Date: 28-03-24  Time: 17:47 pm

Author Topic: speeding ticket (NIP)  (Read 5388 times)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Re: speeding ticket (NIP)
« Reply #25 on: 09 August 2018, 08:44:06 am »
I got caught out 2 weeks ago on the M5 northbound approaching M42 where I failed to slow to 40mph quickly enough as had usual Audi/BMW/Merc following close behind.Have opted for a "motorway speed awareness course" next month to save getting the 3 points.  Was clocked at 47mph which, while I accept I was technically breaking the law, consider if I had braked might have resulted in being shunted in the rear. This section of the M5 is a joke as there has been a long term lane closure in place in lane 4 (which is lane 2  for M5 north). I can only assume this is to discourage motorists continuing up M5 through long term roadworks between J2 and J1 and to encourage them to use M42 instead. The result is a funnelling of traffic,last minute lane switching and delays for all concerned. Accidents continue to happen on the new "improved" 4 lane section of M5 from Worcester to M42 turn off and believe me speed isnt the main culprit-its lane hogging,switching,undertaking and following too close. Looking forward to being shown how to use motorway properly as I have only driven 3/4 million miles on these in the last 53 years!! :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 August 2018, 10:05:10 am »
Sort of same subject is "smart motorways". Doing the correct thing by using the old hard shoulder at night its a nightmare one min its active the next its not, other people wont give you a gap to get out of it. They create a shortened - altered approach for those joining the M way. I found myself at night on a section I do not know still driving along in the - now actual hard shoulder untill I came to a matrix sign just for me saying STAY OUT OF HARD SHOULDER.
So from now on I will not be using the "Smart" lane - cause its stupid and dangerous.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 August 2018, 06:03:28 pm »
Sort of same subject is "smart motorways". Doing the correct thing by using the old hard shoulder at night its a nightmare one min its active the next its not, other people wont give you a gap to get out of it. They create a shortened - altered approach for those joining the M way. I found myself at night on a section I do not know still driving along in the - now actual hard shoulder untill I came to a matrix sign just for me saying STAY OUT OF HARD SHOULDER.
So from now on I will not be using the "Smart" lane - cause its stupid and dangerous.

I've never used that lane.

My reckoning is that if anything appears to have been deliberately made more confusing than it needs to be, then there's a wallet lightening fine involved somewhere.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #28 on: 09 August 2018, 09:59:37 pm »
Averaging 140-150kmph (in a car), limit was 130kmph

I better be careful next week then.
I tend to stick to around 130 on the autorute though so shouldn't be too much of an issue.

The bigger issue for me will be the 80kmh limit they have everywhere else now
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #29 on: 10 August 2018, 08:43:47 am »
as a heads up, Mrs Robbie has just informed me that Devon & Cornwall out in force this weekend due to Boardmaster in Newquay.

not that I intend to go above legal limits for a while :)
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 10 August 2018, 03:59:28 pm »

Got my speed awareness course soon, cant wait !   63 in a 50.
I will pass on any useful tips I pick up on it,

I have now done three of these course, I read earlier in here that you are allowed 10% + 2mph before they prosecute you, I think that might be a digression thing as I got done doing 34 mph in a 30 limit on my Fazer by the old type Treveleo camera that could only take a pictures of the rear of your vehicle.
The original Gatso could not get you as the camera only took pictures of the front of your vehicle (No number plate on front of a bike)
There has been a new Treveleo camera out now for quite a while (Mostly in Norfolk area) The Treveleo D (Digital) it can take pictures forward and rearward facing.
My understanding is if you see a flash of a camera and there are no other vehicle about you have most likely be caught by an older rear shot Treveleo camera, because cameras that flash do not do so into a drivers eyes.
Most modern digital speed cameras do not require a flash, the same the van based cameras you see along the road, them bad boys can get you at any point as long as they can see you, 15 yards 600 yards makes no difference to them, I understand that they also have technology that allows the camera to clean up the image (Rain spray, mist and the like)

Most that you will be taught on the Drivers Awareness Course will just underline stuff that you already know. One thing I did learn though that I had never ever given a thought is that the speed limit on a motorway slip road is 70 mph, the national maximum speed limit.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #31 on: 10 August 2018, 04:09:44 pm »
I have now done three of these course, I read earlier in here that you are allowed 10% + 2mph before they prosecute you, I think that might be a digression thing as I got done doing 34 mph in a 30 limit on my Fazer by the old type Treveleo camera that could only take a pictures of the rear of your vehicle.

Speeding is whats known as an "absolute" offence. You are either speeding, or your not. There is no grey area. In a 30mph limit they could do you at 30.1mph but don't as the courts would be full up with people complaining. this is why the association of chief police officers set a discressionary +10%+2mph limt where they wouldnt presecute.
In reality, if you have a standard vehicle, at a real 70mph your speedo could legally be reading anything between 70-77mph. Regrdless of how accurate your speedo was when new with new tyres etc, once the tyres start wearing, the discrepency creeps in.

