Date: 28-03-24  Time: 22:23 pm

Author Topic: Time for new chain and sprockets?  (Read 4303 times)

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Time for new chain and sprockets?
« on: 02 August 2018, 05:01:00 pm »
I think it is time for new chain and sprockets.I bought the bike with 15000 miles and now done 22000.The bike had a tight spot when I got it and it just got worse, although the sprockets look ok the tight spot is bothering me as it is very loose else were.
I have cleaned and lubed regularly. On inspection I noticed that there are a few o rings missing and believe this to be the problem.
So a new chain set I think is in order,  but what to buy?
O ring? X ring? Heavy duty?  extra heavy duty? Gold ?and what make?
Any idea's and where to buy from as I hear there are a lot fake and cheap Chinese crap out there,and one final question, do you really need the Yamaha silent front sprocket?  is there a difference?

ProdigalSon

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Time for new chain and sprockets?
« Reply #1 on: 02 August 2018, 06:53:23 pm »
Personally I'm a big fan of the Supersprox sprockets and DID gold chains which is what will be going on mine when the current chain and sprckets that are on there need replacing. Either or X ring will be fine, personally I go with an O ring chain but the X ring is apparently better. Like you my chain and sprockets were in the bike when I bought mine and they were new so even though they are budget items I couldn't see the point of throwing them away. And yes I would go for the silent sprocket, it need not be a Yamaha one there are others out there but I like my transmission to run as smoothly and quietly as possible. :)

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 August 2018, 07:30:34 pm »
Has any one had any experience with the Ognibene  silent sprockets and DID vx  gold chain sets?
Are they silent and would you know the difference with ear plugs,but helmet and engine noise?

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
  • www.thesundogs.uk Rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • The Sundogs - rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots!
« Reply #3 on: 02 August 2018, 09:00:56 pm »
After advice on this 4m about various sprockets & chains, I have just fitted a DID ZVM-X chain on the principal that it seems to be the best quality chain.

I went for Obigene silent front & rear sprockets, again because they seem like very good quality compared to other more well known brands & I felt like trying what seems to be a good, & hopefully quiet, sprocket set...no time to test ride as yet as I haven't quite finished mods, maintenance (& repairs :rolleyes ) yet!

Life a tad frantic at moment but soon as I get a chance to ride I'll post up some feedback! :)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 August 2018, 07:09:58 pm »
 My understanding is that DID ZVM is the OE spec chain. 
Bear in mind that if you go for an aftermarket front sprocket, as they don’t have the big nylon insert (well I think it’s nylon), you will get more transmission noise.
I fitted DID ZVM and renthal sprockets front and rear.  Not long replaced the front renthal again as after 17,000 miles it had worn to a degree.  I can detect no stretch and there is minimal wear on the rear sprocket. 

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 August 2018, 07:11:26 pm »
Those sprockets look interesting Andy.

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 August 2018, 07:19:14 pm »
I have been looking at the Ognibene silent sprockets and DID vx gold set from M&P at £ 122.Never seen any reports about them and would be interested in Andy's opinion.
What is the difference between vx and vzm chain's.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 August 2018, 08:18:28 pm »
I have been looking at the Ognibene silent sprockets and DID vx gold set from M&P at £ 122.Never seen any reports about them and would be interested in Andy's opinion.
What is the difference between vx and vzm chain's.

Price :lol   It's a lot dearer.  But then 17,000 miles with no stretch.  I set the chain tension when I put a new tyre on, and re-set it for the next tyre.  That's every 5-6k on Pilot Road 3's.  I use a Scottoiler which helps.
Anyway google is your geek - http://www.didchain.com/streetChains.html

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 August 2018, 10:22:55 pm »
I've just fitted one of those ognibene front sprockets, a -1 15 tooth and it seems pretty damn quite to me. I don't have as much experience as many of you guys but it felt like a very good quality part and runs real nice on the bike

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 August 2018, 12:46:27 pm »
I have booked my bike to go in next week for new chain and sprockets,  the mechanic has strongly advised me not to fit a vx chain and use a zvm chain because of the power and weight of the bike.He has quoted for a DID gold zvm chain and good quality sprockets with  a silent front for £178 plus fitting,which he says should be quick and easy , I am having a few other jobs done at the same time ,mostly a brake service.
So will not be trying the Ognibene set which he has never heard of.
He advises all his customers to fit a silent front sprocket as they do work and worth spending a bit extra.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 August 2018, 08:38:45 pm »
I'm shortly due for a chain and sprocket change. I'm planning on using a genuine front sprocket with a Renthal rear. Where could I get the best deal on a gold DID zvm-x ring chain?.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 August 2018, 02:14:21 pm »
First ride out with DID ZVM-X chain & Obigene Silent front & rear sprockets.............
Verdict...................
Fekking lovely!  :D

I would not use the ZVM chain as my bike is Ivanised as these are pretty powerful bikes anyway.

I got my chain here:

https://www.arracing.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=1_764_532&product_id=1104

Slightly irritatingly although I did request that they cut it down to 116 links before sending they didn't, meaning time spent doing it myself.

