc-Off should never be sprayed neat. It can actually permanently mark some materials if left too long, before being wiped afterwards. Perhaps this isn't noticed so much on a shiny bicycle frame.

I tend to only wash my (Motor)bike now using a large bucket of warm slightly soapy water (Meguiars shampoo), and a wash mitt. Hose rinse the bike afterwards, before drying with a microfiber cloth.

I'm the same, bucket of warm water and some car shampoo, if I've none in I'll use a squirt of washing up liquid. I probably only wash 4 times a year as I like it dirty( the bike that is).
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.