In the real world, 34mph probbaly read somewhere between 34-37 on your speedo so you knew you were OTT. No defence really.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10 August 2018, 05:47:23 pm »
It is not a fixed 10%+2mph across all the police forces. It varies across the country. MCN did a freedom of information thing on this very subject a couple of years ago and got a lot of varying answers.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10 August 2018, 05:50:32 pm »
Oh I was not complaining about being done at 34 mph, of course I would sooner I had not been done, but the bar has to be set somewhere, I have heard people say I was only doing walking pace over the 30 limit and the bastards done me, you have to start somewhere.
I expect to get a ticket if caught on camera doing one mile per hour over the limit and am always pleased when I don't.   

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 11 August 2018, 11:35:57 am »
The 10%+2 and 10%+9 discretionary limits also prevent lots of challenges against the accuracy of the camera. If I were done at 30.1 mph I'd be asking lots of questions about when the camera was last calibrated and tested.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 11 August 2018, 02:47:15 pm »
Oh I was not complaining about being done at 34 mph

I would be.

It's a ridiculous punishment for such a minor infringement when there was no accident and no-one suffered any loss or injury.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 12 August 2018, 08:11:11 am »
If you think 30mph is slow spare a thought for my area of South Birmingham where they have introduced a blanket 20mph zone.
If you drive/ride at 20mph you get tailgated/flashed by following cars. Even the police dont observe it travelling downhill on a certain road.
So at what point do previously law-abiding road users lose all respect for the law and join the ranks of the rest?
I think it would be in everyones interest if the police were able/willing to police our roads properly and focus on the really serious offenders who seem to get away with all sorts.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 12 August 2018, 08:56:41 am »
I think it would be in everyones interest if the police were able/willing to police our roads properly and focus on the really serious offenders who seem to get away with all sorts.

That'll be the day! :lol

Ordinary, decent road users are the ones that cough up all the cash for petty infringements without any fuss or bother ;)

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 31 August 2018, 09:24:12 am »
ref the post about motorway gantry cameras saying do 60 and flash you doing 70

a speed limit is only enforceable if the speedgate sign is surrounded by a red circle as per the road signs you see. If it's a smart m/way then they have the ability to do this on the electronic signs but if any m/way sign just states a figure e.g. 60 and it's orange with no red circle then its only an advisory speed and you cannot be done for speeding
fire never sleeps

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 31 August 2018, 09:54:46 am »
ref the post about motorway gantry cameras saying do 60 and flash you doing 70

a speed limit is only enforceable if the speedgate sign is surrounded by a red circle as per the road signs you see. If it's a smart m/way then they have the ability to do this on the electronic signs but if any m/way sign just states a figure e.g. 60 and it's orange with no red circle then its only an advisory speed and you cannot be done for speeding

Yeah, tend to see these flash up on the motorway where they warn of queues ahead, or even "traffic calming" ahead. M25 is a good one, north of Heathrow.
I do wonder if the Cameras on the gantry then know this sudden change of speed limit based on the flashing sign that pops up, so will flash you doing 61mph, while you are slowing down from 70... or they are "set" for 70mph. :shrug

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 31 August 2018, 10:54:54 am »
I got done doing 74 in a downhill 40mph dual carriageway.
I was being tailgated by a BMW so just tried to move away from it.
Copper was alright, 3 points and £60 fine.

Few years later got pulled in exactly the same spot, it was literally just me on the road. Then had some crazy but good looking policewoman staring into my eyes to see if i'd back off in case i was on drink or drugs but i just stood there until our noses were nearly touching.  :lol
Can't remember the speed, but same points and fine again, although i'm sure the other one had already expired by then.

It's on my way home from work so just take it easy on that road now, whilst watching everyone else fly past me.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 01 September 2018, 05:01:28 pm »
should've told her she had gorgeous eyes and smelt great, you may have walked :lol
fire never sleeps

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 01 September 2018, 08:05:43 pm »
should've told her she had gorgeous eyes and smelt great, you may have walked :lol

It was quite obvious straight  away that she'd been taught to stand in your comfort zone to see if paranoia kicks in and if you shy away then you're guilty of something.
I found it to be a little bit rude rather than intimidating but just let her get on with it.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 08 September 2018, 09:36:03 am »
and that gets my goat but can't be arse posting elsewhere :lol
imagine you approach a cop and get in their face, I bet you'd be arrested for aggressive behaviour

just watched a great show on BBC I recorded last week or two?
NYPD New York's biggest gang......about cop watchers who record cops behaviour after all the black people who have been killed by cops. Oddly enough, the cops don't like it back at them and make life difficult for those with the camera's. Well worth seeking out on I Player
fire never sleeps