Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:41 pm

Author Topic: speeding ticket (NIP)  (Read 5381 times)

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
speeding ticket (NIP)
« on: 06 August 2018, 07:41:24 am »
more a heads up than anything else!

just got a NIP through from Avon & Somerset Police doing 81 on A303.. on my bike by a mobile unit... fair cop yep hands up it was me...
paid the £100 fine & took the 3 points no issue or complaints  :o
looked at photos and the camera was over other carriageway!!
in the picture the ARMCO separating the lanes is clearly seen and I am riding away from him
I never realised that they could do that!! my ignorance, my fault.. so from now on when I seen a camera on the other side I wont laugh at others heading towards it!!!
oh n I will slow down too hahaha
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
Re: speeding ticket (NIP)
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2018, 11:29:44 am »
I use that road a lot to visit my parents in Devon, a worry - what section was the camera on? And when did this happen? I only ask as I was visiting the folks last week but, as the weather was so nice, came home on the A30 instead... Possible lucky escape as I ALWAYS do around 80 on the A303.. (Doesn't everyone??)
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #2 on: 06 August 2018, 11:36:42 am »
I use that road a lot to visit my parents in Devon, a worry - what section was the camera on? And when did this happen? I only ask as I was visiting the folks last week but, as the weather was so nice, came home on the A30 instead... Possible lucky escape as I ALWAYS do around 80 on the A303.. (Doesn't everyone??)

it was on the A303 3 miles east of Sparkford 27/7 about 11:15
( just before you get to Maccy D'd / Yeovil roundabout!

I use it weekly to commute from Portsmouth to Falmouth, leaving Pompy approx. 10am  but have been coming back Via A30 as its such a nice ride (and virtually empty on a Sunday (5pm -8pm)
yeah that stretch of 303 is just after you have been held up on single carriageway and you can open up..
just be aware of cameras on other side of carriageway!
the pisser is I had flashed and warned couple of other bikes heading towards it to be aware but got caught myself... oh well lesson learnt!!

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 August 2018, 12:12:33 pm »
What is the limit on that stretch. That's a bit harsh if it's a national speed limit.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 August 2018, 12:16:51 pm »
Incidentally I got flashed in France a couple of times on Friday night. Once by a regular speed camera, the second time between toll booths! That's a new one. Collected ticket at gate one.. Arrived at tollgate two to oay, about 100km down the road. As my passenger inserted payment card into the toll gate. BIG *##FLASH##* and had our photo taken.
Touch wood these tickets never seem to catch up with me.
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #5 on: 06 August 2018, 12:24:45 pm »
What is the limit on that stretch. That's a bit harsh if it's a national speed limit.

yeah its National speed limit so 70, I was recorded doing 81!
hey ho! I broke the law & got caught. I can't complain.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: 06 August 2018, 01:02:52 pm »
Incidentally I got flashed in France a couple of times on Friday night. Once by a regular speed camera, the second time between toll booths! That's a new one. Collected ticket at gate one.. Arrived at tollgate two to oay, about 100km down the road. As my passenger inserted payment card into the toll gate. BIG *##FLASH##* and had our photo taken.

What sort of speed were you doing along the autoroute?
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 August 2018, 04:42:23 pm »
Possible lucky escape as I ALWAYS do around 80 on the A303.. (Doesn't everyone??)

No.

paid the £100 fine & took the 3 points no issue or complaints  :o

Except it's out of all proportion to the infringement.

Don't they let shoplifters off without even a fine if it's their first offence nowadays?

And there's a bloke still driving legally with about 70 points on his licence. I'd be surprised if he's shelling out the £100 each time out of his own pocket.

One rule for one and one for another :rolleyes

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 August 2018, 09:03:43 pm »
Motorist whether car drivers, bikers, HGVs, who are mainly law abiding, hard working, honest people, and as such are just an easy target to fill the treasury coffers. The few others are not going to pay or take any notice of what the courts say or do to them.

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 August 2018, 09:12:12 pm »
Possible lucky escape as I ALWAYS do around 80 on the A303.. (Doesn't everyone??)

No.

you're right - just about everyone else goes quite a bit faster.

« Last Edit: 06 August 2018, 09:13:29 pm by steeeve66 »
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 August 2018, 10:01:47 pm »
A good heads up on the camera on the other side of the road catching you.Another one is the overhead gantry's on M- ways if you are going along at 70 and see the sign ahead saying 60- or whatever, make sure you are doing the indicated speed when you pass under it. I saw a car get flashed at the first gantry with the 60 sign lit up. I say this because when I am in the car and see the 60 sign I don't usually brake but just let off the gas and let the car slow naturally so I am maybe doing still doing 65 -66 when I pass under but very shortly after I will be at 60, but will from now on make sure I am at the correct speed as I pass under.     
« Last Edit: 06 August 2018, 10:02:45 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 August 2018, 11:12:42 pm »
Usual guideline is that they don't NIP you if you're within 10%+2, so you should be OK in a 70 up to 79. That's true speed of course, not indicated, so on the speedo it might read 83ish? Some Police forces will offer a Speed Awareness Course for recorded speeds up to 10%+9, so in a 70 that's 86, which might even show 90 on the speedo.  On a SAC you pay more or less the same fine, don't get points, but are patronised for about 6 hours. How do I know this..... :-(
« Last Edit: 06 August 2018, 11:14:46 pm by mtread »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 August 2018, 11:42:54 pm »
When eventually I caught out it will cost me more than most because I have a paper licence and I believe I will need to pay for a photo one

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 August 2018, 07:56:21 am »

No.

you're right - just about everyone else goes quite a bit faster.

