Date: 29-03-24  Time: 10:48 am

Author Topic: Exhaust stud removal- should I attempt it????  (Read 1448 times)

hopefiendboy

• DAS Born Again
  • Second time Fazer owner- back to the womb
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - none
    • View Profile
Exhaust stud removal- should I attempt it????
« on: 08 August 2018, 10:57:50 pm »
Hi All

My exhaust studs are rusty. The front on the engine could be doing with a bit of TLC and repainting. I'd like to deal with both, but as the bike is running well as is, I wonder if I start on doing these taks I'm opening a can of worms and potentially an engine needing removed in order to remove snapped studs.  Pics:

The middle two sets of studs are more rusted.

I really like the bike.

And yes, whoever mounted them overtightened the studs so that the plates holding the headers on are bent!! Some folk eh! :-s

What would you do?
« Last Edit: 08 August 2018, 11:02:07 pm by hopefiendboy »

hopefiendboy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - none
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust stud removal- should I attempt it????
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2018, 11:00:14 pm »

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2018, 11:28:36 pm »
I would not touch the stud nuts personally as the bike is running o.k, the nuts have not been over tightened the brackets always seem to bend when installing a aftermarket exhaust system even torqued to the correct value, paint the engine with the exhaust in place.
Your pictures show a very rusty oil feed pipe, as this part is now discontinued I would replace it with this asap if it is as rusty as it looks, as posted by daviee.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153079619889

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2018, 04:09:06 pm »
I can't see your photo's with my phone...

Exhaust studs can be a nightmare though. Whatever you decide to do, i would suggest regularly spraying them with plusgas and/or some kind of rust treatment now.

When I bought my bike, mine sheared off with no effort whatsoever. Such little force that I hadn't even considered using heat or penetrator fluid first. :-(

If they shear off short or flush with the engine, their location makes them a pig to drill out... Then if you snap an easy-out in the hole :rolleyes you're proper screwed and it's a new head job.

If it ain't broke... perhaps it's a job for winter. ;-P
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

adasilva

• DAS Born Again
  • LIBERTAS QUÆ SERA TAMEN
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Fazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2018, 07:25:12 pm »
Hi there
Bretty is right. You need to spray them every you back from a ride as they will be hot and the oil will penetrate on the thread.
That is what i did when i replaced my pipes and every day i did a bit of turn on them nothing major and put back in place again.
 Also on the day that you are changing your pipes. Get a hand gas torch and heat them up and again spray them up.

After doing that my ones came out very easy.

Be careful if you see that they are not turning don't put too much force on them.

good luck!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2018, 07:45:57 pm »
Before I removed mine I used a penetrating liquid for weeks after a ride on a hot engine and use a syringe to get right in there and make sure it went where it was needed.     
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

hopefiendboy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - none
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2018, 11:47:17 am »
Thanks for the advice chaps- I have started this morning to feed the studs with penetrating oil and will do so for a fewweeks / months before I attempt the movement of the studs! Meantime I'll get on and do the fork service/ 15w oil/ fork leg painting etc. :-)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2018, 04:29:57 pm »
I am surprised to hear that people have bent the exhaust down-pipe/header flanges on the fixing collars, the studs are only 6mm threads how the hell do you bend a 6mm thick stainless steel flange with two 6mm threaded nuts? I would have thought that they would shear off before bending the flanges on the collars.
if you replace the studs use Stainless steel replacements and give them a dose of Copper Slip before putting the nuts on.
I remove the nuts from the studs each year or year and a half and re Copper Slip them, do them one header at a time that way the seals stay put as do the headers.
After the initial quarter undo turn I can remove the nuts with my fingers.
For aesthetics put a domed stainless steel nut on top of the manifold nut if also acts as a pinch nut, I have never in 3 years had one come undone       

bandit

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 August 2018, 04:51:17 pm »
Majority of the down pipe/header flanges on aftermarket pipes are cast alloy not stainless & will bend when torqued anywhere near to 10nm.Smile

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 August 2018, 07:49:39 pm »
Majority of the down pipe/header flanges on aftermarket pipes are cast alloy not stainless & will bend when torqued anywhere near to 10nm.Smile

Oh OK! thanks for the info maybe mine are alloy and not stainless steel.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 August 2018, 08:04:12 pm »

Oh OK! thanks for the info maybe mine are alloy and not stainless steel.

Hey! You're right, mine are indeed alloy, the magnet will not stick to them but it certainly does to the S/S headers.  :lol