Date: 18-04-24  Time: 13:40 pm

Author Topic: Probably a silly question.....  (Read 1008 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Probably a silly question.....
« on: 05 August 2018, 11:33:45 am »
Is it alright to mix fully synth and semi synth oils?

Both are Castrol Power 1, one is the racing and the other is standard.

I only ask as my local auto store has got an offer on the semi where you get 5 litres for the price of 4 and I already have 1 litre of fully synth in the garage, (as well as an engine fully of it)
Just thinking I can use the remaining 1 litre of fully synth mixed with 2 litres of semi and I'll still have 3 litres of it left for the next oil change?

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Probably a silly question.....
« Reply #1 on: 05 August 2018, 12:11:21 pm »
It's not a silly question  :)

First of all what's the recommended oil for your bike? If it's semi synth then go ahead. Semi synth is a mix of fully synth and mineral oil. All semi synth bikes may benefit from using fully synth but definitely not mineral oil. All you would be doing is increasing the amount of fully synth in the mix if that makes sense. Just make sure the oils are the same weight and viscosity (e.g. 10w40), So you should have no problems with the castrol.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 August 2018, 10:47:15 pm »
Thanks C-Dog, ive gone with the semi so will be service time on my next day off.

Along them lines.... does anyone know roughly how long the washable air filters are meant to last? I've got a pipercross on there that was on when I got the bike 2 years ago, do they last indefinitely or do they still need to be replaced every now and again?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2018, 09:20:14 am »
Regarding the Pipercross air filters, it depends on how much use the bike gets. I clean and re-oil mine roughly every 18 months, but don't use the bike in winter. Pipercross do a dedicated maintenance kit which is quite reasonable, and straightforward to use.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2018, 09:36:26 am »
Regarding the Pipercross air filters, it depends on how much use the bike gets. I clean and re-oil mine roughly every 18 months, but don't use the bike in winter. Pipercross do a dedicated maintenance kit which is quite reasonable, and straightforward to use.

Yeah I have the maintenance kit and use it yearly 👍 I was just wondering when you know it needs replacing.
 On old bikes I've just had standard filters that I have replaced every service

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2018, 12:09:57 pm »
Sorry, didn't read your post properly,doh. I'd have thought if it cleans up ok, then carry on using it, bearing in mind I've got carbs, and wouldn't know if injected bikes are a bit more "fussy". :)

Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.