My sprockets came from here:

https://www.biketorqueracing.co.uk/parts/chains-and-sprockets/front-sprockets.htm?make=yamaha&model=fzs1000%20fazer&year=2004&prod_brand=ognibene-trofeo

https://www.biketorqueracing.co.uk/buy/ognibene-trofeo-ognibene-silent-sprocket/368059r44.htm#eq1

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 August 2018, 04:13:41 pm »
Thanks for the info Andy. Arracing was who I had in mind for the chain. Because I want to use an OE gearbox sprocket, the price of that is just a few quid less than your front and rear combined, so will be quite an expensive bit of maintenance.

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 August 2018, 07:35:57 pm »
Thanks for the info Andy. Arracing was who I had in mind for the chain. Because I want to use an OE gearbox sprocket, the price of that is just a few quid less than your front and rear combined, so will be quite an expensive bit of maintenance.

You're dead set on an OEM front?......just curious as to why esp. as you are going aftermarket for the rear...............I'm not convinced that OEM is always better quality than anyone else's & for me I figured a "silent" front & rear has to be better than just a "silent" OEM front.

The factory fitted tyres are not always the best feel on a bike (subjective of course) & I like K&N oil filters, iridium plugs & Pipercross or K&N air filters 'cos I think they are better than OEM & often cheaper.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 August 2018, 08:26:41 pm »
Andy,
I get where you're coming from re:tyres,plugs etc. The OE front sprocket has been fine for 22k miles, whereas the Ognibene one is a bit of an unknown longevity wise, so a case of devil you know I suppose in my case. :)

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 August 2018, 11:37:50 am »
My mechanic is supplying my chain set , I could have got it a bit cheaper but he can get a bit funny about fitting bits that he does not know and not supplied him self.And he will guarantee the parts and work.He is fitting a quiet front sprocket, but it is not OME and I think J T? make one?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 August 2018, 07:43:11 pm »
Hi Ricky,
Yep you're correct, JT do make a silent front sprocket. I'm not in a rush so will give the subject some thought.

Flooky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 August 2018, 07:51:14 pm »
I wonder, with earplugs and or a loud pipe whether sprocket noise would be an issue..?

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 August 2018, 12:28:18 pm »
Fitted a new chain and sprockets to mine this weekend. After 4 years and 25,000 miles, the front sprocket was well hooked.Ordered from Wemoto. They supplied a JT rear sprocket and the front sprocket came with what looks like a rubber doughnut bonded to either side. I'm assuming this is a "silent" sprocket. All in cost £104.00Worst bit of the job - cleaning 4 years/25,000 miles of scottoiler residue from under the front sprocket cover/swinging arm pivot area!Rode to work this morning - almost, but not quite, turbine smooth.

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 August 2018, 10:44:49 am »
Had the new chain and sprockets fitted yesterday. The bike has done 22000 miles and they where the original set, mechanic says front sprocket was in very bad condition even though the rear was ok. The chain to was well worn out.The new DID ZVMX gold chain looks very smart and I think on the short ride home the bike did sound quieter than the trip to the mechanics. I was listening out for noise on both trips.I wonder if this chain will stretch very much? I will check after a few rides .Now the big question,chain lube, my mechanic says do not use wax, dry lube or grease, any good quality chain lube is ok but must be applied straight after a good ride so the chain is warm, which I always do any way.I asked him about using WD40 as I have read a lot of people use it. He says it is great for cleaning but he thinks it will not stay on the chain and not to bother with it.I have been using WD40 no fling chain lube since I had the bike, what are you using?

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 August 2018, 02:57:25 pm »
Scottoiler.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 August 2018, 03:50:31 pm »
WD40 and WD40 Chain Lube are two different products. I would not use WD40 as a lubricant for anything as this is not its intended purpose. Personally after a long run I will clean off the chain with a rag and then apply SAE 90 gearbox oil whilst the chain is still warm between the plates and also between the inside plates and rollers, then wipe off the excess. This method has served me well for many years and keeps the chain clean and looking like new, as opposed to filthy and covered in gunk.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 August 2018, 05:28:52 pm »
Chain lubewise, I've been using Wurth high performance dry chain lube for quite a few years now, no reason to consider anything else.

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 August 2018, 09:37:13 am »
I use a Scottoiler with the dual dispenser tips to get at both sides of the sprocket & chain, but fill it with EP80w90 gear oil rather than Scottoil.
Keeps the chain beautifully oiled all the time, is much cheaper than using Scottoil and doesn't leave sticky gunk everywhere.
There is some oil flung around a bit that needs keeping on top of though, but is far easier to clean off than than Scottoil.

Adjust the Scottoiler delivery rate down a bit as it's thinner than the Scottoil.

Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 August 2018, 03:07:00 pm »
PieEater's method is admirably detailed, diligent & no doubt the best for chain & sprocket longevity - but personally, as a lazy twonk, I use a dual feed Scottoiler!  :o