True :lol

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 August 2018, 08:07:11 am »

A good heads up on the camera on the other side of the road catching you.Another one is the overhead gantry's on M- ways if you are going along at 70 and see the sign ahead saying 60- or whatever, make sure you are doing the indicated speed when you pass under it. I saw a car get flashed at the first gantry with the 60 sign lit up. I say this because when I am in the car and see the 60 sign I don't usually brake but just let off the gas and let the car slow naturally so I am maybe doing still doing 65 -66 when I pass under but very shortly after I will be at 60, but will from now on make sure I am at the correct speed as I pass under.   

The only person I've ever seen going through those variables observing the speed limit is myself.

In my experience virtually no one makes any attempt to slow down to the displayed speed. Maybe the 40mph ones a bit, but not the others.

I'd always assumed that they know something I don't.

Normally when you take you're foot of the gas, the bloke behind nearly runs into the back of you before swerving into the next lane in order to proceed as normal.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 August 2018, 12:48:14 pm »
When eventually I caught out it will cost me more than most because I have a paper licence and I believe I will need to pay for a photo one
I’ve had a few NIPs since the paper licence was replaced by the photocard one, they always send the paper one back with the points added… there’s no obligation to change to the plastic version if your other details are unchanged.

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 August 2018, 06:48:31 pm »

The only person I've ever seen going through those variables observing the speed limit is myself.

In my experience virtually no one makes any attempt to slow down to the displayed speed. Maybe the 40mph ones a bit, but not the others.

Normally when you take you're foot of the gas, the bloke behind nearly runs into the back of you before swerving into the next lane in order to proceed as normal.

Just following the '..assumed that they know something I don't' - two years ago the A2 out of London was fitted with average speed cameras and still, two years later, I get past by both cars and bikes doing a whole heap more than the 50 limit?

Ditto the gantry variables on the M25 - it's like me and one Nissan Micra slow to the correct speed while every Merc and his bastad BMW scream passed, apparently knowing something I don't... ?%*!
« Last Edit: 07 August 2018, 07:36:57 pm by steeeve66 »

Steven Wright

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 August 2018, 07:22:26 pm »
I’ve had a few NIPs since the paper licence was replaced by the photocard one, they always send the paper one back with the points added… there’s no obligation to change to the plastic version if your other details are unchanged.
Ah that's good then.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 August 2018, 07:26:06 pm »

Just following the '..assumed that they know something I don't' - two years ago the A2 out of London was fitted with average speed cameras and still, two years later, I get past by both cars and bikes doing a whole heap more than that?

Ditto the gantry variables on the M25 - it's like me and one Nissan Micra slow to the correct speed while every Merc and his bastad BMW scream past, apparently knowing something I don't... ?%*!

Yes I have seen this too - its like there must be something wrong with my speedo. But I have seen some who zoom past with no fear because they DO now something I don't - which is that the next set to calculate your speed will be after they have left the M way   

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 August 2018, 08:01:55 pm »
But I have seen some who zoom past with no fear because they DO now something I don't - which is that the next set to calculate your speed will be after they have left the M way

Except haven't I often seen them positioned at or even beyond the exit to prevent this?
If they're front facing, I don't pay them as much heed, except I'm always wary in case they've thrown another type of camera in somewhere as well. But I think they're switching more and more to rear facing cameras now. Although I'm apt to just settle in anyway if the traffic is heavy.

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #20 on: 08 August 2018, 06:58:13 am »

my NIP does state that if you have a paper part of your licence to send it and it will be retained & destroyed as it is lo longer valid.(I'm guessing that's if you don't have a photo licence.  I thought you had to get your photo licence renewed every 10 years? (just checked & mine runs out in 2020!)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 August 2018, 10:09:59 am »
I've only recently got a photo type license and there is no longer any accompanying paperwork, which I believe was the case when ID licenses first came out.
Having a photo style license did me a favour on my trip to europe this year. I managed to lose my passport on my travels, but fortunately had a record of my passport number, which together with the ID license, resulted in minimal hassle at passport control.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08 August 2018, 11:51:43 am »

my NIP does state that if you have a paper part of your licence to send it and it will be retained & destroyed as it is lo longer valid.(I'm guessing that's if you don't have a photo licence.  I thought you had to get your photo licence renewed every 10 years? (just checked & mine runs out in 2020!)
Ah yes I think that is where I got it from that way in my mind. I only have a paper licence issued some time in the 80s and if I have to send it off to have points then like you say it will need to be replaced with a plastic photo one. These original paper only ones do not have have to be renewed until you reach 70. 

Flooky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 August 2018, 01:53:22 pm »

Got my speed awareness course soon, cant wait !   63 in a 50.
I will pass on any useful tips I pick up on it,

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 August 2018, 09:31:55 pm »

What sort of speed were you doing along the autoroute?

Averaging 140-150kmph (in a car), limit was 130kmph
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-